• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Im thinking of having the windows tinted in my wifes car and was wondering if anyone here could suggest a shop ? Im from the Matinsville /Mooresville area so something local would be best. Thanks !

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    333-tint, the best guy I know I send all my detailing customers there and they have always been more than happy. he's in bloomington just off 37

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I will have to keep that in mind. All the shops I have seen around the west side seem quite "ghetto." Not saying that I think they will do a crappy job or anything, just would prefer someplace that has good reviews :)

Thanks,
    Zac

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just keep in mind that Indiana has a "tint law"... Don't get the front windows and/or the windshield too dark.

-J-

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Im thinking of having the windows tinted in my wifes car and was wondering if anyone here could suggest a shop ? Im from the Matinsville /Mooresville area so something local would be best. Thanks !

What ever you do, do not go to ZieBart in Bloomington.

A very good friend of mine had his new Oakley sunglasses stolen out of his console when they installed a remote starter, protection package and tinted the windows.

Just keep in mind that Indiana has a "tint law"... Don't get the front windows and/or the windshield too dark.

-J-

Mine are .15 and have had no issues yet. As long as you do not drive like a maniac you should not have any issues.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    [SIZE=+1]Section 60-6,257
    Windshield and windows; tinting; sunscreening; prohibited acts; terms, defined.
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](1) It shall be unlawful for a person to drive a motor vehicle required to be registered in this state upon a highway:
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](a) If the windows in such motor vehicle are tinted so that the driver's clear view through the windshield or side or rear windows is reduced or the ability to see into the motor vehicle is substantially impaired;
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](b) If the windshield has any sunscreening material that is not clear and transparent below the AS-1 line or if it has a sunscreening material that is red, yellow, or amber in color above the AS-1 line;
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](c) If the front side windows have any sunscreening or other transparent material that has a luminous reflectance of more than thirty-five percent or has light transmission of less than thirty-five percent;
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](d) If the rear window or side windows behind the front seat have sunscreening or other transparent material that has a luminous reflectance of more than thirty-five percent or has light transmission of less than twenty percent except for the rear window or side windows behind the front seat on a multipurpose vehicle, van, or bus; or
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](e) If the windows of a camper, motor home, pickup cover, slide-in camper, or other motor vehicle do not meet the standards for safety glazing material specified by federal law in 49 C.F.R. 571.205.
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](2) For purposes of this section and sections 60-6,258 and 60-6,259:
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](a) AS-1 line shall mean a line extending from the letters AS-1, found on most motor vehicle windshields, running parallel to the top of the windshield or shall mean a line five inches below and parallel to the top of the windshield, whichever is closer to the top of the windshield;
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](b) Camper shall mean a structure designed to be mounted in the cargo area of a truck or attached to an incomplete vehicle with motive power for the purpose of providing shelter for persons;
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](c) Glass-plastic glazing material shall mean a laminate of one or more layers of glass and one or more layers of plastic in which a plastic surface of the glazing faces inward when the glazing is installed in a vehicle;
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](d) Light transmission shall mean the ratio of the amount of total light, expressed in percentages, which is allowed to pass through the sunscreening or transparent material to the amount of total light falling on the motor vehicle window;
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](e) Luminous reflectance shall mean the ratio of the amount of total light, expressed in percentages, which is reflected outward by the sunscreening or transparent material to the amount of total light falling on the motor vehicle window;
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](f) Motor home shall mean a multipurpose passenger vehicle that provides living accommodations;
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](g) Multipurpose vehicle shall mean a motor vehicle designed to carry ten or fewer passengers that is constructed on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road use;
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](h) Pickup cover shall mean a camper having a roof and sides but without a floor designated to be mounted on and removable from the cargo area of a truck by the user;
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](i) Slide-in camper shall mean a camper having a roof, floor, and sides designed to be mounted on and removable from the cargo area of a truck by the user; and
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](j) Sunscreening material shall mean a film, material, tint, or device applied to motor vehicle windows for the purpose of reducing the effects of the sun.
    [/SIZE]

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I had 35% on my last car and it was a perfect amount. some of my friends did 20% and it really cut down on night time driving visibility.

If I did my jeep I would do 35% on the glass windows, and leave the rear plastic windows alone since they have factory tint anyways. I plan on having the windows down / doors off for most of the summer anyways. :-D

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Thanks for the input ! I called the guy Tyler34 suggested but he doesnt do Saturdays :dunno: Its kind of a surprise so have to find someone who will or can do it on the weekend .

abrumlev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    NE Indy
    Just go somewhere with a lifetime warranty. If not taken care of or left in the sun, the tint will bubble and peel. I have 5% on mine with nothing on the windshield. It's sweet but I kind of regret it at times, I have never gotten in trouble. Knock on wood.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Just go somewhere with a lifetime warranty. If not taken care of or left in the sun, the tint will bubble and peel. I have 5% on mine with nothing on the windshield. It's sweet but I kind of regret it at times, I have never gotten in trouble. Knock on wood.
    5% on mine all around except the windshield. In the rear the 5% is over the factory tint so it's probably more like 2 or 3% back there.

Never had an issue with it.

That said my previous car was a 2001 maroon intrepid with 20% and I was hassled all the time :dunno:

Some one quoted the statues on the last page... they left out some of the exemptions... LEO, military, government, yada yada... there are also exemptions for people with medical conditions, such as photo sensitivity to the sun (in all honesty can anyone stare into the sun?) or skin conditions ect. ect.

Just get a prescription and you'll be fine.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    5% over factory tint all the way around on my Silverado. Never had any issues.
    I do make sure my window is all the way down before the officer ever gets there if I am pulled over.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Side note, anyone know of a good shop in or around lafayette. Been wanting to get some tint put on, but not sure where to go.

Top Bottom