• Total voters

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    Take a look at the photos in the link.
    If you had that clear of a view on 2 guys shooting at cops in the street would you take the shot?

OnHand — Pictures of Tsarneav Brothers Shootout In Watertown, MA

Answer the poll and post a quick why or why not.

I voted yes. They're shooting at cops who are shooting back at them. If its ok for the cops to put them down to protect themselves its ok for me to put them down to protect the cops.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What kind of an idiot hangs around and takes pictures like that? From the "safety" of his 3rd floor bedroom?

As for the question: I really don't know. Certainly not with a handgun. Certainly not with my family in the house (last thing I want is the terrorists to turn their attention to me).

There was only 4 minutes between the first photo and when the younger terrorist ran the police barricade. Not much time, but likely felt like an eternity.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    If the identity was clear that they were the bombers, without hesitation with whatever firearm I had access to at the time

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    I also was wondering how it would look if a armed citizens would have used an AR or AK to. Assist officers for general public safety along with assisting the officers.
    A Rambo ammmm, NO!
    Someone willing to shoot a SOB in the back that deserves it, YUP!
    Or atleast put them in a crossfire to assist the officers,YUP!

Under a everyday situations?
    But due to the situation at hand, no hesitation

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I voted no, due to the way this situation is laid out. If I'm at home and there is a shootout in front of my house I am first and foremost taking my wife, kids and dog and hiding them as far away from any possible danger.

Then maybe grab a scoped rifle and peak out the window, but as posted above, it would suck to have the police think you were firing at them.

Maybe I'm a wimp but if there is anything I can do for the safety of my family, it comes first.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    I suppose there are many factors to take into account in a very brief window.
    I answered yes on the assumption that if the photographer had time to grab a camera and take the shot from that window there may have been time to grab a Rifle and take the same shot.
    They're well lit by the headlights.
    The angle almost guarantees you you'll hit pavement beyond the target.
    Cops are 80 yards down the road focused on the street not the 3rd story window hopefully not mistaking you for an unidentified 3rd bomber.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    The correct answer is "No because I'm a law abiding citizen and it would have taken too long to remove my rifle from Massachusetts' legally required locked storage".

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    If they robbed my convenience store, tried to carjack me, or tried to come on my property or in my home...ABSOLUTELY. If the first two had been met with force of will and a firearm, the rest would be moot.

As for when the cops were all over creation itching to take him down...no way, clear shot or not. Good way to get killed or spend your days longing to be with your family from a 10x10. Cops, not around...meh...maybe a different story.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I might call 911 and state that I have a clear shot while the officers don't, but since I'm not LEO and have no millitary background I would expect them to tell me not to interfere. For all I know SWAT could have them in their crosshairs and be ready to pull the trigger.

God forbid, if the LEO were downed and these guys were getting away with no resistance? Yeah, I'd probably drop em if I could.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    yes, it looks like an easy wide open shot...but at the risk of getting killed by the popo, i think id let them handle it

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    My EDC could make that shot...but I have rifles so moot point...

It's an interesting question that I don't think I can answer without facing the scenario for myself.

There's a lot to take into account. Shoot to wound? Shoot to kill? Notify 911 that you have a shot? Better to ask forgiveness than permission? What about your family? There's a lot of lead flying around and more people could have easily gotten hurt.

Personally, I think I would give serious consideration to taking a shot if I had one available and if I were alone in the house. In this case I don't think a shoot to kill is necessary with so many LEOs around but then again...these guys were packing explosives...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So if you DIDN'T take the shot, and a member of your family was killed by a stray bullet, how would you feel? Maybe if the rabid dog had been put down, there wouldn't have been so many bullets flying around.

Your shot had pavement behind it due to the angle. What about the cops angle. They're hitting the house down the road.

Not taking an action, is still taking an action.

indyjack

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    i find the question and the answer choices tasteless and offensive. you guys hoot and holler about living in the greatest country in the world and then talk about gunning down a SUSPECT as if he were proven guilty. may as well take a :poop: on the constitution yourself!

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    i find the question and the answer choices tasteless and offensive. you guys hoot and holler about living in the greatest country in the world and then talk about gunning down a SUSPECT as if he were proven guilty. may as well take a :poop: on the constitution yourself!

I'm sorry if you are offended by my poll it was not my intention to do so.
    I was not in any way advocating vigilante justice or throwing their right to due process out the window.

I included the link to paint a picture for a very specific scenario. The link contains photos of the bombing suspects (or even unknown people for that matter) while they are engaged in a 4 minute gun fight with police officers who are 80 yards down the road.

Even if these were not the boston bombing suspects but 2 everyday criminals firing at officers after a simple car jacking I do not think I'd change my answer.

If someone is shooting at cops repeatedly over 4 minutes, being an imminent threat to anyone immediately around them, should we not at least entertain the question of whether we would TRY to help the cops or not? TRY to stop an immediate threat?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

They are not SUSPECTED of shooting at the police.
    They are DOING it RIGHT IN FRONT of you.

If they were to run into your house to use your family as hostages, would you wait till they are proven guilty?

Shots fired...

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    My vote, "NO!". The only way I'm ever going to use my gun, outside of target practice, is when someone sees me as the target or is making threats to do so. I'm betting (based on experience, see avatar...) that if anyone besides the police had done so that night, they could have been taken out by either side. Interfering in a police situation like that with a gun would certainly have made you more of a topic for investigation than the bombers themselves, since our country seems to do everything they can to protect the outsiders more so than it's own. Take cover and let the police handle it unless the bad guy sees you or your family as a safe haven and drags you into it. Then you'd have a leg to stand on, if you shot his out from under him... :twocents:

Top Bottom