• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Really wish that instead of hiding what happens in these cases, an effort would be made to turn the unfortunate events into learning/teaching opportunities.

The aviation and skydiving communities (among others) do a first-rate investigation into fatal accidents and make the results public. There is always something to learn.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Are there range officers at indoor ranges usually? I've never shot at an indoor range, but would imagine there would be a reason to have them.
    The ROs at Point Blank are particularly useless. But at least they have them. They stand back sweeping up brass, constantly ignoring unsafe gun handling. You sign a form covering the range if someone else shoots you, but if you slip and fall on brass, they might get sued.

The ROs are there to protect the company...not you.

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The ROs at Point Blank are particularly useless. But at least they have them. They stand back sweeping up brass, constantly ignoring unsafe gun handling. You sign a form covering the range if someone else shoots you, but if you slip and fall on brass, they might get sued.

I personally know an RO at a PB. He's not like that. Just saying.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    It wouldn’t have helped in this particular situation, but I always have a full trauma kit when I’m at the range. Accidents happen, and I’ve seen some really stupid behavior. Indoor ranges seem especially sketchy for some reason. Outdoor ranges seem to be a little better since they’re more tightly controlled. RSOs can help if they’re willing to confront people. The ones at Deer Creek can be a little extra, but they’re on top of it at least.

Most of the trouble could be solved by people swallowing their pride and asking for help. The last time I was at the range I watched an older guy with a Kimber who I’m 99% certain had never fired a pistol in his life. If you’re new to firearms, just ask for help. Please. Lots of folks are willing to help, but aren’t going to jump in your business without you asking.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    In fairness to responsible (indoor) RO's, I've seen them with newbies in lanes 2 and 6, and unable to give constant attention to both. Sometimes I just put my gun down and step back and watch the other newbie for a minute, maybe chat with them for a moment until the RO breaks free. Ask them what caliber or gun they're shooting, anything to slow things down. The RO's I know are always appreciative.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It wouldn’t have helped in this particular situation, but I always have a full trauma kit when I’m at the range. Accidents happen, and I’ve seen some really stupid behavior. Indoor ranges seem especially sketchy for some reason. Outdoor ranges seem to be a little better since they’re more tightly controlled. RSOs can help if they’re willing to confront people. The ones at Deer Creek can be a little extra, but they’re on top of it at least.

Most of the trouble could be solved by people swallowing their pride and asking for help. The last time I was at the range I watched an older guy with a Kimber who I’m 99% certain had never fired a pistol in his life. If you’re new to firearms, just ask for help. Please. Lots of folks are willing to help, but aren’t going to jump in your business without you asking.
    I have made attempts in the past to assist those who were obviously shooting impaired. Some will accept your assistance if you ask properly and not in a manner that will ding their pride.
    The rest range from not interested I got this to full blown ass hats. I have had occasion to mention the business end of the gun needs to stay pointed down range and not in my direction. The deer in the headlights look is never a surprise.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    RSOs, just as any other group have their heroes and zeros. Unfortunately, to use another analogy there's a fine line between being an RSO that's an asset and a**hole.
    As CM said, some people welcome assistance and others consider themselves full blown operators or feel their manhood is being insulted when corrected. I did it for a couple of years and backed away when it wasn't enjoyable anymore. It was rewarding in many ways (never financially) but at the same time the most stressful job I ever had. A halfhearted "I'm sorry" is not adequate after warning someone about muzzle discipline and a few minutes later having a loaded gun pointed at you.
    It's rewarding most days but on the difficult days it's impossible to pay someone enough and a thankless job. We all make mistakes but there's a huge percentage of people with firearms that don't know what they don't know and have NO interest in being enlightened. The answer is firearms training/education but as we all know, you can lead someone to knowledge but you can't make them think.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I’ve seen on several occasions two people sharing a lane with a person standing behind someone and drawing a firearm from concealment, sweeping the person in front of them. Come on folks, learn the four rules of gun safety!
    Education is Key to Safety while handing a firearm!
    1. Treat all firearms as if they are loaded (until you check it yourself, then leave the action 'open'.)
    2. Keep muzzle pointed in a safe direction (never at anything you don't want to destroy or kill.)
    3. Keep finger off trigger (until you have properly identified your target and are ready to shoot.)
    4. Be aware of your target and what's behind it (you are responsible for each round that leaves the end of the barrel until it stops...regardless of who or what it strikes.)
    Yes, people have a right to carry a handgun at age 18...at least in Indiana!
    Yes, people have a right to buy, sell, and possess a handgun at age 21...in Indiana!
    But that doesn't mean the individual knows what they are doing (safety-wise) with that firearm!
    Knowing how to handle a firearm in a safe, responsible, and prudent manner are learned patterns of behavior that are practiced EVERY TIME one has a firearm in their physical possession. Becoming 'educated' as to what that means is part of the responsibility of possessing, carrying, and using a firearm!

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The answer is firearms training/education but as we all know, you can lead someone to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
    Bingo...best response right there!
    The overall best safety one can have is that grey thingy between their ears...if that isn't working properly or correctly (impaired by alcohol or drugs, lack of education, etc.), nothing else will either!

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I was at Shoot Point Blank in Carmel yesterday. Seemed safe the way the lanes are designed. However, as I was leaving I walked past a guy that smelled like he just smoked pot. I sure hope they didn’t allow him to shoot.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Just like with any business, there are good employees and bad employees. I shoot at the Greenwood SPB often and the RSO's that are there when I am are mostly pretty good and have no issues throwing out or chastising anyone who isn't following the rules.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I was at Shoot Point Blank in Carmel yesterday. Seemed safe the way the lanes are designed. However, as I was leaving I walked past a guy that smelled like he just smoked pot. I sure hope they didn’t allow him to shoot.
    As society has become more accepting to this it has become ridiculous. I have denied sales to people because they reek of it. I can't stand the smell of it. I have smelled it while driving down the road even. I consider it the same as alcohol. You do you but don't involve firearms or vehicles with it and don't make others tolerate your stench.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    As society has become more accepting to this it has become ridiculous. I have denied sales to people because they reek of it. I can't stand the smell of it. I have smelled it while driving down the road even. I consider it the same as alcohol. You do you but don't involve firearms or vehicles with it and don't make others tolerate your stench.
    Going to chime in on this one agree 1000%

As a aside I feel the same way with regards to tobacco smokers. Understanding it’s their right to smoke, but my rights end at my nostrils and mouth? And one is required to breathe in their toxins.

Top Bottom