Winchester 94, FUBAR'd, caliber conversion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    IMG_20140121_184533_520.jpg

Sorry if the pic doesn't format correctly, posting from my tablet.

Someone dropped this off at my shop yesterday. Trying to figure out what to do with somebodies squib gun. It's chambered in .375 Win and is top eject. What's the possibility of converting this to .44Mag? Action serms good, everything fuctions as it should with no binding. Doesn't look like any damage occured anywhere else in the firearm.

What would you do with this?

Last edited:

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    The BigBore 94 has a beefier frame with a thicker receiver around the locking bolts. They also came with far better finish and real cut checkering, I've owned a few. They are the best of the 94 action. Making it a 44 mag would be like putting a 22 hornet into a Magnum Mauser action. 375 is a powerful and under rated cartridge, 220gr bullet at 2200fps from a light framed lever action.

But if you wanted to do a conversion, the 307 WCF would be a great option now that you can get the polymer tip bullets from Hornady. 30 WCF AI would be a interesting gun too, 219 zipper AI could be fun.

I could think of a lot of options.

YHJ

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    I'm not opposed to other calibers. How about something IN deer legal? Something .475 Turnbull-ish?

Reason I was thinking 44Mag is I'm pretty sure I know who actually owns this. Once he sees it functional again, he'll probably try to pay me for the parts and take it home. I don't mind this as he's a nice older gent and has always treated me well. I'm sure he would rather just buy ammo though. Just thinking out loud.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had a first yr BB94 in .307.
    Worst shooting rifle I ever owned.
    Nice wood and killer blue job, checkering done great (chewed on ya a little).
    Buddy thought he could reload and help it, bought it, tried a lot of things, nothing worked so he sold it.

Why not rebarrel it in .356 Win?

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    If there's enough room to stay legal, I'd trim it back to just behind the damage and recrown it. Have me a .375 carbine! I've always thought a lot of that cartridge and would probably stay with it, even if I had to replace the barrel altogether.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    I also considered shortening it... There is enough length to do it, barely. I would probably chop it at 16.25" and back bore it another 1/2". Cut a new dovetail slot, get a new mag tube and barrel band. It's a real interesting and cost effective idea.

maybe just bend the forks out and run it as is...

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I dont see any issue with a conversion to 44. I see a lot of other ideas for caliber here. If youre willing to change calibers, why not just replace the barrel and stick with the current caliber?

Top Bottom