• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    shoot mama first and the yearlings just hang around to be shot too. there's no sweeter meat than Bambi's little loins

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    My son and I both harvest deer for two reasons, one is to fill our freezers and hunters for the hungry freezers. And secondly to fulfill the crop damage permit quota.
    Generally it matters not the age of the females.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It's a personal call for sure! Would a lion kill a mama gazelle if it's babies were near by? Sure if he didn't just kill the babies!

Basically there are hunting seasons for a reason, and if you did then it'd be ok, plus they aren't so little by fall. Some won't and thats fine. Some will...

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Depends, I'd probably just take the doe, depending on how old she is of course. Also putting into consideration size of "fawn". If it's spotted, and still following its mother then I might let them go. No reason other than not killing a mother in front of the baby, so to speak. However, by this time they ain't babies no more.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have seen folks who have supposedly hunted for years shoot stuff with spots.
    It's supposed to be a sport for cryin' out loud.

For the effort/work, I like around 100# dressed for doe (or bigger).

If a doe comes in that size with fawns not having spots..........and if I feel like taking a deer (sometimes I just don't).........I'll zip her.
    Does I normally shoot with bow.
    Took one a couple yrs back with rifle, for bullet test..............still doesn't set well with me.

I've killed 'em in the past with gun, just don't like to do it anymore. Hell, I'm almost to buck hunting only. If my kid heals up well enough next yr I'll let them pop does for the freezer.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It all depends on your definition of fawn.
    The first doe I shot was accompanied by her yearlings, but they had long ago lost their spots and each gotten up to well over the 80 pound range.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    If you process your own meat then shooting fawns would be ok, but if you take your meat to a locker then it isn't very smart to shoot a fawn unless you don't mind paying $8.00/$10.00 a pound for the meat... As far as shooting a doe with fawns if she gets close enough she is in trouble !!!!

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Come rut, momma runs them off. So I see no problem with shooting the doe if she is of proper size.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've seen them with fawns during MZ season.
    Nuked a 130# dressed doe w 629 late into gun season. Button came back rather upset.
    Made me feel bad..........almost. Figured some jackweed was gonna blast him anyway. Yelled at him 3 times before he scampered off.

BTW, 14 antlerless came in on me, the doe hung back and let her button and another fawn walk through first.

So much for caring about her kiddies. Rather can call the DNR version of CPS I just decided she was worthless as a mother and shouldn't breed again LOL.

Never seen that Disney crap out in the sticks.

Did see bright orange fawns in MZ one season, tiny. I thought they were two fox. WTH?
    Doubt those two made it :( Skittish and on the move, they had no other deer with them.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Fawns can survive on their own by the time fall rolls around. Sometimes they become coyote food, but that's nothing that mom can save them from.

Absolutely true.

I've killed does with late born fawns (June vice May due to secondary rut breed), mom still has milk but it's drying up. Mom doesn't protect even late born fawns by October, they feed just like any other deer. They get ran off, or ran away from during rut. As a matter of fact there's plenty of research that indicates nearly all yearlings - first season fawns - breed that fall. They typically have one fawn the following spring and "typically" two every year after that until they either die or are past their age.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Fawns can survive on their own by the time fall rolls around. Sometimes they become coyote food, but that's nothing that mom can save them from.

This^^^

The way I understand it, hunting seasons are timed around breeding seasons. By the time you can legally shoot it, the offspring can survive on its own.

I even heard Indiana was thinking about an early-summer squirrel season timed around the two litters a squirrel has in a Summer.

Top Bottom