• ...and so much more!
  • Philabuster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Laporte, IN
    Nothing on the news.:scratch:
    If you do see anything posted please link. Or PM me. This was a relative of mine. We was troubled. Possible opioids. I was told he was battling depression badly the last year. He apparently went there just to rent the gun. Ironically he was an anti gun liberal. And now a coward.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

Don’t trust your life to RO’s.

I was at a local range by me that has since shut down, thank god, when a RO was showing a girl how to manipulate an AR. It was shouldered and pointed straight down the damn line. I backed up while loading a mag and it was pointed directly at my fking head. When I said wtf, the RO said, don’t worry, its not loaded.

I promptly left, and never went back. Glad they shut down.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    If you do see anything posted please link. Or PM me. This was a relative of mine. We was troubled. Possible opioids. I was told he was battling depression badly the last year. He apparently went there just to rent the gun. Ironically he was an anti gun liberal. And now a coward.
    Condolences, unfortunately depression is a tough nut to crack let alone adding substance abuse issues.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Here’s a good idea. Start a chain of corporate owned cement block square buildings and jam it full of casual gun owners. We can save money by having employees double as sales, register clerks, janitors and range officers. If we get short on help we can hire a few gun groupies to fill in for range safety. Of course we must keep our insurance in tact.

No thank you. There are many non corporate owned good indoor ranges in Indiana. I shoot in many and have memberships as well. And there are some that I stay out of from fear of being carried out on a stretcher.

If you are not sure of the safety of your indoor range, perhaps put the gun down and work on your situational awareness.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

Don’t trust your life to RO’s.

I was at a local range by me that has since shut down, thank god, when a RO was showing a girl how to manipulate an AR. It was shouldered and pointed straight down the damn line. I backed up while loading a mag and it was pointed directly at my fking head. When I said wtf, the RO said, don’t worry, its not loaded.

I promptly left, and never went back. Glad they shut down.
    Glad you came out of it uninjured. RO statement would carry as much weight as Alec Baldwins opinion.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Here’s a good idea. Start a chain of corporate owned cement block square buildings and jam it full of casual gun owners. We can save money by having employees double as sales, register clerks, janitors and range officers. If we get short on help we can hire a few gun groupies to fill in for range safety. Of course we must keep our insurance in tact.

No thank you. There are many non corporate owned good indoor ranges in Indiana. I shoot in many and have memberships as well. And there are some that I stay out of from fear of being carried out on a stretcher.

If you are not sure of the safety of your indoor range, perhaps put the gun down and work on your situational awareness.
    Reminds me when my Son and I went to an authorized retailer to pick something up. Range had 6 cameras one of them showed a lady pointing her newly acquired ***** at several people like she had no idea of the danger of her actions. My son told Dennis the owner Ah should she really have her finger on the trigger pointing waving at everyone in her path.

In very short order someone was down there deeming the range cold to address the issue. The store does a large amount of advanced training, force on force etc. Clearly the range really needs to have a competent person on the range when circumstances dictate.

There are only two ranges I go to and one of them is situated on our homestead.

It would be different if a lot of people did not take suggestions for safe gun handling as an insult to their manhood. Regardless of how tactful the messages is delivered.

Last edited:

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    It's been a very long time since I've been anywhere near an indoor range. Was standing inside the bay and glanced up to my right and noticed there was a hole in the partition between the lanes. I've never set foot in one again.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I can't count the number of times I chastised people for pointing guns at themselves and others when RSOing. More often than not I was told "it's not loaded" or scowled at for disrespecting them (that was the perception) in front of others.. I am honestly surprised we don't read about this more often. Don't want to threadjack but this give me fodder for another thread I've been considering for a while..
    And this is why I preach three rules instead of four. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction is rule number one as it should be.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    It's been a very long time since I've been anywhere near an indoor range. Was standing inside the bay and glanced up to my right and noticed there was a hole in the partition between the lanes. I've never set foot in one again.

Every indoor range I have been to is like this. Holes in the dividers, holes on the tray in front of you, the ceiling directly above you. Crazy.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Pretty sure the 4th rule is there for a reason.
    Cooper’s Fourth is covered by NRA’s First. Coopers First isn’t a “Rule” at all. It’s an easily disproven logical fallacy…

Anyway, Cooper’s Four Rules have helped keep a lot of people safe so there’s that.

/threadjack

Last edited:

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    And this is why I preach three rules instead of four. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction is rule number one as it should be.
    First, sad that a life was lost and condolences.
    To re the safety aspect, an example of the 4th rule being relevant is the case of a good guy being behind a bad guy; if the good guy is NOT in the picture, aiming at the bad guy IS a 'safe' direction ('cept for the intended target) BUT add the good guy behind the bad guy and it changes the exact same scenario into an UN-safe direction. Hence the 4th rule, know the target and beyond.
    Regardless, the sport of IDPA shooting does a great job of promoting awareness of this. Stage scenarios will have non-threats in play and the participant will have to move accordingly to get the bad guy without a hit on the non-threat. Highly recommended if someone is looking for good handgun training that is also fun.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think that we are fighting the results of the anti-gun machine in this issue. Gun training should begin in grade school and continue into high school. This is America where civilian firearms ownership is an integral part of our system of government. The anti-gunners have successfully separated gun training from any form of formal education and we are seeing the results.

It’s sad that in a country that put civilian firearm ownership into it’s Constitution, most people that are not gun people get their only knowledge of guns from movies.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Know your target and what is beyond hits home with me. Ten or 12 years ago a good friend and I went to a small local club range no RO's members only. When we got there someone had a piece of plywood standing up with targets pinned to it. We both started using the unshot targets, it was about 20 yards out with me shooting a handgun and him shooting his AR.
    He yells at me to take his AR because it had blown up and he was hurt. I took the gun and find nothing wrong but he is bleeding from the chin. Turned out not a serious wound but scary and a real eye opener for both of us.
    We found the plywood was proped up from behind with a large piece of steel angle iron. His round went through the plywood and hit the angle iron. It splattered out the lead, turned the copper jacket inside out and it came back through the hole and hit him in the chin. Cut a nice round hole in his chin with enough impact to make his chin hurt for a week. Could have been much worse or even fatal if lower or higher impact. Jim.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think that we are fighting the results of the anti-gun machine in this issue. Gun training should begin in grade school and continue into high school. This is America where civilian firearms ownership is an integral part of our system of government. The anti-gunners have successfully separated gun training from any form of formal education and we are seeing the results.

It’s sad that in a country that put civilian firearm ownership into it’s Constitution, most people that are not gun people get their only knowledge of guns from movies.
    This is all true and by design. The antis are playing the long game.

Top Bottom