• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    While that may true for some employers...that paid amount into unemployment insurance is just cutting into the employer's profits, not necessarily a cut to the employees pay.

I guess it all depends on the company and how they look at it.
    I for one, already pay my employees quite well, and if I didn't have to pay into the unemployment insurance, that would probably just help my bottom line.

True, true. In basic economic theory it will cut into a workers wages, but in practice that is not always the case.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I would pause for a moment though and add if some one as been employed several years get's lay off fired what-ever maybe there should be a choice. He has paid into the system which means it's not the goverments money it's his money.

UIC is an entirely employer tax based system. Employees don't pay into it.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Yet while you may not be directly paying, your employer is paying you a lower wage than they would without them having to pay the tax, so the burden of the tax is shared amongst both parties. Yes, the bulk of the burden falls on the employer, but a substantial part also falls on the employee through unpaid wages.

So, let's abolish UIC altogether and you can then negotiate the higher wages you think are yours by right. However, maybe the employer is paying what is feasible in the employment market and that amount is relatively independent of the UIC tax.

Taipan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Greenfield, IN
    unemployment insurance isn't as much insurance as it is withdrawing from a fund that we put money into while working. For those of us that are paid on a higher scale, I think the federal max of 399.00/week is WAY too low.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    unemployment insurance isn't as much insurance as it is withdrawing from a fund that we put money into while working. For those of us that are paid on a higher scale, I think the federal max of 399.00/week is WAY too low.

You don't pay into it. Employers pay into it. In fact, even after you leave, if you draw benefits they pay more for you. $399 isn't a federal maximum. There's a state maximum of $390 + $25 from the porkulus package. Indiana is among the higher paying states but certainly not the highest:

Alabama — $235
    Alaska — $320
    Arizona — $240
    Arkansas — $409
    California — $450
    Colorado — $455
    Connecticut — $576
    Delaware — $330
    District of Columbia — $359
    Florida — $275
    Georgia — $320
    Hawaii — $523
    Idaho — $364
    Illinois — $511
    Indiana — $390
    Iowa — $426
    Kansas — $407
    Kentucky — $415
    Louisiana — $258
    Maine — $496
    Maryland — $380
    Massachusetts — $900
    Michigan — $362
    Minnesota — $538
    Mississippi — $210
    Missouri — $320
    Montana — $386
    Nebraska — $298
    Nevada — $362
    New Hampshire — $427
    New Jersey — $560
    New Mexico — $455
    New York — $405
    North Carolina — $476
    North Dakota — $385
    Ohio — $493
    Oklahoma — $392
    Oregon — $463
    Pennsylvania — $547
    Puerto Rico — $133
    Rhode Island — $641
    South Carolina — $326
    South Dakota — $285
    Tennessee — $275
    Texas — $378
    Utah — $427
    Vermont — $409
    Virginia _$363
    Virgin Islands — $454
    Washington — $515
    West Virginia — $408
    Wisconsin — $355
    Wyoming — $387

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I'd hate to be a small business owner in Mass, Rhode Island at that! :O

Let me remind folks how easy it is to look down their nose at those on unemployment. I have a collection of part time jobs right now (totalling more than 50 hours right now) and STILL have to take unemployment to pay the bills. I have been unemployed for 5 months now, NO one is hiring. I have lowered my expectations, lowered my required wage per hour/year to nothing and expanded what I would do to make a living right now. Nothing seems to be working right now. A few interviews here and there, but no call backs, despite my experience and practicing of interviews and a VERY well polished resume.

I would not call folks on unemployment freeloaders. Not all of us are trash or corrupt, though we have to take the label right now as folks immediantly think that of us. It's easy to say that we on unemployment are trash, freeloaders, stupid, lazy, etc... But most of us have skills, families, friends, and experience that we can use to supply this nation with top notch labor. Problem is, those with jobs (or those running businesses) are "scared" to open their purse strings and mobilize the nation, get folks hired and working, they are waiting for the government to do it for them. Call those folks who are unemployed freeloaders, we call companies cowards.

As for the conservation corps, we have a LOT of stuff from the CCC during the Depression that last today. Dams, bridges, parks, monuments, etc... were all made during that time. Unfortunately, I cannot imagine the pork barrel stuff going on right now or the corruption between government and contractors. I think alot of folks are going to be paid (if they fit the criterea), but no one will be working, or not much. Its a great idea, potentially bad if one thinks it that way. I am not concerned that it will be brownshirts, as the overreactionaries would think, however, given the current government structure (bloated), it will be an ineffective program we probably will hear about for years to come, most in corruption cases.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I can't even comment, this stuff gives me a f*cking headache, lazy a$$ poeple don't work and expect a lifetime of free rides! Unemployment is a crutch not a lifestyle, just to get you through...just like Antidepressent meds. Got to fix the underlying reason!

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Let me remind folks how easy it is to look down their nose at those on unemployment. I have a collection of part time jobs right now (totalling more than 50 hours right now) and STILL have to take unemployment....

If you're working full-time, more than full-time by the sound of it, you're not eligible for unemployment. Assuming your other employers are paying tax on your account, you're asking for a fraud investigation.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I'd hate to be a small business owner in Mass, Rhode Island at that! :O

Let me remind folks how easy it is to look down their nose at those on unemployment. I have a collection of part time jobs right now (totalling more than 50 hours right now) and STILL have to take unemployment to pay the bills. I have been unemployed for 5 months now, NO one is hiring. I have lowered my expectations, lowered my required wage per hour/year to nothing and expanded what I would do to make a living right now. Nothing seems to be working right now. A few interviews here and there, but no call backs, despite my experience and practicing of interviews and a VERY well polished resume.

