• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    So my wife’s work issued a letter today that anyone who is unvaccinated must get tested twice per week, and must fill out a protocol sheet daily. Vaccinated employees need not follow any of these measures. They have not mandated the vaccine, but have issued a policy treating vaccinated and unvaccinated employees differently. My wife does not want the vaccine. She had COVID and recovered. She sees no benefit to the vaccine for her at this point.

My main issues with this…
    1. This does not account for employees who have contracted covid and have recovered naturally.
    2. This policy ignores the fact that the CDC has stated that even fully vaccinated people can still contract the virus and can spread it.
    3. The policy seems to discriminate against employees based on vaccination status.

We have already talked about finding a different job, but she has worked there for a long time and would prefer not to find another job. She will if necessary though.

I guess I’m looking for options to keep her at her job without being treated like she is a walking disease. Any thoughts on what recourse we have would be appreciated.

I’m sure this thread will derail at some point. This is INGO after all. But if you want to debate vaccines and treatments, there are plenty of threads for that.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    It's worth mentioning that in no way do I work with the general public, so I'm not risking anything in either direction as far as exposure.

My plan in that scenario is to refuse until termination. I personally don't think many employers will have the balls to fire people over it. They can't get enough workers now.

If I were exposed to thousands of people on a daily basis, I could see a company taking a harder line with employees. Even if you feel the science is all junk, a large organization isn't going to want to take on the risk of being accused of "super spreading". These policies are born in the media so your reasonable concerns are going to be ignored while HR "HR's" things up.

---

Another option is to go ahead and let them do the testing. Apparently it's not a big deal. My mother has had it done a couple of times and they basically just touch a q-tip to the inside of your nose, spin it a little, and it's over. I'm sure after a couple of weeks of your wife being away from her duties, and presumably at their expense, they will get tired of their new policy. I have seen a lot stupid policies die not too far off the vine before, so, go along to get along is a valid strategy...

external-content.duckduckgo.com.gif

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but getting vaccinated is an option.

If her only objection is that she sees no benefit...
    If it's an option, then it should end there. She shouldn't have to justify her objection. Doesn't sound like it's truly an "option" if one group is being treated differently than another group. But if her work is willing to give her paid leave to be tested then I'd take the paid time off. My work actually did allow us 4 hours paid administrative leave to get the vaccine. I didn't take it because I got mine on a weekend.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but getting vaccinated is an option.

If her only objection is that she sees no benefit...
    That is not her only objection.
    Just get tested twice a week. If she pops positive, enjoy the two week Uncle Sugar paid vacation.
    As I understand it, she will not be getting compensation for time used for testing (as it is done on site), nor will she receive compensation for being quarantined if she tests positive since she chose not to be vaccinated.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    As I understand it, she will not be getting compensation for time used for testing (as it is done on site), nor will she receive compensation for being quarantined if she tests positive since she chose not to be vaccinated.

In full disclosure I got my first poke today. Wife is dealing with a similar issue with her employer. The whole process was comedy gold. I have no doubt there will be policy changes. But as of right now I think companies still get funding for people who have to be quarantined because of Covid. That will soon change as everyone will be forced into the poke.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    So my wife’s work issued a letter today that anyone who is unvaccinated must get tested twice per week, and must fill out a protocol sheet daily. Vaccinated employees need not follow any of these measures. They have not mandated the vaccine, but have issued a policy treating vaccinated and unvaccinated employees differently. My wife does not want the vaccine. She had COVID and recovered. She sees no benefit to the vaccine for her at this point.

My main issues with this…
    1. This does not account for employees who have contracted covid and have recovered naturally.
    2. This policy ignores the fact that the CDC has stated that even fully vaccinated people can still contract the virus and can spread it.
    3. The policy seems to discriminate against employees based on vaccination status.

We have already talked about finding a different job, but she has worked there for a long time and would prefer not to find another job. She will if necessary though.

I guess I’m looking for options to keep her at her job without being treated like she is a walking disease. Any thoughts on what recourse we have would be appreciated.

I’m sure this thread will derail at some point. This is INGO after all. But if you want to debate vaccines and treatments, there are plenty of threads for that.
    Hoosierdood,

I completely understand your (and your wife's) concerns. It is frustrating for sure.

Many employers are now instituting the same/similar policy...especially now that the Pfizer vaccine is FDA approved. Leaving a current job may yield no benefit, wrt COVID vaccination requirements.

In Indiana, you serve your employer "at will". They can fire you for any reason and certainly for not following policy (even though said policy may be ridiculous and you had no say in the matter). Unfortunately, it's usually "follow the policy or be terminated".

You may want to look into the policy and see if any exemptions may apply (medical, religious, etc.).

Best of luck navigating this!

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Oh Yeah! I have a meeting tomorrow morning on this very topic.

Testing twice a week?
    Why if no symptoms?
    Vaccinated individuals can spread the plague too so why not test them?
    Punishment?
    As someone noted what about false positives?
    Are test being administered by licensed medical professionals?

Also as noted we are an At Will state but if you are a necessary employee her employer will be hard pressed to replace her if fired. Of course supply and demand changes and two years from now they will remember who has been naughty and nice.

Read the policy is great advice. Getting a lawyer is just going to cost you money, they don’t work for free. Get over the idea that the world and the workplace is “fair”, unless she is in a protected class and her firing can be tied to that protected class. Vaccination status is not a protected class.

Pretty sure the Uncle Sugar money for quarantine is scheduled to stop Sept. 30.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Thinking more deeply on this... Has she been vocal about her vax status or anything? I haven't said jack about mine to my employer and hadn't really intended to. I figure HIPAA covers my medical records and I'm not turning them over to anyone outside of someone providing me medical care.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Oh Yeah! I have a meeting tomorrow morning on this very topic.

Testing twice a week?
    Why if no symptoms?
    Vaccinated individuals can spread the plague too so why not test them?
    Punishment?
    As someone noted what about false positives?
    Are test being administered by licensed medical professionals?

Also as noted we are an At Will state but if you are a necessary employee her employer will be hard pressed to replace her if fired. Of course supply and demand changes and two years from now they will remember who has been naughty and nice.

Read the policy is great advice. Getting a lawyer is just going to cost you money, they don’t work for free. Get over the idea that the world and the workplace is “fair”, unless she is in a protected class and her firing can be tied to that protected class. Vaccination status is not a protected class.

Pretty sure the Uncle Sugar money for quarantine is scheduled to stop Sept. 30.
    Thinking more deeply on this... Has she been vocal about her vax status or anything? I haven't said jack about mine to my employer and hadn't really intended to. I figure HIPAA covers my medical records and I'm not turning them over to anyone outside of someone providing me medical care.

More info for clarification... she works in a private practice medical office. She works in a cubicle all day doing insurance authorizations and outpatient scheduling. The tests will be administered by a nurse at the office. One of the 11 doctors who work in the practice is our family doctor, so they know her vaccination status. The office manager had previously allowed the vaccinated to remove their masks while at their desks as long as they could show their card. It became apparent who was vaccinated or not. Approximately 40% (80 employees) did not verify their vaccinated status.

Top Bottom