• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    During my 27 years of experience dealing with all kinds of customers, I've gotten pretty good at knowing when not to say what I'm thinking. This was a tough one.

Having retired from a service related profession this brings back so many memories. Folks are just not dialed into what actually makes the world work. Nothing new at all.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm vaguely remembering a story about "automation".

There was a guy working in an industrial setting. He would go around sampling and testing product and entering the data onto paper forms. When he got back to his workstation, he would crunch the data and use that info to fill out slips of paper that were sent to another department to track the products/process. One day, a computer turned up on his workstation that he'd neither asked for, nor expected. He asked what it was for. They told him he was no longer to take the little slips of paper to the other department. Instead, "just put them in the computer" and they'll get them automaticly. Much more efficient, you see.

Over the next few days, the man's coworkers never got another bit of data from him. Finally, someone went to him and asked him why he hasn't been inputting the slips like he was supposed to. He had no idea what they were talking about. He'd been putting the slips of paper into the computer exactly like he was told, but lately, it's been getting harder to fit them in. They physicly opened the machine to find the floppy drive crammed full of paper.

Fault: management, for not requiring the guy to be trained on the new system before just foisting it on him.

Re: OP's report-seeking employee, the fault is hers for not knowing that paper documents only come out of dedicated pieces of hardware called printers.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have the same complaint about people and their cars or motorcycles. It's something they use every day and have been around their entire life. Yet they know approximately dick about it, except how to put gas in it.

And again, the user manual is just north of worthless anymore.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I feel all warm and fuzzy knowing that these types of folks hurtle thousands of pounds of machinery every day at others with only colored paint keeping the majority safe.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    We built a home for a guy once. He was in his 20's at the time. He left for work as the concrete guys were prepping his stairs and front porch, they told him they was putting them in that day. Well he came home and seen the concrete and looked at the concrete guys and asked "How did they get that to fit so tight to the house"...concrete guy didn't know what he meant and explained they poured and finished it. The guy was amazed that a truck brought wet concrete, he thought it came already poured. I couldn't help but chuckle.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is why I can't possibly work Hell Desk.
    SabOnline707.GIF

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This is why I can't possibly work Hell Desk.
    SabOnline707.GIF

Can confirm. This sort of call actually happens. I used to have a user who would regularly plug her power strip into itself and then call to complain that "this @$!# computer is broke again! Why can't you fix it for good???" The fact that she would do this on a regular basis is what was mind boggling.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Can confirm. This sort of call actually happens. I used to have a user who would regularly plug her power strip into itself and then call to complain that "this @$!# computer is broke again! Why can't you fix it for good???" The fact that she would do this on a regular basis is what was mind boggling.

Not at all surprised by this. I can not count the number of spring no cooling calls and fall no heats that were just a matter of switching the stat function switch to the desired position. It got to where I would spend some time dinking around like there was actually something wrong. Had to give them something besides embaresment......:)

They pay for a full hour if I show so they get the full hour with a smile.

SOCOM242

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    This is why I got out of break-fix and helpdesk as soon as I could. After 12 years of it (helpdesk, network administration, consulting) I was DONE.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not at all surprised by this. I can not count the number of spring no cooling calls and fall no heats that were just a matter of switching the stat function switch to the desired position. It got to where I would spend some time dinking around like there was actually something wrong. Had to give them something besides embaresment......:)

Why?

Honestly, if you want these people to learn, embarrassment is one of the better motivators for adults. It may shut down the learning processes of kids, but adults have different motivations. If I could come in to someone's home, flip a switch and confirm that it was all their problem was in about 5 minutes and be out of there with an hour's worth of payment for my labours, I'd be taking those calls all day long. `Course, the IRS may be interested in how I'm able to bill 400 hours a week for three weeks straight every spring and fall.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

While I would hate to be the guy calling in that problem, I can understand it at least. I never figured out why this woman kept unplugging her power strip from the wall, why should would keep plugging it back into itself, nor why should could never remember having the exact same conversation about it on almost a weekly basis for close to a year.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

That women is a genius!!
    If you plug the power strip into itself it's a quantum energy production device!
    She just saved the world!!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That women is a genius!!
    If you plug the power strip into itself it's a quantum energy production device!
    She just saved the world!!

The only thing I can imagine is that she's grew up in a house where mom and dad always unplugged the TV at night so the house didn't burn down. That would be fine and perfectly understandable (if a little illogical these days). I just never got why she steadfastly refused to learn and would keep making the same bizarre mistake over and over and then never remember having done it a hundred times already. It's like she was a mental patient.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The only thing I can imagine is that she's grew up in a house where mom and dad always unplugged the TV at night so the house didn't burn down. That would be fine and perfectly understandable (if a little illogical these days). I just never got why she steadfastly refused to learn and would keep making the same bizarre mistake over and over and then never remember having done it a hundred times already. It's like she was a mental patient.

She could of been lonely and just liked the sound of your voice......

Top Bottom