• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Not sure where else to put this, so I decided to post this here.

A friend of mine's parents got what appears to be a bring back WWII Nazi flag in among a bunch of 30's and 40's trinkets and other items at an auction. They think it's real, in which case it is a collector item and a piece of history, though an odious one. If it's not, they have zero interest in holding on to it (for obvious reasons) and will just junk or destroy it.

I'm looking for someone in the Indy area that might be able to authenticate it.

Does anyone have any suggestions of who I might talk to? I know there are some militaria dealers that come to the 1500, so I was going to try to hit some of them up if I can make it out there next week, but if there is a local option, that would probably be easier.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Biggest thing to check for is going to be the stitching and fabric at the fly (pole end). The canvas should be slightly faded. I"m not a flag expert, but I've done a bit of amateur studying...

I'd be happy (well, not too happy) to take a look at it for you, but the best I could do is confirm roughly when it was made.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Biggest thing to check for is going to be the stitching and fabric at the fly (pole end). The canvas should be slightly faded. I"m not a flag expert, but I've done a bit of amateur studying...

I'd be happy (well, not too happy) to take a look at it for you, but the best I could do is confirm roughly when it was made.

Thanks. I'll talk to my buddy and see what we can arrange. I'll PM you and we can try to fit something around your schedule, if we can make it work.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    Do a Google check for prices; I suspect they'll be low given the relative ease of making fakes. As such, I don't see that much value in it, and trying to get it authenticated will very likely cost far more than it's worth.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Totally depends on what it actually is. I'd get it authenticated. A flag from a specific time and place is potentially more valuable than a large podium banner (decoration for a speech or event) for instance. If you get it authenticated as the real deal and the owner is interested in selling it, PM me. I don't want to come off as a neo-Nazi wacko or skinhead, but I do have interest in WW2 items such as this from both allied and axis powers as I had family on both sides and have items from each.

Dirty Steve

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Do a Google check for prices; I suspect they'll be low given the relative ease of making fakes. As such, I don't see that much value in it, and trying to get it authenticated will very likely cost far more than it's worth.

Eh, you might think there is little value but quite a bit of stuff from back then didn't survive. Simply for history's sake, the real ones shouldn't be junked. I'm going to be saving a Reichs Kriegs flag that a family friend has (he is in his 60's and his dad had it from his European vacation back in the 40's). It is in very nice condition and nobody in the family wants it. It is something would go great with my collection of Mausers and random German WW2 bring backs (I do have allied stuff in my collection too).

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    Eh, you might think there is little value but quite a bit of stuff from back then didn't survive. Simply for history's sake, the real ones shouldn't be junked.

I did not recommend that it be junked, just that it wouldn't be worth the cost of an authentication.

Top Bottom