would you be willing to do this to hunt land?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I have an acquaintance who has a wooded tract of land in an urban archery zone.. and he would like some archery hunters to hunt it for him to reduce the deer load..
    But he might be on the property during the weekends, and wants the hunter / hunters to fill out a schedule of when who gets to hunt when..So that he knows who is going to be hunting when...

He has shown the property to several people and no one wants to do that... For all the people who claim to want to hunt private land I am surprised..
    what do you guys think? also , any bow hunters interested in hunting near Lafayette ?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Sounds fair. Heck i book/make plans on hunting adventures a few years in advance at times.

Maybe a simple siign in and sign out list. Mainly i just get asked to park in a centian spot. Or not to cross into a certian area.

He may also just be making sure that his area gets hunted, I have seen good areas go unhunted all year because permission was granted and no one ever showed up to hunt.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I have had to do things like this before. One place that I have hunted for the last 5 or 6 years, the owner makes the hunters have a meeting with him and also meet his family. He always makes you give him a copy of your drivers license and hunting license and he also gets drivers plate numbers. All he it doing is making sure that the people he allows on his land are good honest people.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I see no reason why that is not reasonable...

Access to private land to hunt, without paying for a lease... all you have to do is plan/schedule in advance?

Too bad I am not close :( Sounds like a good deal.

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    Seems completely reasonable. Maybe most folks don't ask that of hunters, but that seems reasonable to me. And if I'm going on someone's land with a lethal weapon, I don't mind letting them know who I am and such. Again, perfectly reasonable.

If he ends up needing more folks, let me know. I'm not comfortable with my bow yet, but will be before the end of the season and would be interested.

JDubb

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Frankfort IN
    I live close to laf and always wanted to hunt in a urban zone. That is a heck of deal and it could have the benefits of holding some big deer!!!! THe place I have to go I park at the barn and walk 500yards one way to go hunting. Good thing is I have to call the owner and he uses his tractor to get my deer. He just don't want ruts from trucks getting stuck, which understandable.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Sounds like a great deal. I would love to be able to hunt just for does. It is meat in the freezer for me and anyone else that likes the meat.

I just saw a small pie-bald buck being checked in this afternoon that was taken in an urban area. The rack was just starting to shed it's velvet. Pretty cool looking hide.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have done a lot more then fill out a schedule to gain land access, most of it hard labor and you still always let the owner know when you will be on his land and ask if it will be OK the day you plan to go.

A schedule will also reduce conflict or having too many people running around at the same time and being an urban area he won;t have to call the Cops since he knows who is there and when. If his land is near the Wabash or one of the major creeks, it will be covered in deer. I use to live upstream from Lafayette.

They blew it.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    i think it would be a good thing, especially if he limited the number of people that could hunt at a time. that is one thing that concerns me about hunting- other hunters.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    The land owner sounds like a smart man. He just wants to know who what when where why and how. His land his rules. If you don't like it, GTFO. I'd be willing to do this as well as share venison and help out taking care of the land through out the year. Just showing up in the fall to hunt someone's land and nothing else is in poor form.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Sounds good to me. Besides, I would rather know when I could have the place to myself versus driving down there and finding out someone is hunting your spot.

ShootinDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    As crowded as public land is getting and as hard as private land is getting ,you would be nuts not to--and kudos to the land owner for caring what goes on

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    When I read the title to this thread I thought he was going to ask hunters to split him a cord of wood or something, this sounds like a very reasonable request to me...

Top Bottom