• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    That's true. Honestly, the power outage we had back at the end of June (which prompted my generator purchase) was the longest outage we've ever had. Normally it's a matter of an hour or less, but that one would have resulted in food loss if I hadn't kept the refrigerators going. I still don't have a transfer switch, so it meant running extension cords, but we got by.

I just put my deep cycle battery on the charger. That's been my go-to (with an inverter) for minor power outages. I can run the tv/internet/phone and one light with that at least.
    My solar set up(just 2 100 watt panels connected to a couple of 31 batteries...batteries also act as backups for my diesel truck) is simply to run an inverter for the router, charge headlamps, phones, and a laptop. Generator for everything else(2 generators actually).

Honestly I need to get a 12V USB station, as almost everything I charge and use with that setup could still be used without the inverter and its fan wasting as much. Now that I thought of it....just ordered.
    Amazon product ASIN B0BM3S5463

Last edited:

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    My solar set up(just 2 100 watt panels connected to a couple of 31 batteries...batteries also act as backups for my diesel truck) is simply to run an inverter for the router, charge headlamps, phones, and a laptop. Generator for everything else(2 generators actually).

Honestly I need to get a 12V USB station, as almost everything I charge and use with that setup could still be used without the inverter and its fan wasting as much. Now that I thought of it....just ordered.
    Amazon product ASIN B0BM3S5463
    I have a 200 watt Renogy solar set-up on my cabin in Alaska. Plan on installing the same system on my house here in Indiana. It would be enough to run some led lights and charge phones. I would also use it to power my amateur radios.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I spent the last two days on the phone with my propane supplier. They skipped the December delivery, tank is low and when I requested expedited delivery they wanted to charge me extra. When I go on line and look at my account there is a message that there is a problem with December and January deliveries. I call and no one can tell me what the problem is! Time top switch propane suppliers.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Made sure the batteries in the tractor with snow blower and 4 wheeler with plow were charged. Topped them off with gas, as well as the gennie. Filled up three, 6 gallon gas cans with ethanol free, plus my car. It was cheaper than premium. Just need to change oil in gennie tonight and I'll be set.

Down here in southern St Joe Co, I expect a replay of Christmas 2022. We only had a few inches of snow, but a couple straight days of high wind made our north/south road almost impassible. But NIPSCO managed to keep the lights on. I hope they do it again.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    I spent the last two days on the phone with my propane supplier. They skipped the December delivery, tank is low and when I requested expedited delivery they wanted to charge me extra. When I go on line and look at my account there is a message that there is a problem with December and January deliveries. I call and no one can tell me what the problem is! Time top switch propane suppliers.
    Give Indy Propane a call. I changed to them a year and a half ago and they have real time monitoring of my tank and fill it between 20-25%. Even have a budget plan but you have to wait until summer to sign up. You can tell them Ron Hamersley referred you...maybe I'll get a kickback!

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Charging my power bank at work, and I picked up an indoor safe propane heater if I get stuck during the cold without power for a while.

Plan A is still "drive to brewery with power and wait for all this to blow over". :laugh:
    Sounds like an excellent plan!

Top Bottom