• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Hi folks!! I have wanted one of the lever action Winchester Trails End model 94 rifles for a long time now. A friend of mine from church had one in 44 mag with a crescent buttstock and octagon barrel that I really loved for a great price. I have just put off buying it because I have a wife and four daughters and there is always something more important to spend the money on. Anyway to make a long story short (too late I know) my wife woke me this morning to tell me that she had a suprise for me and handed me a box of ammo that I assumed was for my .45 until I looked at the box a bit better. It was 44 mag. She then told me to go out to her van to get my new gun that she had bought from my friend. Awesome huh? Sorry I am just still on cloud 9 from my getting my gun fix and had to share that lol.

The stock and forearm have some pretty rough handling marks on them and I am considering refinishing them myself. My questions are:

1. Should I just use the Brownells French Red or is there something closer to original finish color?

2. It has a couple of areas that I am sure will need some type of filler and my experience with wood filler on furniture and trim is that the filler seems to finish a bit darker in the treated areas than the rest of the surface. Is there an alternative (homemade or store bought) that will not do that?

3. Would it just be better to try and find a replacement stock and forearm if possible?

I am not too worried about hurting resale value as I don't intend to sell it but I would still like it to look as close to original as possible. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    If your talking about dents an dings or small scratches that you need to fill....I would suggest that you steam them out first an see....if you don't know about steaming, heres what I do to some of my really rough wood on Garands, its incrediable how deep of dents an dings come out.....soak the wood in wet towels pouring water on the towels every so often for 6 to 10 hours. Unrap an place wood on a board, put a wet towel over the wood a iron it. As the towel dry's from the iron continue to wet it, moving the iron back an fourth. This pulls the dents out. You can repeat this process again if needed. Then let the wood completely dry, sand an stain.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If your talking about dents an dings or small scratches that you need to fill....I would suggest that you steam them out first an see....if you don't know about steaming, heres what I do to some of my really rough wood on Garands, its incrediable how deep of dents an dings come out.....soak the wood in wet towels pouring water on the towels every so often for 6 to 10 hours. Unrap an place wood on a board, put a wet towel over the wood a iron it. As the towel dry's from the iron continue to wet it, moving the iron back an fourth. This pulls the dents out. You can repeat this process again if needed. Then let the wood completely dry, sand an stain.
    Agree completely. Dents will amazingly rise up as the wood soaks up the water. Let us know how it turns out, and as so many say, this post is useless without pics.

+1 for the great find
    +2 for the great wife getting it for you.

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Wow. I never even thought of doing anything like like that. I will give it a shot and I will try to post some before and after pics as soon as I can.Thanks for the great advice!!!

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Thanks 451 Detonics. I'll try the Classic Spirit instead then. Would you suggest a couple of coats of spray on laquer after the Classic Spirit stain? It looks like there is a laquer finish on it now. Maybe sort of a satin sheen to it.

Top Bottom