• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    Besides the very pricey XS big dot sights, are there any others that are similar without being $120? And are there fiber optics that are worth using, I’m not sure I like tritium having such a short half life that I’ll be replacing my sights in 10 years. The ones I’ve seen all look like the rods are overly exposed to impact and by design create a shorter sight radius. I want a large diameter front sight, and all the fiber optics I see look like smaller dots, and the closest thing to big dots I’ve seen that were far more affordable were night fissions at $40 for just the front. I can’t tell the diameter though, and they don’t spec it on their website. 4mm/0.166” is what the big dots measure in at. And to be clear we are talking about for the purposes of a defensive carry gun, to minimize sight picture acquisition time.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    In a word, no. Trijicon HDs are close to the Big Dot fronts, but the rear is totally different, and they are as much, or more than Big Dots. 10-12 years on tritium vials, is too short? I can guarantee you won’t get near that from fiber optics. Spend once cry once(every 10-12 years). That’s $10-12 per YEAR?

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    Do fiber optics decay as well?! I thought the rods collected ambient light and essentially magnified it, and consequently there’s nothing to break down or decay?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Do fiber optics decay as well?! I thought the rods collected ambient light and essentially magnified it, and consequently there’s nothing to break down or decay?
    No they break and fall out. They also don’t work without some ambient light source, so they are potentially less effective in the dark than tritium(i black out my rear sights anyway).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What's the purpose of the pistol (or are we talking shotgun?) That'll make a difference in what's suitable. You're unlikely to find new tritiums of any brand much cheaper, though.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton

I wouldn't say that they Decay, but the front sight starts to get dull rather quickly in practice sessions. You have to be careful not to get cleaning products on them, as some will eat the rods.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    What model of gun are you looking to put them on? I just took a set of Big Dots off my Glock 19. They are about 3 years old and plenty bright.

If you have a 9mm Glock pistol I'd be willing to pass them along for cheap.

vangurley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2017
    Valparaiso
    I like Trijicon HD’s on my carry guns but that’s just my opinion. Not sure if that helps you since the pricing may not be what your looking for but they are great sights and very durable.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I like the Ameriglo hackathorns. Theyre about $80.

For me, the HDs are great for daylight shooting, but when the lights are out the rear tritium become to busy and my front sight isnt as easy to pick up. The hackathorns are essentially an HD front sight and blacked out rears.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I like the Ameriglo hackathorns. Theyre about $80.

For me, the HDs are great for daylight shooting, but when the lights are out the rear tritium become to busy and my front sight isnt as easy to pick up. The hackathorns are essentially an HD front sight and blacked out rears.
    Black out your rears with a sharpie, it dulls them enough to make the front sight very bright in contrast.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Get the XS Big Dot. You can’t beat it for a defense gun in low light conditions. I’ve got a set on a CZ75B and target acquisition is instantaneous particularly in low to no light situations. Like the other commentator said, buy once and cry once. Peace!

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I have xs big dot on a glock 23 and trijicon xr hd's on a glock 19 and a m&p 2.0. I bought the sights in the order I listed them and will continue to buy the trijicon hd's for future handguns. Yes the xs big dot is great for speed but I am not accurate enough with them for any precision. The hd's if I can see it I can hit it where I want to and I've shot 4" square plate out to 70 yards with my glock 19. I wouldn't even attempt that with my 23.

Top Bottom