You feel a cold, steel object pressed against your temple...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    As titled, a friend/member and I were talking about how we would react if we were sitting a stop light when approached by a person with a gun. But to take this further we are both car guys and VALUE are possessions very highly. Another words, we hate thieves and believe they deserve nothing but another breathing hole between there eyes.

We both set the scenarios to a basic car guys lifestyle. Say you own a car/truck whatever and have invested 5-10yrs into this car and 15k or more into it and have had more than one and not less than a million long nights laying in bed thinking of how you could change this or that.

It comes down to a calm night sitting at a stop light when you are approached by someone who puts a gun to your head and demands the vehicle or else. What's your reaction?

Variables we discussed.

1) You don't have a gun with you.

2) You are with your significant other.

3) You are by yourself.

4) You are armed with your handgun and have it on your side or within reach.

Keep in mind, you are literally being held at gun point. Barrel is resting against temple. Area you are in doesn't matter as you are the focal point and have only seconds to react, so let's hear it.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    As titled, a friend/member and I were talking about how we would react if we were sitting a stop light when approached by a person with a gun. But to take this further we are both car guys and VALUE are possessions very highly. Another words, we hate thieves and believe they deserve nothing but another breathing hole between there eyes.

We both set the scenarios to a basic car guys lifestyle. Say you own a car/truck whatever and have invested 5-10yrs into this car and 15k or more into it and have had more than one and not less than a million long nights laying in bed thinking of how you could change this or that.

It comes down to a calm night sitting at a stop light when you are approached by someone who puts a gun to your head and demands the vehicle or else. What's your reaction?

Variables we discussed.

1) You don't have a gun with you. I drive off:)

2) You are with your significant other. I drive off:)

3) You are by yourself.I drive off:)

4) You are armed with your handgun and have it on your side or within reach.
    I get out and let him have it,shoot the back tire out then run for cover,call the police then once all info is givin and what not go change my flat tire and drive off....on second hand that seems like alot of work,Ill just drive on this one too:)

Keep in mind, you are literally being held at gun point. Barrel is resting against temple. Area you are in doesn't matter as you are the focal point and have only seconds to react, so let's hear it.

:yesway:

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Wow, he said he would do the same.

I believe that if in fact the perp had a gun and it was ready to fire, which I would assume that every gun is. Then I would get out of the car and open fire on him if I had my firearm if I didn't have it I would still get out I believe to improve my chance of surviving the scenario.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Situational awareness can keep you out of most situations like this. Much better to avoid, than try and firure out how to extricate.........

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Situational awareness indeed. I usually look around when I see that I am going to be sitting at a stop light. I most always leave enough room in front of my truck for any type of issue that may happen to where I need to drive off in a hurry. I do the same when stopped by a train, who knows when the damn thing will jump off the track?, and with my luck, I'm not taking any chances.

If something like that did happen to where I was powerless, I'd give the car up. I'd rather walk away not shot, than be so defiant with pride, and end up shot up by some punk in the car.

I can replace a car, I only have one life, and really don't want to chance it over something that is replaceable.

To me it comes down to choosing your battles, and in this type of situation they can have it.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    my post sounded like I was being a smart ass but driving off is your best bet. if you try to get out whos to say he wont shoot you? by stomping on the gas you may just fluster him enough that by the time he decides to shoot at you youll be far enough away he will likely not hit you...your car might catch a slug or 2. chances are he wont fire anyway so he doesnt draw anymore attention to himself than he already has. when your stopped at a light you should always be aware of whats going on around you and should never let anyone get close enough to you do put a gun to your head...but again things happen quick,but being aware keeps you one step above the average "victim"
    I have always thought it was kinda dumb to carry your gun on your side while driving...try this, put your gun in your normal position on your waist,go get in your car and put your seat belt on and try to draw your weapon..doesnt work so well. I keep mine within reach like my cup holder,which works well as my durango has large deep cup holders,a holster bolted to your dash or arm rest/console may be a good idea as well.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    my post sounded like I was being a smart ass but driving off is your best bet. if you try to get out whos to say he wont shoot you? by stomping on the gas you may just fluster him enough that by the time he decides to shoot at you youll be far enough away he will likely not hit you...your car might catch a slug or 2. chances are he wont fire anyway so he doesnt draw anymore attention to himself than he already has.

You'd bet your life on that?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    As stated before, situational awareness! First off, my cars have AC, so the windows would be up, so no gun to temple. I ALWAYS scan my mirrors and to each side and somewhat to the rear while coming to a stop, I ALWAYS leave enough room for escape between me an the next vehicle, and IF as I am coming to a stop there are pedestrians near the stop point, my pistol goes between my legs as I stop so it is already unholstered if they approach my vehicle(this is assuming I can't just NOT stop and keep going). Maybe I'm paranoid, but that's my problem.:dunno:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    If I didn't think the car had enough power to pull away quickly. One thing I'd do is start to slowly open the door as if I were getting out, then slam it open hitting him with it hard to knock him off balance and either gun the gas or if my gun is easily and quickly accessible draw and shoot him while he is off balance. Remember your car can be a weapon too ;)

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Give the car up, from behind either shoot him or the rear tire standing next to it, now he either tries to run, or has to get out to face you where you have the advantage, and shot the other rear if possible, if I have my wife and daughter with me... bye bye car!

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Give the car up, from behind either shoot him or the rear tire standing next to it, now he either tries to run, or has to get out to face you where you have the advantage, and shot the other rear if possible, if I have my wife and daughter with me... bye bye car!

My response and thoughts exactly! :draw:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    You'd bet your life on that?

Im not betting my life on anything. whos to say he wont shoot you once you get out of the car? Im gonna do what ever I feel needs to be done to keep my interaction with the person to a minimum and being that your at a stop light,your car is already in gear why not take off? it takes very little effort to slide your foot over from the brake to the gas.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Im not betting my life on anything. whos to say he wont shoot you once you get out of the car? Im gonna do what ever I feel needs to be done to keep my interaction with the person to a minimum and being that your at a stop light,your car is already in gear why not take off? it takes very little effort to slide your foot over from the brake to the gas.

Seems to me that if you get out of the car, you buy time, space, and room to move, and create more options for what you can do next. On the other hand, if you stomp the gas, you're betting all your chips on one roll of the dice. Just my impression.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Stomp the gas if I'm first to the light. If you are in line , even if you left room in front of you , you are kinda trapped there so I'd probably tell who ever was in the car with me to get out then I'd get out and give him the car.While he's getting in you could draw your firearm and tickle his ear with it til the cops got there.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    We're all Mall Ninjas

The reality hear folks is that we are all talking big on the net. I bet my best briches that most of us, absolutely including myself would **** themselves silly with a barrel against the skull!!! And I am trained to think clear headed during high stress situations, yup pissing myself works for me. I would like to think when I had the opprotunity to react I could though. :dunno:

Top Bottom