Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I’m 37 which statistically is VERY low risk, and got vax’d the first day I could.

Not because I was scared of COVID (I wasn’t), and not because I’m a sheep...but because being sick *sucks* and a safe/effective vaccine was available to prevent me from getting sick.

Again - that was MY choice and if somebody else evaluates differently and decides not to that’s totally fine with and does not impact ME.
    It would be swell if the world worked this way. Instead people are socially pressured one way or the other, but mostly the pressure comes from the compliance side of it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Depending on age. If I were young I’d not even consider taking the vaccine. But older people it becomes a more even proposition. And as a more at risk person, I’ll get the vaccine. Unless those suppressed treatments work. In that case **** the headaches.
    Exactly. My daughter and her husband got Covid-19 and my SIL said it was like a bad cold for about 3 days. My daughter had a little worse time but still not to bad. She said it was like the flu for about 3 days they both got it and recovered within 3 days. Now the weird part my 3 grandchildren was in the same house with them. They never got it. Ages 9 11 18.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Anyone else find it ironic that hardcore republicans and conservatives are now shouting “My Body my choice”
    :stickpoke:
    /s
    Most of that is to just point out the pro-abortion camps hypocrisy, in that it really is just one body in one scenario but it’s two lives in another, but they want to pretend it’s one.

Commence the “me getting vaxed is for the children and old people” argument.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Exactly. My daughter and her husband got Covid-19 and my SIL said it was like a bad cold for about 3 days. My daughter had a little worse time but still not to bad. She said it was like the flu for about 3 days they both got it and recovered within 3 days. Now the weird part my 3 grandchildren was in the same house with them. They never got it. Ages 9 11 18.
    It's mostly a matter of viral load and exposure to it. Were they infected but asymptomatic? Or did they not get exposed to the same viral load as everyone else and thus did not actually get infected with enough virus to cause symptoms?

I am leaning towards the idea that there was never really such a thing as asymptomatic infections. I think early on the cycles were too high on the tests and so they showed positives, but there wasn't actually enough virus to do anything.

I kinda think the world fell victim to the all or nothing fallacy, and that allowed all kinds of fears to sweep them. I think the other side did too on their end. They just happened to be more correct than the fearful masses.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I’m 37 which statistically is VERY low risk, and got vax’d the first day I could.

Not because I was scared of COVID (I wasn’t), and not because I’m a sheep...but because being sick *sucks* and a safe/effective vaccine was available to prevent me from getting sick.

Again - that was MY choice and if somebody else evaluates differently and decides not to that’s totally fine with and does not impact ME.

I am thrilled we live in a place where (I hope we continue) to be able to make these types of decisions ourselves.

Let's break this down.

"Not because I was scared of COVID (I wasn’t)... but because being sick *sucks*".

What did you see with your own eyes that led you to believe you would be sick?

"and not because I’m a sheep" "...and a safe/effective vaccine was available to prevent me from getting sick"

What is a sheep? A docile creature that can be led by both sheepdogs and wolves. What led you to believe what you to believe about the vaccine? What did you see personally, not delivered by the government, media, and pharmaceutical companies, that have all been caught lying to the public many times, that made your decision?

This is what I process in my mind, what have I seen that would lead me to believe I need a vaccine? To date for me, nothing. I have seen that good hygiene needed to be stepped up during the high transmission phase and worked to boost my immune system and still believe I had it, was down a few days but nothing to cause me to want to take a vaccine for. Likewise there have been few cases, in my sphere of life, where outcomes were unexpected.

I have not seen with my own eyes anywhere near the hype we were sold, have you?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Why is it my vaccine? Who am I, Jonas Salk?

AFAIK from reports, they seem to work well on variants.

Why would you not think so? Any evidence or just bias?
    You accepted it into your body, therefore its yours.

Why do you expect a vaccine to evolve but believe natural antibodies will not?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Anyone else find it ironic that hardcore republicans and conservatives are now shouting “My Body my choice”
    :stickpoke:
    /s
    Most of that is to just point out the pro-abortion camps hypocrisy, in that it really is just one body in one scenario but it’s two lives in another, but they want to pretend it’s one.

Commence the “me getting vaxed is for the children and old people” argument.

Oh, jeez we could open a YUGE Trumpain sized can-o-wormz. But the situation isn't exactly the same.

On the one hand is the idea that a woman has a right to do with her body what she pleases. The morality of that hangs on the objective truth of whether or not another person also has an existential stake in that decision. The pro life side insists that there is. The pro-abortion side insists that there is not.

With the covid vaccine, the skeptics say they have a right to do with their body as they please. The morality of that hangs on the objective truth of whether or not other people have an existential stake in that decision to a significant degree with no other remedy. The people wanting to force other people to make the decision they want believe that it's a dire existential threat to everyone. The people who think it should be a free choice think it's not.

So one can have a "pro-choice" opinion on one side, and not on the other and not be a hypocrite, because in both subjects, belief drives the side one takes.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I"m starting to think this thread is basically for the non-vaxers to virtue signal their dislike of the Covid vaccines and spread misinformation about it.
    Really? I suppose you believe ****ing liars like Fauci and the CDC whose lies have repetitively been exposed?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Oh, jeez we could open a YUGE Trumpain sized can-o-wormz. But the situation isn't exactly the same.

