• rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Gattaca, here we come.

World's first GM babies born
    The disclosure that 30 healthy babies were born after a series of experiments in the United States provoked another furious debate about ethics.

So far, two of the babies have been tested and have been found to contain genes from three 'parents'.

Fifteen of the children were born in the past three years as a result of one experimental programme at the Institute for Reproductive Medicine and Science of St Barnabas in New Jersey.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, I'm going to take this one with a grain of salt, because it's from the Daily Fail, (England's largest remaining tabloid news source). The practice of combining genes from 3 parents is forbidden in the US, by law. However, you can take an egg from one donor, empty it out and add genetic material from a 2nd person to it, then fertilise it with genetic material from a 3rd person. That's a technique currently being researched to overcome mitochodrial diseases. Frankly, I don't have a problem with that. Or genetic engineering to produce superior offspring. It's the parents choice. Unfortunately, most research like that is currently outlawed. This story is likely more scare story from the Fail.

Three-parent baby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://singularityhub.com/2009/02/02/genetically-modified-humans-children-with-three-parents/

Here's a story from January that the Fail ran.
    Children with genes from three parents to be born within two years thanks to new IVF technique | Mail Online

In this technique, tho there is DNA from only two people. And empty egg is just that. Empty. No third person DNA.
    In the real 3 parent that the Fail would like to say is happening, you have to remove the mitochondrial DNA and replace it. Doable, just not in the US and not likely in many other countries, either. We've still got a way to go. I doubt there've been 30 births using this technique.

For the record, I have no issues with gene engineering to get rid of diseases or even to improve the species.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Yes, because being able to eliminate things like Down's syndrome, Huntington's, cystic fibrosis and the like would be just terrible :rolleyes:

I see this as i see the anti-bacteria soap stuff. If it kills 99.9% of germs, what happens to the .01 percent that live and breed? Though this may be a bad way to look at it, we are creating super diseases by killing off the week ones.

That said, im still on the fence about GE, but im leaning towards the do not like.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Well, I'm going to take this one with a grain of salt, because it's from the Daily Fail, (England's largest remaining tabloid news source). The practice of combining genes from 3 parents is forbidden in the US, by law. However, you can take an egg from one donor, empty it out and add genetic material from a 2nd person to it, then fertilise it with genetic material from a 3rd person. That's a technique currently being researched to overcome mitochodrial diseases. Frankly, I don't have a problem with that. Or genetic engineering to produce superior offspring. It's the parents choice. Unfortunately, most research like that is currently outlawed. This story is likely more scare story from the Fail.

Three-parent baby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Genetically Modified Humans: Children With Three Parents | Singularity Hub

Here's a story from January that the Fail ran.
    Children with genes from three parents to be born within two years thanks to new IVF technique | Mail Online

In this technique, tho there is DNA from only two people. And empty egg is just that. Empty. No third person DNA.
    In the real 3 parent that the Fail would like to say is happening, you have to remove the mitochondrial DNA and replace it. Doable, just not in the US and not likely in many other countries, either. We've still got a way to go. I doubt there've been 30 births using this technique.

For the record, I have no issues with gene engineering to get rid of diseases or even to improve the species.

I agree, based on the source, I'm having a hard time believing this. I'll believe it when it starts showing up on Fox News or the New York Times or something. Also, if we can find a way to use genetic engineering to eliminate things like AIDS, and cancer and so forth, I'm all for it.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Yes, because being able to eliminate things like Down's syndrome, Huntington's, cystic fibrosis and the like would be just terrible :rolleyes:
    *puts on flame suit*.. hokay.. here we go.

you really want to cure cancer, down syndrome, all ailments? you really want to make humans live even longer?

