• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Shakesville: Police Assault Woman Who Called for Help; Sue News Station Who Exposes Them

In the below video, Ohio NBC affiliate WKYC investigator Tom Meyer speaks to Greg Steffey, whose wife, Hope Steffey, called 911 after being assaulted by her cousin. When the police arrived, Hope was "mistakenly" treated as the perpetrator, arrested, taken to jail, subjected to a full-body strip search by male and female officers in violation of the sheriff's department's own policy, and left naked in a cell for six hours. There is video of the strip search included in the news segment, and it is extremely upsetting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvr3dWU4no8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvr3...&disqus_reply=6423770&feature=player_embedded

I guess I can cross Ohio off the list of places to go.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    That happened a year or so ago. Since then there have been other women that came forward to say the same sort of things, but not quite as extreme. It was supposed to go to Grand Jury, but I don't know the outcome.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    A new sheriff and all new deputies and officers. Fire every one, the only way to be sure.

Resisting arrest and Disorderly conduct are both BS charges and need to be written off the law books. Just more examples of JBT action in this nation. And while I like to support the police, there is a problem with many eliments of law enforcement in this country and this is another example.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Not just the sheriff needs to be replaced here. Everyone involved with the violation of this woman needs to be fired. How could anyone claim this was legal or right in any way.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    The grand jury found in favor of the officers. They are now suing her for defamation! She has filed a civil rights suit with the feds but I couldnt' find anything that had updated info. Amazing.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The grand jury found in favor of the officers. They are now suing her for defamation! She has filed a civil rights suit with the feds but I couldnt' find anything that had updated info. Amazing.
    Thanks for the update. Seems like I heard something like that, but I wasn't sure and didn't go looking. I didn't know about the civil rights fed suit, though.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Land of the free huh....

:+1:

I don't care what more to the story there was, that was disgustingly wrong and immoral and obviously against policy. What judge did they have? Hometown judge? State judge? Federal Judge? Even the judge needs a nice stern FU and uprooted from his authoritive powers!

:n00b::nuts::puke:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Here's my take on it....from the video that is available. I don't know what happened at her home. My guess would be she flipped out and became disorderly and got arrested. Why? I dunno. I wasn't there and there is no video showing the events up to that point. From the video that I've watched and what I've read she wasn't being strip searched....she's having her clothing removed because she made statements leading deputies to believe she was suicidal or may possibly harm herself. And once those kinds of statements are made they have to be taken seriously. All clothing is removed and the arrestee is placed in a suicide prevention gown of some type. She was also being combative and resisting. When that happens, it's all business. Male or female. It's not a peep show. A department isn't going to risk injury to their employees because there are only X amount of female deputies available to remove her clothing. When this happens and people resist anyone available assists. To prevent injury to themselves and the arrestee. 6 officers would find it easier and have to use less force to restrain a resisting arrestee than 2. Again, male or female. Like I said...I'm not second guessing anyone. Just stating what it appears I see....and what I read on the events. But it does not look like a strip search to me. And you are correct. A grand jury did not return indictments on any deputy. I had not heard of the civil suit.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    :+1:

I don't care what more to the story there was, that was disgustingly wrong and immoral and obviously against policy. What judge did they have? Hometown judge? State judge? Federal Judge? Even the judge needs a nice stern FU and uprooted from his authoritive powers!

:n00b::nuts::puke:
    Bad things happen in jail. Stay out of jail. The U.S. Supreme court has ruled "jail is an inherently dangerous place".

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Here's my take on it....from the video that is available. I don't know what happened at her home. My guess would be she flipped out and became disorderly and got arrested. Why? I dunno. I wasn't there and there is no video showing the events up to that point. From the video that I've watched and what I've read she wasn't being strip searched....she's having her clothing removed because she made statements leading deputies to believe she was suicidal or may possibly harm herself. And once those kinds of statements are made they have to be taken seriously. All clothing is removed and the arrestee is placed in a suicide prevention gown of some type. She was also being combative and resisting. When that happens, it's all business. Male or female. It's not a peep show. A department isn't going to risk injury to their employees because there are only X amount of female deputies available to remove her clothing. When this happens and people resist anyone available assists. To prevent injury to themselves and the arrestee. 6 officers would find it easier and have to use less force to restrain a resisting arrestee than 2. Again, male or female. Like I said...I'm not second guessing anyone. Just stating what it appears I see....and what I read on the events. But it does not look like a strip search to me. And you are correct. A grand jury did not return indictments on any deputy. I had not heard of the civil suit.
    Back when this happened, it seemed that I read in the paper that she had an I.D. in her purse that wasn't hers. It was sort of a keepsake of her deceased sister. When she was distraught about the initial attack and the cop showed up, she broke down crying and leaned on him and he (thinking she was part of the initial trouble) mistook it for something else. When he made her present her ID, she handed him the contents of her wallet and he realized an ID in his hand didn't match what she was saying (it was the sister's). That's when he (according to her) became very physical, accused her of lying, told her to shut up crying about a dead sister, and shoved her to the ground. When she started screaming that he didn't understand and tried to struggle to get free, that's when it was on.
    That was either from the News Tribune from Hicksville, or the Ft.Wayne Journal Gazette.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I just cruised through a couple of other sites, one of them was

US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

and I got thoroughly disgusted reading some comments. Most of them were directed toward the officers were doing their jobs, they were doing the right thing, yada, yada, yada. There were even some claiming she was in the wrong for having her deceases sisters ID. That she had to be using it for identity theft. As if that was all that was needed for the treatment she recieved. I saw nothing that warranted that treatment, maybe if the officer had his camera on during the arrest, as he should have, there would be something more. That is why cameras are used, for evidence against suspects and, IMO, to insure the badge does not step out of line.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Back when this happened, it seemed that I read in the paper that she had an I.D. in her purse that wasn't hers. It was sort of a keepsake of her deceased sister. When she was distraught about the initial attack and the cop showed up, she broke down crying and leaned on him and he (thinking she was part of the initial trouble) mistook it for something else. When he made her present her ID, she handed him the contents of her wallet and he realized an ID in his hand didn't match what she was saying (it was the sister's). That's when he (according to her) became very physical, accused her of lying, told her to shut up crying about a dead sister, and shoved her to the ground. When she started screaming that he didn't understand and tried to struggle to get free, that's when it was on.
    That was either from the News Tribune from Hicksville, or the Ft.Wayne Journal Gazette.
    You're right...I forgot about reading of those events. But who knows. I won't speculate.

Top Bottom