I would not call folks on unemployment freeloaders. Not all of us are trash or corrupt, though we have to take the label right now as folks immediantly think that of us. It's easy to say that we on unemployment are trash, freeloaders, stupid, lazy, etc... But most of us have skills, families, friends, and experience that we can use to supply this nation with top notch labor. Problem is, those with jobs (or those running businesses) are "scared" to open their purse strings and mobilize the nation, get folks hired and working, they are waiting for the government to do it for them. Call those folks who are unemployed freeloaders, we call companies cowards.

Problem is...I own a small business and there are no purse strings to open up...No money available to mobilize and stimulate the nation.
    Problem is, if consumers aren't buying, then how am I supposed to hire people to produce items that people aren't buying?
    So the companies aren't cowards...it is the consumers. Maybe they need to take their unemployment checks and go shopping.:twocents:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If you're working full-time, more than full-time by the sound of it, you're not eligible for unemployment. Assuming your other employers are paying tax on your account, you're asking for a fraud investigation.

Now that I am working full time, you are correct, I am not eligible for unemployment and I dont collect, I misspoke. However, before that time, I was on unemployment and it sucked, not the money, just the idea that I was on unemployment. But, the idea that I am working over full time and not coming close to paying the bills is a difficult thing right now. Realistically, with the jobs I am working right now, I was making more on unemployment! :xmad: I didn't want to stay on unemployment as it is a personal thing to me, a work ethic thing. But the only jobs that seem available right now are low paying ones (the decent pay jobs are either low hours/limited time or I am not "qualified for").

I guess what I wanted to say is that unemployment is a horrible thing for folks. It can lull them into not working or affect them mentally. I know personally that I am a much different person when I was on unemployment. I felt friggin useless. You sit at home (or at a part time job) feeling terrible. But, I guess, according to the general feeling of this board and lots of other folks, I am a rarity, folks on unemployment are freeloaders, right? That is true to an extent. I have met others that are on unemployment and they think its mana from heaven. Some aren't even looking for work right now, just waiting to see what falls into their lap. I guess they dont get it that it will run out on them one day...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Don't get too depressed about the freeloader comment. It came from a food stamp collector.:whistle:

I've draw it for about 4 weeks so far this year as my company is taking short term temporary layoffs. We aren't required to look for work as we are given return dates a week or 2 away. Companies have to pay a percentage into the system based on the amount of layoff they have. I imagine once a company hits to the top tier of tax percentage, there is no reason for them not to lay off and have temporary shut downs, etc. My company can cut back to 24 or 32 hours a week like a lot are and prevent us from drawing, but they lay us off for a week instead. At this point, I'm sure my company is maxed out on the tax they are paying so they lay us off for the week so we get more money in the long run. 3 weeks of full pay and one week of unemployment versus 4 short weeks.

I'm 32 and I've never drawn unemployment in my life until now. Our politicians in their infinite wisdom want to triple the unemployment taxes companies pay now. Explain how companies who can't afford to pay for their labor now are going to be able to pay more for their labor? There was an article in the Indy star about that a few days ago. I personally think they should do away with unemployment or limit it to a few months. In the current economy, it is impossible to find jobs right now. If there is going to be unemployment, welfare or whatever, you should have to report to clean up ditches, sidewalks, or whatever.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    :+1: Good post...I let an employee go right at a year ago, and he is still drawing unemployment...You can't tell me he couldn't get a job somewhere, doing something. Some people are freeloaders...some are not.

Don't get too depressed about the freeloader comment. It came from a food stamp collector.:whistle:

I've draw it for about 4 weeks so far this year as my company is taking short term temporary layoffs. We aren't required to look for work as we are given return dates a week or 2 away. Companies have to pay a percentage into the system based on the amount of layoff they have. I imagine once a company hits to the top tier of tax percentage, there is no reason for them not to lay off and have temporary shut downs, etc. My company can cut back to 24 or 32 hours a week like a lot are and prevent us from drawing, but they lay us off for a week instead. At this point, I'm sure my company is maxed out on the tax they are paying so they lay us off for the week so we get more money in the long run. 3 weeks of full pay and one week of unemployment versus 4 short weeks.

I'm 32 and I've never drawn unemployment in my life until now. Our politicians in their infinite wisdom want to triple the unemployment taxes companies pay now. Explain how companies who can't afford to pay for their labor now are going to be able to pay more for their labor? There was an article in the Indy star about that a few days ago. I personally think they should do away with unemployment or limit it to a few months. In the current economy, it is impossible to find jobs right now. If there is going to be unemployment, welfare or whatever, you should have to report to clean up ditches, sidewalks, or whatever.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    ATF Did have a good point (before retracted?) about company purse strings and maybe those on unemployment should go shopping. Realistically, the amount given by unemployment should be similar to what is made normally, so they should be spending at normal rate, shouldn't they? I made quite a bit a week and recieved only half what I made weekly (after taxes) normally. Its those who are highly paid, but hit the bottom that cant spend. Those with normally good wages that spend, but hit unemployment are the cases that make that idea difficult right now.

Good points Atf! :)

HornadyLNL is right as well. How can companies pay for more labor when they could be crippled by high unemployment taxes. I think its a stupid thing to "cushion" the unemployment situation by making those who make the wheels of economy turn pay more and more. I would (and am) take FAR less money than I ever would take right now to have a stable, full time work situation. But, some folks WONT take a pay cut, its about me me me. American's are going to have to either take less pay or no work (while crippling companies that provide the work and benefits). Hell, screw benefits, I would work for lower wages and no benefits, just to have a job.

Top Bottom