On the one hand is the idea that a woman has a right to do with her body what she pleases. The morality of that hangs on the objective truth of whether or not another person also has an existential stake in that decision. The pro life side insists that there is. The pro-abortion side insists that there is not.

With the covid vaccine, the skeptics say they have a right to do with their body as they please. The morality of that hangs on the objective truth of whether or not other people have an existential stake in that decision to a significant degree with no other remedy. The people wanting to force other people to make the decision they want believe that it's a dire existential threat to everyone. The people who think it should be a free choice think it's not.

So one can have a "pro-choice" opinion on one side, and not on the other and not be a hypocrite, because in both subjects, belief drives the side one takes.
    If Karen really wants to push an experimental vaccine that comes with no legal remedy for future harm on me, she can go butt**** herself on a fence post.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I am thrilled we live in a place where (I hope we continue) to be able to make these types of decisions ourselves.

Let's break this down.

"Not because I was scared of COVID (I wasn’t)... but because being sick *sucks*".

What did you see with your own eyes that led you to believe you would be sick?

"and not because I’m a sheep" "...and a safe/effective vaccine was available to prevent me from getting sick"

What is a sheep? A docile creature that can be led by both sheepdogs and wolves. What led you to believe what you to believe about the vaccine? What did you see personally, not delivered by the government, media, and pharmaceutical companies, that have all been caught lying to the public many times, that made your decision?

This is what I process in my mind, what have I seen that would lead me to believe I need a vaccine? To date for me, nothing. I have seen that good hygiene needed to be stepped up during the high transmission phase and worked to boost my immune system and still believe I had it, was down a few days but nothing to cause me to want to take a vaccine for. Likewise there have been few cases, in my sphere of life, where outcomes were unexpected.

I have not seen with my own eyes anywhere near the hype we were sold, have you?
    Maybe I'm misreading, I probably am. But I kinda get the feeling you're trying to say that he was afraid and that he is sheep.

I think a lot of people, especially if they know people who died from covid or were very sick, have made the decision to be vaccinated. It's perfectly reasonable to base it on experience. And that's not from fear, because that implies something irrational. And it's not from being a sheep, because that implies something irrational. It's from an internal cost/benefit analysis of the information available. And even if the information is inaccurate, that still does not make one afraid or sheep.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The morality of that hangs on the objective truth of whether or not other people have an existential stake in that decision to a significant degree with no other remedy
    We could argue that with birth rates in the US at below replacement levels that all of Us have an existential stake in making sure all potential babies go to full term. Without population replacement this whole house of cards comes crumbling down.

it’s an interesting mental exercise

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If Karen really wants to push an experimental vaccine that comes with no legal remedy for future harm on me, she can go butt**** herself on a fence post.
    I called it experimental because of the state it was in. But now the manufacturers are preparing the applications for full FDA approvals. So they pretty much have the data they're going to use. I don't think at this point it's "experimental", per se. But it still doesn't have full FDA approval and that means a lot more than what the rabidly pro vaccine people are pushing.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    We could argue that with birth rates in the US at below replacement levels that all of Us have an existential stake in making sure all potential babies go to full term. Without population replacement this whole house of cards comes crumbling down.

What about the stake held by those being exterminated ?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I called it experimental because of the state it was in. But now the manufacturers are preparing the applications for full FDA approvals. So they pretty much have the data they're going to use. I don't think at this point it's "experimental", per se. But it still doesn't have full FDA approval and that means a lot more than what the rabidly pro vaccine people are pushing.
    I would specify that in my view full FDA approval of anything is less than convincing as evidenced by the number of approved meds that are mired in lawsuits a few years after they are introduced. Consequently, anything with even less, coupled with specific exemption from civil liability is a truly terrifying thought.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Full approvals will come easily. Too much money invested and having to admit the vaccines are harmful is not going to happen.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

To the extent necessary to make it a moral issue? It's not that I'm saying that there's no such thing as objective morality. There is. It's generally rooted in principles that seek to avoid harm.

For example, and I may be getting the specific details wrong, but the idea holds true even if I repeat it inaccurately. Many people from India do not wipe their ass with the same hand they eat with. Doesn't matter if it's washed afterwards. It's wrong to do that. That specific moral is subjective. We think nothing of it because we were taught to wash our hands. But there is an objective principle underlying it that applies objectively. We know **** contains harmful bacteria and that being unsanitary puts oneself and others at risk of disease from handling things with ****** hands.

So to make the vaccine thing a moral issue, one must believe that the risk of spreading the disease to others puts people in jeopardy of harm, sufficient to supersede the right to do with one's body what they choose?

I think there is a place on the spectrum where it is. I also do not believe that we have come anywhere near that line with Covid. Give what we know now, masks should never have been a moral issue. People believed nonsense. And even with the vaccine, given that there is a strong likelihood that there are efficacious treatments for covid that it should be a simple matter of choice.

If you're worried you might get covid, go get the vaccine. If you think you'd rather take your chances getting the disease and relying on the treatments, then do that. It should really be a choice.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom