Not open for further replies.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Let? The pressure to keep school shut down (where they are) is coming from the teachers' own union. Teachers should turn their ire to their own "representation".
    Stopping their pay would turn it around. Pay people to stay home and most want to stay home.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Former Trump Warp Speed admiral was on Fox this morning talking about the new J&J vaccine. The advantages are that it's one shot and based upon long existing technology.

He said something really interesting that I haven't been able to look up yet. It has lower "effectiveness" in preventing symptomatic infection (60-70%) versus the Pfizer/Moderna (~94-95%)...

BUT, and this might be a big BUT... in the trials it was 100% effective in preventing severe cases leading to hospitalization or death.

Anyone looked at this? I will when I have time, but likely won't be til the end of the week. That's a claim I'd like to see verified.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not doing it. If the narrative were mostly truth it would be different especially given that I am in poor health and at high risk if it weren't 95% fiction which I am satisfied is the case.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Former Trump Warp Speed admiral was on Fox this morning talking about the new J&J vaccine. The advantages are that it's one shot and based upon long existing technology.

He said something really interesting that I haven't been able to look up yet. It has lower "effectiveness" in preventing symptomatic infection (60-70%) versus the Pfizer/Moderna (~94-95%)...

BUT, and this might be a big BUT... in the trials it was 100% effective in preventing severe cases leading to hospitalization or death.

Anyone looked at this? I will when I have time, but likely won't be til the end of the week. That's a claim I'd like to see verified.
    I am less familiar with Pfizer and Moderna, but the Novavax vaccine (the one I am in the study for) has, likewise, been 100% effective in preventing serious illness including 100% effective in preventing illness that requires hospitalization, including the South African and U.K. variants.

I believe that Pfizer and Moderna likely will as well, but I only recall reading physicians thoughts on that rather than study results.

Like I have said elsewhere, even with variants, it seems within reach to turn this into "just another flu" even if it continues to circulate.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ... BUT, and this might be a big BUT... in the trials it was 100% effective in preventing severe cases leading to hospitalization or death.

I've seen the same mentioned about the Oxford/AstraZenica, the Pfizer and the Moderna vaccines. They may not be 100% effective at preventing you from getting Covid but they will keep you out of the hospital.

I'm always skeptical when I see 100% effective because so few things are. With these vaccines we have some real life examples, Israel, the UK and now the US have a few months of history with these vaccines in tens of millions of "test subjects" and the evidence does support proof that these do keep you out of the hospital and far more often than not, provide immunity.

The rare cases where people do get covid after the vaccine dose generally are pretty well documented that they were exposed very shortly after receiving the vaccine and its known, with all vaccines, that they take 2-3 weeks to build immunity in your body.

Here is a 20 minute interview with the JohnsHopkins professor who is predicting the pandemic will be essentially over by the end of April. He says its a combination of rapid deployment of the vaccine and recovered Covid patients that will get us to herd immunity before most people realize we are there. He is a modest critic of Dr Fauci but pro-vaccine. Worth you time to listen to as he talks about the various vaccines available in the US

FWIW, I'm high risk, got my 2nd Moderna shot 1 week ago today, plan to resume a normal life later this week. Yes I will wear a mask as required, but I'm not convinced recovered or immunized people actually need to. But as long as the state says I need it to shop at a store I will wear it.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    The average efficacy of the seasonal influenza vaccine at preventing symptomatic disease over the last decade has been estimated at less than 50%...and it isn’t fully effective at preventing hospitalization.

66-72% efficacy at preventing symptomatic disease is really quite good.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When we hear "100% effective to prevent hospitalizations", we should see that more as "extremely effective". In a study, (Novavax for instance), with 15,000 people in the U.K. and about 4,400, 56 people in the U.K. got symptomatic COVID and 15 in South Africa. Of those 71 people (total), none required hospitalization, so that 100%...so far.

Is it possible that a vaccinated person could get COVID severely enough to require hospitalization or even die from it? Sure, but it will likely be a hyper-miniscule number.

Like I said, it can be made into "just another flu", possibly even less prominent with wider vaccination. More vaccination, less variants.

