• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    If you are 18-24 and on unemployment...the state has some slave labor jobs for you.You will be paid $8.50 an hour though,oh if you do not take the job you lose your benefits.Yes this was posted before...but the FAQ has been updated by the state.Here is the last line....
    Question: Will I be denied unemployment if I decline one of these jobs?
    Answer: There is a VERY HIGH likelihood you will be denied unemployment benefits and forfeit the future benefits of your current claim if you decline a job offer.

They are not talking about just any job offer,but not taking 8.50 an hour to work for the state...with NO benefits.Seems like BS to me.
    Young Hoosiers Conservation Corps: Frequently Asked Questions
    So on unemployment you are making around 325...take this job and you can make 250 after taxes.How can they force anyone to take a job with no benefits?Granted only those in the low income range are really in danger.As the program was designed for low income people.That is why there is no one saying anything.

and more wow...

https://uplink.in.gov/CSS/CSSLogon.htm

Last edited:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    The whole point is instead of a hand out you work for the money and ya the pay sucks so a smart person would keep looking for job in the mean time. I like the idea. I would pause for a moment though and add if some one as been employed several years get's lay off fired what-ever maybe there should be a choice. He has paid into the system which means it's not the goverments money it's his money. Other than that ya I like the idea.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The program is aimed towards the lowest income bracket, so they may not get benefits from the job, but they should still qualify for Medicaid.

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    They need to make the pay equal to the unemplyment. That way there would be no excuses. If they still didn't want the job, you know they are playing the system. Simple enough.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    So on unemployment you are making around 325...take this job and you can make 250 after taxes.

Last I knew, Indiana's unemployment payout way based on what you earned.

Any you still have to pay taxes on that unemployment check.

Based on the restrictions outlined in the link you provided:

Due to federal requirements, these jobs are limited to Hoosiers between the ages of 16-24, who have a family income that meets the economically disadvantaged criteria ($23,239 for a family of four).

I don't think a worker making $11.17 an hour is going to "max out" on Indiana's unemployment.

Get the kids ass off the couch and to work.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    So I should get upset because somebody who wants something for nothing is being forced to do something afterall?

I miss your point, sorry.

The whole point is instead of a hand out you work for the money and ya the pay sucks so a smart person would keep looking for job in the mean time. I like the idea. I would pause for a moment though and add if some one as been employed several years get's lay off fired what-ever maybe there should be a choice. He has paid into the system which means it's not the goverments money it's his money. Other than that ya I like the idea.

couldn't say it better :patriot:

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    So I should get upset because somebody who wants something for nothing is being forced to do something afterall?

I miss your point, sorry.

I could lose my unemployment benefits/future benefits while I'm waiting for my GI Bill to pay out, all because the state feels I could work part time for $8.50/hr. I'm entitled to the maximum unemployment benefit ($415/wk) because of my military service. I've had a hard time finding a job, let alone finding a part time job that pays in excess of $20/hr.

However, I'm unlikely to be targeted for this work anyway. I'm in the higher earners bracket and have a class schedule to prove I'm attending school.

The reason for this program is over 10% of Indiana claims unemployment.

OP, most people aren't getting close to $325. I know to be eligible for the $390/wk maximum, you have to have made close to $9300 in 3 months.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would pause for a moment though and add if some one as been employed several years get's lay off fired what-ever maybe there should be a choice. He has paid into the system which means it's not the goverments money it's his money. Other than that ya I like the idea.

It's targeted at 18-24 years old, so I imagine the intent is for people just out of high school or college. It's a 16-week program, which makes it a summer job. Gives them a little practical job experience, help build Indiana's infrastructure, and earn a little money rather than graduate and go directly onto the dole.

Also, it appears that it's only mandatory if you want unemployment benefits.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The program is aimed towards the lowest income bracket, so they may not get benefits from the job, but they should still qualify for Medicaid.

That's a good point. As long as you make under (I think) $10/h You might qualify for food stamps also if it's not just you alone. I'm not sure because I have 4 kids and we get foodstamps. Although you bet your ass as soon as I get myself a graveyard shift job I"ll be making sure we don't need it any longer.

Get the kids ass off the couch and to work.

Well said. No one under 18 should qualify for benefits anyway as they have mommy and daddy giving them a roof and food and probably gas money. Even up until 24 or hell, even my age (27) you really haven't paid a whole hell of a lot into the system.

Right now, I'd take a lawnscaping job if it would pay for more than daycare and gas. Unfortunately, having two kids not in school would cost a weeks paycheck in daycare for anything less than $9.50/H 40h. (Of course I'm including gas back and forth to work, daycare and home.) If I can find me a night shift job I'd be all gravy with that and hop on it.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    What? No more MONEY FOR NOTHING?

If you are 18-24 and on unemployment...the state has some slave labor jobs for you.You will be paid $8.50 an hour though,oh if you do not take the job you lose your benefits.Yes this was posted before...but the FAQ has been updated by the state.Here is the last line....
    Question: Will I be denied unemployment if I decline one of these jobs?Answer: There is a VERY HIGH likelihood you will be denied unemployment benefits and forfeit the future benefits of your current claim if you decline a job offer.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I am required to pass a drug test for employment, which allows me to earn a check, from which unemployment taxes are taken.

Is there anything about passing a drug test in the above program.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I am required to pass a drug test for employment, which allows me to earn a check, from which unemployment taxes are taken.

You mean passing a drug test to get unemployment ....if you cant pass a drug test to get a job you shouldn't be able to draw unemployment without passing one as well :twocents:

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy

Incorrect...
    no employees pay into unemployment fund...this insurance is paid 100% by the employer.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy

That portion is paid 100% by your employer...nothing is contributed by you...so when you get let go or layed off...you are getting welfare money from your employer, as they are the only ones that funded this money you would/could draw.

Empires Burn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    I think its a good idea, as someone stated above if they arent working they are just going to get free ****. Why not go out and work? Even if its for $8.50 an hour. Money is money and its the right thing to do instead of leeching off taxpayers.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    That portion is paid 100% by your employer...nothing is contributed by you...so when you get let go or layed off...you are getting welfare money from your employer, as they are the only ones that funded this money you would/could draw.

Yet while you may not be directly paying, your employer is paying you a lower wage than they would without them having to pay the tax, so the burden of the tax is shared amongst both parties. Yes, the bulk of the burden falls on the employer, but a substantial part also falls on the employee through unpaid wages.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    UI is an insurance policy, you had to have paid in a min amount to get the max benifit.
    once you get that benifit you get that amount minus any wages you get while on UI.

if your benifit amount is $350 and you work & make $250 you will still get $100 from UI.

but if you refuse work , without a valid reason you can lose your benifits.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Yet while you may not be directly paying, your employer is paying you a lower wage than they would without them having to pay the tax, so the burden of the tax is shared amongst both parties. Yes, the bulk of the burden falls on the employer, but a substantial part also falls on the employee through unpaid wages.

While that may true for some employers...that paid amount into unemployment insurance is just cutting into the employer's profits, not necessarily a cut to the employees pay.

I guess it all depends on the company and how they look at it.
    I for one, already pay my employees quite well, and if I didn't have to pay into the unemployment insurance, that would probably just help my bottom line.

Top Bottom