• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade1978

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Porter
    Do you think that the good ol' USA will ever get to the point where our "Carry Permits" are honored in the same way as our Driver's Licences? If I am licensed to drive in IN, then I can drive in CA, or IL, or even DC. A good case could be made as to how much more deadly a vehicle is than a handgun. It might require everyone to get the kind of training that you have to have to get a Driver's License, but I don't know. Did states originally have disagreements about honoring each others Drivers Licenses?

Just curious. :dunno:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    in all 50? i doubt it. it might get to be that way in maybe 47 if we get lucky. even Iowa is finally acknowledging other states' permit as of Jan 1.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'd rather get to the point where carry permits are not a requirement to carry anywhere in the US.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Do you think that the good ol' USA will ever get to the point where our "Carry Permits" are honored in the same way as our Driver's Licences? If I am licensed to drive in IN, then I can drive in CA, or IL, or even DC. A good case could be made as to how much more deadly a vehicle is than a handgun. It might require everyone to get the kind of training that you have to have to get a Driver's License, but I don't know. Did states originally have disagreements about honoring each others Drivers Licenses?

Just curious. :dunno:

Might as well hand out licenses like candy, then! We all know how effect those tests are.... I have always thought it funny that a PRIVILEGE (driving) is honored across the board, but a RIGHT (firearms) is denied by default.

The states that do have a photo ID and test/training are already accepted pretty widely (Florida and Utah). I have supported moving Indiana to this type of system with one addition: no permit necessary for residents to carry in-state. We already accept everyone else's permits anyway.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, it will take time but one day this will happen.

The North Carolina case will take a couple of years to get to the Supreme Court, from there it will take more time to go from intrastate to interstate.

Federal legislation would be quicker (just link it to highway money), but I do not foresee that possibility until 2013.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I hear there is a bill going into effect for a national carry permit 1 month after they make gun ownership illegal.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I think it will, but I'd rather see it happen more slowly on a state by state basis than by federal edict. Same result, but federal powers can swing both ways and ought to make everyone uneasy.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Doubt it, but it would be nice. We should not even have to have a license. As long as we pass the NIC check, then we should be able to carry. In any state, in any manner we choose.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The Federal Government should have absolutely nothing to do with this movement, unless th Supreme Court decides to start striking down license requirements as infringements on the 2nd Amendment.

And hell no on the prospect of required training. More hoops to jump through equals more gun control. Stating the obvious here.

Last edited:

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Getting the federal government to require states to honor other states' licenses is a horrible idea. The reason: it won't be a blanket statement of, "You have to honor everyone else's permits/licenses no matter what." It will be, "A state must honor another state's license if that license is issued according to the following standards: blah blah blah" Basically this is relegating carry licenses to a federal level. And THAT is a horrible idea.

I'd much prefer they stick to the current supreme court trend of saying states can't restrict citizens by outlawing XYZ with respect to firearms.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    zeb, depends on how the legislation is written. However, your concerns were not at issue in previous proposed federal legislation by Rep. Stearns who has introduced such legislation every year since 1995.

NRA-ILA :: The National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill

H.R. 197, introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns’ (R-Fla.) and Rick Boucher (D-Va.), would allow any person with a valid concealed firearm carrying permit or license, issued by a state, to carry a concealed firearm in any state, as follows: In states that issue concealed firearm permits, a state’s laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders. In states that do not issue carry permits, a federal "bright-line" standard would permit carrying in places other than police stations; courthouses; public polling places; meetings of state, county, or municipal governing bodies; schools; passenger areas of airports; and certain other locations. The bill applies to D.C., Puerto Rico and U.S. territories. It would not create a federal licensing system; it would require the states to recognize each others’ carry permits, just as they recognize drivers’ licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards.

I understand your concern and I think it is something that we must be on guard against, however there is absolutely nothing wrong with using federal legislation to advance civil rights. In fact, the Constitution explicit permits this.:)

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Agreed that it needs to happen, but I don't think it ever will.

Vert, why such a Gloomy Gus?

We have had decisive victory after decisive victory. November looks very positive. Why such the Sad Panda?:dunno:

Sad-Panda-Web.jpg

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    zeb, depends on how the legislation is written. However, your concerns were not at issue in previous proposed federal legislation by Rep. Stearns who has introduced such legislation every year since 1995.

NRA-ILA :: The National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill

H.R. 197, introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns’ (R-Fla.) and Rick Boucher (D-Va.), would allow any person with a valid concealed firearm carrying permit or license, issued by a state, to carry a concealed firearm in any state, as follows: In states that issue concealed firearm permits, a state’s laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders. In states that do not issue carry permits, a federal "bright-line" standard would permit carrying in places other than police stations; courthouses; public polling places; meetings of state, county, or municipal governing bodies; schools; passenger areas of airports; and certain other locations. The bill applies to D.C., Puerto Rico and U.S. territories. It would not create a federal licensing system; it would require the states to recognize each others’ carry permits, just as they recognize drivers’ licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards.

I understand your concern and I think it is something that we must be on guard against, however there is absolutely nothing wrong with using federal legislation to advance civil rights. In fact, the Constitution explicit permits this.:)

But once something gets in the hand of the Fed, it never comes back... and they have complete control of it from that point on. All it takes is one incident of a person from state A which has minimal rules for a carry permit to kill a person in state B with extremely strict permit requirements and you now have the federal government pressured to "standardize" the licensing procedure. Add in a traffic stop or something before the said incident where person from state A was free to go because they had the out-of-state permit and we're doomed.

Top Bottom