• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Ok. I have wanted one of these for a long time. I am also not rich so, I would have to sell 3 or 4 guns to pick one of these up.

I have a good deal of experience with 1911's. Mainly Colt and Springfield. My current favorite is my Springfield TRP.

Have any of you had experience with Wilson pistols? Will finally stepping up to buy one be one of the best decisions I've ever made, or will I be kicking myself for getting rid of the other guns?

Thanks.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    They are good stuff for sure, but IMO they are not better than other, less expensive options. I would pick Les Baer or Rock River over Wilson and those can be had for around $2000. For the money you spend on Wilson, you can have a truly custom gun built with all the parts you select by a premier gunsmith, EGW, Bedell, Neil Keller, Ray Saltzman, Jim Anglin, and many others. Not knocking Wilson, but Id suggest you do a LOT of research before you drop that much coin. Ive spent big money on guns before and will again, but the research on the front side if key.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Got mine (CQB) in a trade and love it.

Great thing about used Wilson's, they are covered forever no matter who owns it.

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I've got a couple of them, both 5" Government Models though...I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with it; they are very, very well 'smithed pistols. I think in the semi-custom range (Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, etc.) they are the most nicely finished (and they all are superb functioning), but everyone is going to have their own opinions and most likely prefer whatever it is they plopped down their coin for. You really have to probably ask yourself whether it's worth it to have one gun that is approaching the pinnacle of 1911 pattern pistol design, or several pistols that are in and of themselves very, very good (TRP, Colt). I think they are worth it, but I also know that for me I "wanted" them, I didn't "need" them - I can't outshoot the TRP, let alone wring that last bit of accuracy out of my Wilsons. I bought mine used, and one very nice perk to buying a Wilson is that they will repair or replace any non-cosmetic issue with the gun under warranty for as long as the gun is in circulation, no matter who originally bought it.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I would most likely be looking to pick up an used 4". I carry my TRP as my duty and my off duty carry gun now. I am switching to an Operator for my duty gun, wanna try the light on the gun for a little bit and am looking for a 4" off duty carry gun. Looking at Colt's Commander and the Springfield Champion, and the Kimber Pro series, by the time I am done getting them the way I want them, I am going to be just shy of shelling out the coin I would on a Wilson.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I have been kicking this around for a long time, too. But I can't bring myself to sell some of my others that I really like. So I have decided on a Les Baer and have just been throwing a little money back each week.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I have been kicking this around for a long time, too. But I can't bring myself to sell some of my others that I really like. So I have decided on a Les Baer and have just been throwing a little money back each week.

Let me know how you like that. A lot of guys swear by his stuff and would prefer it over a Wilson...

MAHamlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    I LOVE my CQB Compact. I just got it back from Wilson after having a few upgrades done to it. It has never done me wrong and is beautiful to boot.

As Hickman said, the wonderful thing about a Wilson is that if you pick it up on the used market it will still carry its lifetime warranty with it. Not many manufacturers are willing to be so bold anymore. It doesn't matter who ordered it or how long ago it was, if something goes wrong, they'll fix it.

Here's some pictures:
    Leftsidebest.jpg

Rightside.jpg

Topofslide.jpg

Rearofslide.jpg

Goldbead.jpg

f'nstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    I don't think to many people would question the quality of a wilson combat pistol I hope to have one or two myself oneday. You can't go wrong with a 1911 from wilson

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Let me know how you like that. A lot of guys swear by his stuff and would prefer it over a Wilson...

Will do. I have been looking at Les Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk, and Ed Brown for a while. I haven't shot any of them, and only been able to fondle a few. But it seemed like everything I read said that the Baers were the best bang for the buck. Maybe not the finish that the others have, but on a par with accuracy and quality. And you can find a Baer for $1500-$1700 versus $2000+ for the others. I think I am going to pick up a Thunder Ranch in another couple of months.

f'nstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    any custom 1911 you get from one of the places mentioned above are great and a great investment. It is all personal preference, me personally i would want a wilson. There stuff is good and there is a wilson dealer about 40 miles from my front door.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Just traded for a Wilson Carry Comp and love it.. Quality second to NONE. I don't think you can go wrong on with a Wilson Combat pistol. At one point I was sure that a Nighthawk T3 was the ultimate 1911 but the Wilson Carry Comp has changed my mind. The quality on a Nighthawk is VERY good but IMHO the fit and finish on the Wilson is a notch above.
    I've dressed mine up a little with Stainless slide stop and safety also a scalloped mainspring housing with extended mag well. The officers frame feels just perfect to me with the extended mag well. My farsighted eyes have trouble focusing on the front sight but not on the target so the CT laser has almost become a "must" for my carry pistol.
    I'm not sure eloquent is the right word to use for a 1911 but it's the best description I can come up with. John Browning was without a doubt a genius. To be able to design such an impressive piece of equipment 100 years ago still seems beyond belief. I DO enjoy working with 1911s. :)
    DressedCarryComp.jpg

Pic from first trip to the range

CarryCompfixed.jpg

Last edited:

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I own several 1911's from various manufactures along with a Baer Thunder Ranch Special, an Ed Brown Special Forces, and now two Wilsons. One is their top of the line Supergrade and the other one is an Ultralight Carry Compact.

All are great guns, extremely accurate and 100% dependable. Like others have said the Bare is the best bang for the buck, it is the workhorse. The fit and finish is not as good as the Brown or Wilson but still a good gun. The Brown has a better finish and has a better fit over the Baer. The Wilson is the tops in fit, finish, and feel (if there is a way to measure feel). Out of the three Wilson has the best customer service from everything I have read from people who had actual experience with issues and not just hearsay.

All of these guns are great but if I had to pick one it would be the Wilson.
    Not saying I will never own a different brand but I sure like my Wilsons.

boblade

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    Well let me start off by saying that I own a Ed Brown Built Colt,and a Wilson Built Colt and a 22 Cal High Standard Citation Built by Jim Clark,Now the 3 Gun's I have mentioned where Built 20 Years ago before everbody started to buy the NEW Wilson's,and Brown,Gun's and I have to say the 3 I have mentioned will Cut the Black with a super group ever time I take them out I have NO round Count,but I can say it is alot over 20 years and the Gun's still Preform as good today as they did when I first got them,I just take them to the Range shoot tell I run out of Ammo go home and Clean them put them up untill next time and I have never!!!! had a Problem with any of them.
    I have had several guy's at the Range try to Buy them but,I just can't bring myself to sell them and I have been offered alot of money for them.
    But I just know that if I want to continue to shoot,I can't find anything better than what I have.
    So I guess what I am telling you is a HAND Built weapon will Out Last,Out Shoot,any Production gun sold today,and you will always be able to recoup 80% of your Money should it come down to selling.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I met Bill Wilson at a 1911 class in August...he brought several guns for us to test fire.....really special IMHO

I ordered a CQB Elite....32 week minimum build time....I am about half way there to delivery.

If you can get your hands on one do it:):

Top Bottom