WHY?

we are already approaching maximum capacity for nutrition development and housing. its kind of a give and take game. sure it would be great to have 12 billion people on earth living in 500 floor buildings and all in harmony, blah blah.. but who's going to feed them?

my point is: Mother nature will always find a way.

should it be starvation, a new plague, a war, whatever the case, if we keep pushing her buttons, shes going to get pissed.

i love my family and all the such, but when it comes to daily dialysis treatments, marrow transplants, infusions, all the likes, i not really living, im being kept alive.

*super powered flame suit activated*

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    *puts on flame suit*.. hokay.. here we go.

you really want to cure cancer, down syndrome, all ailments? you really want to make humans live even longer?

WHY?

we are already approaching maximum capacity for nutrition development and housing. its kind of a give and take game. sure it would be great to have 12 billion people on earth living in 500 floor buildings and all in harmony, blah blah.. but who's going to feed them?

my point is: Mother nature will always find a way.

should it be starvation, a new plague, a war, whatever the case, if we keep pushing her buttons, shes going to get pissed.

i love my family and all the such, but when it comes to daily dialysis treatments, marrow transplants, infusions, all the likes, i not really living, im being kept alive.

*super powered flame suit activated*

So we should stop trying to eradicate illness and diseases? Should we stop making medicine and cut funding to pharmaceutical companies. Stop funding college research for medicine and health? You must be a glass half empty guy (or a glass was half empty so I knocked it off the table guy).

I'm not saying I'm for GE but I think suggesting we should stop trying to make thngs better in the future is shortsighted.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    So we should stop trying to eradicate illness and diseases? Should we stop making medicine and cut funding to pharmaceutical companies. Stop funding college research for medicine and health? You must be a glass half empty guy (or a glass was half empty so I knocked it off the table guy).

I'm not saying I'm for GE but I think suggesting we should stop trying to make thngs better in the future is shortsighted.

im not saying that we need to stop making medicines, im saying WHEN, not IF, we hit the natural cap on resource production and population support, our little miracles of science are not going to help us..

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    im not saying that we need to stop making medicines, im saying WHEN, not IF, we hit the natural cap on resource production and population support, our little miracles of science are not going to help us..
    And if/when we reach that point we will see what happens.
    But why allow suffering in the interim if we can prevent it?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    And if/when we reach that point we will see what happens.
    But why allow suffering in the interim if we can prevent it?
    52606_f520.jpg

the people he performed services for aren't complaining about pain are they?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    There is nothing wrong with trying to fix gentic irregularity or anomolie in utero.

If a child can live a normal life who would otherwise be physically or mentally disabled, I am all for it.

If you would condemn a child to blindness, or a ventilator; shame on you. It is no life, and an abortion would probably have been better. But oddly enough, people are against that too. ****ty double standards huh?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    There is nothing wrong with trying to fix gentic irregularity or anomolie in utero.

If a child can live a normal life who would otherwise be physically or mentally disabled, I am all for it.

If you would condemn a child to blindness, or a ventilator; shame on you. It is no life, and an abortion would probably have been better. But oddly enough, people are against that too. ****ty double standards huh?

nothing wrong being a realist, but everyone persecutes you for it.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I think it's stupid. Kids are born blind and retarded. That's how it goes. Fixing these things means nothing. It's not like all of a sudden they will be happier. Also if you fixed it before they were born, they are selfish children that won't think about how lucky they are to see or have normal intelligence. They will take it for granted anyway and become jerks just like their parents. Also does this mean that rich people can just start paying to make their babies almost superhuman or at least weed out any possible weakness forseeable? People ruin the world, we don't need more and we don't need them to live any longer than they have to. Bill Hicks said that, "We're a virus with shoes."

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    The ability to be God is reserved. I don't want to turn this into a philosophical discussion, but that is my belief.

Nature provides its own balance. Man has selfishly always tried to change that balance in his favor and it has never worked.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    The ability to be God is reserved. I don't want to turn this into a philosophical discussion, but that is my belief.

Nature provides its own balance. Man has selfishly always tried to change that balance in his favor and it has never worked.
    then you've got nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom