• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I apologize if this has been covered before. I am having a bear of a time trying to get this sorted out.
    I understand that Wisconsin is an OC state only. I also understand that they consider vehicle-carry to be CC.
    My question is this: were I to go to Wisconsin, could I "legally" OC there? Are they a state that permits OC without a license/permit? Thanks all! :patriot::ingo::patriot:

Ghostrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Mishawaka
    I apologize if this has been covered before. I am having a bear of a time trying to get this sorted out.
    I understand that Wisconsin is an OC state only. I also understand that they consider vehicle-carry to be CC.
    My question is this: were I to go to Wisconsin, could I "legally" OC there? Are they a state that permits OC without a license/permit? Thanks all! :patriot::ingo::patriot:
    Wisconsin is supposedly an OC only state but I have heard stories about people being hassled big time by the police there for OC.

They do not issue permits for cc.
    Carrying in a vehicle is considered CC and is prohibited.

Here are some links concerning the subject but as always, before you go there, always do your own research on the law to be safe.

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Wisconsin
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/WIAGOpenCarry.pdf

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    For clarity, Wisconsin statutes do not mention open carry at all. About a year ago the AG issued a non-binding opinion that OC is legal, but in the same statement cautioned that carriers are open to arrest on any number of charges for having a weapon. It all comes down to jurisdiction. Some of the more rural, gun-tolerant areas are fine but the large cities are very hostile toward gun owners. As a former Badger I've kept up enough on the news to be confident the above comments apply to Wisconsinites but I am unclear on whether carry by non residents is more likely to get you in trouble.

As a semi-related example of a gun-unfriendly area, a former coworker got in some trouble in Milwaukee. We were armed guards based out of Madison, but had contracts throughout the southern part of the state. This guy went from an armed post in Madison to an unarmed post in Milwaukee. The WI armed card license allows carry only while on duty and to and from work to home. My employer at this time was using standard cab Ford Rangers as patrol vehicles. My coworker removed his firearm after his armed assignment, unloaded and disassembled it, and distributed the pieces between the two closed compartments behind the seat in the cab of the truck. There was an incident on the property that required police involvement and the responding officers noted my coworkers empty holster. Rather than lie about having a gun, he admitted to having a disassembled pistol in his vehicle. The cops pulled him in to the station, confiscated his pistol, and it was only through talking with our boss (a serving LEO and small-town police chief) that my coworker wasn't arrested. No charges were ever filed on the accusation of carrying a weapon inside the passenger compartment of the car (unlawful concealed carry) but the BS went on for weeks and I'm not sure the guy ever got his tun back.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers

I grew up there, and still visit and hunt monthly, and carry often.

If you're going to Madison or Milwaukee (think Bloomington), you might get harrassed.
    If you go North or rural, where the cool people are, you'll get asked what holster you're using, and how well it carries.

Enjoy!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    OC is legal without a permit, so the LTCH has no bearing on anything. You CAN carry without a permit. After a few high-profile cases where open-carriers were hassled, you're unlikely to be charged with anything, though you may get some crap from the cops.

One thing to be aware of, WI has a GFSZ (Gun-Free School Zone) law whereby the carrying of firearms is prohibited within 1,000' of a school and it's grounds. In the bill passed through their Senate and likely to become law, this prohibition will be removed for permit-holders, but as it stands now, any guns within 1,000' feet of a school are supposed to be unloaded and encased.

As mentioned before, carry in your vehicle is prohibited. Gun must be unloaded, encased and not immediately accessible.

Same with long-guns. Unlike Indiana, in Wisconsin you may not carry a loaded long gun in your vehicle. It must be transported same as a handgun.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    so it looks like WI will have a concealed carry law on the books very soon. I imagine that our LTCH will not be recognized because IN doesn't require training. Anyone have the skinny?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    so it looks like WI will have a concealed carry law on the books very soon. I imagine that our LTCH will not be recognized because IN doesn't require training. Anyone have the skinny?

As the bill that the Senate passed that is being considered in the Assembly looks, Indiana's LTCH SHOULD be recognized. The law basically states that their DOJ is supposed to make a list of states that have a background check similar to Wisconsin's. Those states will be recognized for non-res carry. Training is not mentioned in regards to out-of-state recognition.

The bill is supposed to be considered and voted on in the Assembly Tuesday and should pass. Once the governor signs it, it takes effect on the first day of the fourth month after signing, which if it's signed in June would be October 1.

Top Bottom