• BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Yes!
    They had a little lever with three notches - forward, neutral and reverse.
    If you hit it straight from reverse to forward some of them could do a wheelie.
    Yeah...I remember Dad not being happy when I figured out that part...

4AE91CBF-B91F-4690-B9E8-C09E7C0CA617.jpeg

He didn't seem too interested in hearing my story about how I learned it from him though.

Funny thing is, years down the road I called him for a tow after I blew out a clutch in a Dodge doing something along those lines...and he shared some stories about similar things when he was "my age".

Damn, how I miss that man.

Last edited:

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Funeral for a friend's dad last week...94 year old man who farmed his whole life.

Was reminded yet again of how much value there is in small farm towns...with large families and immeasurable history.
    I envy those family farms. They're so blessed to have them and hard work to keep them.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I would be hard pressed to find a better evening than a group of guys spanning many generations sitting around a camp fire sharing stories, whisky and cigars.

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes!
    They had a little lever with three notches - forward, neutral and reverse.
    If you hit it straight from reverse to forward some of them could do a wheelie.
    My dad bought an 8 hp garden tractor/mower. Once when I was maybe 16, I thought it would be fun to do a wheelie so I pulled it to the top of the driveway, which had a slope to it, then with it in first gear, held the clutch down and let it roll backward down the driveway, maybe a 20 foot run. Then popped the clutch. I was laying on my back, the tractor was standing on end with the back tires clawing at the ground but not quite catching. Could have come over on top of me. If only I had a friend filming it. Could have been a huge hit on You Tube about 30 years later.

Last edited:

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Love that image. Its my avitar on www.standardshift.com (UserID is ClutchFork). My second car was a '63 Chevy Biscayne inline six with 3-on-the-tree and a non-syncronized 1st gear. After that one I got a stripped F100 inline six with 3-on-the-tree. When the linkage gets old and worn we would call it find-em-or-grind-em.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i started playing baseball at a young age ( 2nd/3rd grade). my dad loved to watch or even listen to a ball game,
    every night after he got home from work, and dinner was over we would play catch for a little while. i played until my junior year in HS. my dad passed away suddenly at 59, (i was 20) one of the last things we did was play catch for a while a few days before he passed.
    today at 65 years old, i wish i could do that again just 1 more time. :(

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Love that image. Its my avitar on www.standardshift.com (UserID is ClutchFork). My second car was a '63 Chevy Biscayne inline six with 3-on-the-tree and a non-syncronized 1st gear. After that one I got a stripped F100 inline six with 3-on-the-tree. When the linkage gets old and worn we would call it find-em-or-grind-em.
    If ya’ can’t find ‘em, grind ‘em!

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Talk about grinding...
    My first car was a '39 Chevy Master Deluxe with only 39,000 miles on it. It had 3 in the tree with a vacuum assist on the shifter. This shifted so easy in the summer, it felt like the shift lever wasn't even connected to anything. But then in my first winter with it I had problems. It still shifted but it was very slow. You would take off in first gear and then put the lever up into second and let the clutch out but it was so slow it wasn't done shifting yet. So a couple seconds later it would try to cram it into second with the clutch already engaged. This makes for some very unpleasant noises and jerks. I learned to be very tentative with the clutch. I had to keep trying a little until I felt it was in the next gear and then let it out all the way. This was not much fun on very cold days.
    Not too long down the road I had found and ordered a conversion kit at JCWhitney and disconnected the vacuum assist.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Talk about grinding...
    My first car was a '39 Chevy Master Deluxe with only 39,000 miles on it. It had 3 in the tree with a vacuum assist on the shifter. This shifted so easy in the summer, it felt like the shift lever wasn't even connected to anything. But then in my first winter with it I had problems. It still shifted but it was very slow. You would take off in first gear and then put the lever up into second and let the clutch out but it was so slow it wasn't done shifting yet. So a couple seconds later it would try to cram it into second with the clutch already engaged. This makes for some very unpleasant noises and jerks. I learned to be very tentative with the clutch. I had to keep trying a little until I felt it was in the next gear and then let it out all the way. This was not much fun on very cold days.
    Not too long down the road I had found and ordered a conversion kit at JCWhitney and disconnected the vacuum assist.
    J C Whitney, seems they had everything for every model. Looking through their catalog was almost as fun as scavenging parts from the junk yard.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    60’s and early 70’s growing up at the lake. Resort with diving boards and rafts, jukebox playing. Not many had air conditioning so summer days lots of people there. Just a short bike ride for us. But gotta leave around 3 pm to get home to watch Dark Shadows! Then later supper and back to the lake till dark. Or stay home and put together a new tank model you bought turning in pop bottles for 10 cents each. Then their was all the fort building and tree house making, or maybe that 3 day camping trip with your best friend with the .22’s and feeling like mountain men way back in a small island in a crick. You called it Buck Island cause that night telling Bigfoot stories something stormed through the water and across in front of tent. Hairs on your neck stood up and at age 12 you lost 10 years already! Terrified and coming out of tent at midnight with guns ready and a flashilight shaking you find out it wasn’t Bigfoot…, but a herd of deer nearly trampling by the tent as they past on both sides splashing through the crick and bank! What a adventure, miss those days and my friend. I’ll find him in heaven someday on Buck Island.

Top Bottom