• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm going to buy one of these wood stoves today and have some questions on pipes.
    Cast iron Deluxe Boxwood woostove model #BX42E

Do I have to use double wall pipe or will single wall do? I'm buying this to keep in storage in case we ever have a long term power outage. In that case I will set it up and cut out a hole in the roof of a small outbuilding. I plan to buy the fittings and enough pipe to have on hand for most installation types. I will most likely set this up in a pole barn in the future for shop heat. Thanks for any advice

Ranger Rick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    In GOD'S country
    Use single wall pipe on the inside to the roof..thru the roof and on up use stainless double insulated with a rain cap..does the building have an ceiling or is it open to the roof?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Double or triple wall flu is best. The idea is to keep the very hot pipe out of contact with flammable portions of the house. If its just a pole barn and the only contact is with metal, I would guess you would be ok with single.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The outbuilding has a wood ceiling and an attic above it. I'll probably pick up about 10' of single wall and 10' double then. I'll need some sort of wall thimble for the ceiling and the roof, I know. I read that the damper on this stove isn't all that hot so I'll see about getting a pipe with a damper in it as well.

I have limited fireplace/stove experience. I take it the more the damper is open, the hotter the stove can get? I run a corn burner now and it doesn't have a damper but has a draft fan. The faster and higher the flame goes up the hotter it will burn. From what I understand, you want a nice flame with a little updraft, correct? Thanks

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I purposely decided on this one as it works as a cook stove. I'd like to get a full out cookstove with an oven on it but they are way more expensive and harder to come by.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Keep the single wall at least 18" away from where you pass it though the wall/ceiling/roof. Single wall presents a large fire hazard to the structure.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Okay, thanks. I want to get enough that I can use this in different scenarios. I don't think I'd ever need over 20' and if I have half or each, I should be okay. Thanks

Top Bottom