One more thing on the J & J vaccine- I see it as important to remote areas and the 3rd world, but in the developed world, there are more effective choices...but any vaccine will slow the spread.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Why do you believe that to be so?
    1. With stable death rates over several years, it is evident that however you slice it, allowing for a small number of exceptions, everyone who died was going to die anyway or else we are missing a whole bunch of dead people.

2. Everyone I know personally who had it found it unpleasant but still a nuisance-class ailment and not dangerous per se.

3. It's allegedly being the Black Plague 2.0 is inconsistent with requiring testing to determine that a person is infected. Generally, when I am sick I am well aware of it without needing someone else to tell me.

Considering these points I am led to the conclusion that the pandemic is 95% hype.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I heartily agree that there is a tremendous amount of hype.

However, I also want this thing to end. Wishing that politicians will come around to our way of thinking is a fool's errand. There must be a material change in circumstances to allow the decision makers to reverse course. The circumstance that I can see that will allow that is radically reduced spread and death, regardless of whether another 2 years with grandma is important to others or not. With the vaccines, this material change in circumstances is within reach.

So, we can do nothing and complain that the politicians are overreacting, corrupt and power hungry (when has this not been the case), or do something that has a chance of working.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The average efficacy of the seasonal influenza vaccine at preventing symptomatic disease over the last decade has been estimated at less than 50%...and it isn’t fully effective at preventing hospitalization.

66-72% efficacy at preventing symptomatic disease is really quite good.
    But you understand why comparing a flu vaccine to these covid vaccines is not particularly reasonable.

The flu vaccine production is a guess on which strain will migrate, as the dominant seasonal flu, up from the southern hemisphere to the northern hemisphere as they are in summer while we are in winter.

The covid vaccines were specifically designed to combat this specific virus. It should be far more effective than a flu vaccine that may well be aimed at a strain of the flu that didn't actually migrate up as there are many different strains.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    2. Everyone I know personally who had it found it unpleasant but still a nuisance-class ailment and not dangerous per se.
    So you everyone?

Because I know people who had it and it was either unpleasant or it was nothing, and that does accurately represent most cases of Covid.

But I also know people who had it and died. And I also know people who had it and have long term lingering effects.

We can both agree on one point, most of the pandemic IS hype. But it is also a real disease.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    But you understand why comparing a flu vaccine to these covid vaccines is not particularly reasonable.
    Absolutely!

My point is that we have "imperfect" vaccines and have had them for a number of years.

The Janssen single-dose COVID vaccine is VERY good - its just the the mRNA vaccines knocked it out of the park in a way medical scientists never quite expected - and people should not feel as though the Janssen shot is somehow lacking.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So you everyone?

Because I know people who had it and it was either unpleasant or it was nothing, and that does accurately represent most cases of Covid.

But I also know people who had it and died. And I also know people who had it and have long term lingering effects.

We can both agree on one point, most of the pandemic IS hype. But it is also a real disease.
    1. I never said it wasn't real. I simply said it doesn't live up to anything near the hype.

2. I absolutely will make my decisions relying on personal observation above talking heads telling me to be afraid.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    1. I never said it wasn't real. I simply said it doesn't live up to anything near the hype.

2. I absolutely will make my decisions relying on personal observation above talking heads telling me to be afraid.
    And we agree on Point #1

But on Point #2 the world would be better off filtering out the political BS and actually looking at the real science. Not the media fed junk science. Not the politically led power grab version of science.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    And we agree on Point #1

But on Point #2 the world would be better off filtering out the political BS and actually looking at the real science. Not the media fed junk science. Not the politically led power grab version of science.
    Exactly. In the absence of a lot of dead people its just like what the old lady in the old Wendy's commercials said: "Where's the beef?"

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Exactly. In the absence of a lot of dead people its just like what the old lady in the old Wendy's commercials said: "Where's the beef?"
    Good luck to you, but you’re definitely rolling the dice. My neighbor has a couple of friends who got the disease and recovered, but both have experienced post-recovery weakness and exhaustion symptoms for several months now. One can barely walk from one end of his house to the other without having to rest and neither are geriatrics. That can really crimp one’s lifestyle!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom