You feel a cold, steel object pressed against your temple...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If your pistol is not already in your hand, then your best weapon at this point is your vehicle. Divert the attacker's gun and drive your way out of the situation.

Some may feel that simply submitting and getting out is the best move, but when I've got two kids in car seats behind me, it isn't an option-- period.

Situational awareness is good-- you may avoid this altogether. Always leave some space between you and the car ahead of you. A good rule of thumb is "Can I see where the car's rear tires meet the pavement?"

If you do submit and let him have your car, I would NOT recommend shooting as he drives away. The threat to your life is over the minute he takes off. Trying to "blow his tires" is wishful thinking, takes great marksmanship, and puts other innocents at greater risk for little reward.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Situational awareness can keep you out of most situations like this. Much better to avoid, than try and firure out how to extricate.........

My exact thing. How to get out of that situation? Never get into it.

Best thing in my mind would be get out, let them have the car, then put a gun to their head, but YOU pull the trigger (something they may not do as they dont want to escalate their sentence). Screw the years invested crap, my life is worth more than some friggin car. Let em have the damned thing.:draw:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    The reality hear folks is that we are all talking big on the net. I bet my best briches that most of us, absolutely including myself would **** themselves silly with a barrel against the skull!!! And I am trained to think clear headed during high stress situations, yup pissing myself works for me. I would like to think when I had the opprotunity to react I could though. :dunno:

this sounds right.

your BEST chance would probly be to stomp the gas. far down on the list of things which will probly WORK is trying to draw your weapon and fire. with a gun to your temple? facing away from the threat, with gun holstered, in a car? if he is intent to kill you, yer dead as soon as you try to draw.

to anyone who hasn't tried to draw their weapon while seated in a car, driver side..... give it a shot. its not easy. and the worst time to try it FIRST would be with a gun to your head...

and, for goodness sakes, don't shoot them in the back!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    this sounds right.

your BEST chance would probly be to stomp the gas. far down on the list of things which will probly WORK is trying to draw your weapon and fire. with a gun to your temple? facing away from the threat, with gun holstered, in a car? if he is intent to kill you, yer dead as soon as you try to draw.

to anyone who hasn't tried to draw their weapon while seated in a car, driver side..... give it a shot. its not easy. and the worst time to try it FIRST would be with a gun to your head...

and, for goodness sakes, don't shoot them in the back!

After after finally figure out how to do it with out getting tangled in your seat belt, then practice it in a winter coat.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    The reality hear folks is that we are all talking big on the net. I bet my best briches that most of us, absolutely including myself would **** themselves silly with a barrel against the skull!!! And I am trained to think clear headed during high stress situations, yup pissing myself works for me. I would like to think when I had the opprotunity to react I could though. :dunno:

You sir said it! I realize that I no longer have a option that doesn't give me the better chance of surviving if I make a movement to drive off. I would like to think that it's possible for me to dodge a bullet this is traveling at the speed of sound but deep down I'm not quicker than it.

By these responses you are basically saying that if someone was out a couple hundred yards you could easily divert your body to one side or the other and dodge the bullet. I realize I couldn't. No training will teach you that. :dunno::rockwoot: :twocents:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    If your pistol is not already in your hand, then your best weapon at this point is your vehicle. Divert the attacker's gun and drive your way out of the situation.

Some may feel that simply submitting and getting out is the best move, but when I've got two kids in car seats behind me, it isn't an option-- period.

Situational awareness is good-- you may avoid this altogether. Always leave some space between you and the car ahead of you. A good rule of thumb is "Can I see where the car's rear tires meet the pavement?"

If you do submit and let him have your car, I would NOT recommend shooting as he drives away. The threat to your life is over the minute he takes off. Trying to "blow his tires" is wishful thinking, takes great marksmanship, and puts other innocents at greater risk for little reward.

That's why I had said start to open the car door slowly then slam it against him and get him off balance by surprise and smash the gas. For me this would work as both of my cars are pretty dang quick and I know how to drive them to the max ability. My SHO may look like a POS but it'll still surprise the heck out of a lot of high 14 sec cars. :rockwoot:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    He's way too close and I think he would remain that way if I got out of the car. Therefore, he's mine (at least I hope so, if all goes well). I'm not comfortable leaving my life up to his judgment.

Action beats reaction. Try it with some AirSoft guns and see what you think.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom