Will either of these optics do for a 338 win mag?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • exphys2010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    Hey all, I recently purchased a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 338 win mag. Currently I own a Bushnell Trophy 3-9X40 and a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40. I have the Bushnell on my AR and the Nikon on my .30-06, but I have an extra scope laying around (centerpoint) that isnt as good of quality that I will probably just stick on my AR since it has the lowest recoil. Which of these two scopes, if either, do you think would be better to put on my new 338? The Nikon cost me a little more, but the Bushnell seems to be just as sturdy. I would prefer not to buy a new scope, but if neither of these will hold up to the recoil then I may just have to. Also, I have a 500 S&W magnum revolver that I am wanting to put a handgun scope on. Does anyone have any recommendations on an optic that could withstand the recoil but not break the bank? Thanks in advance for any help!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I highly doubt any of the above would last on a 338 over 100 rds. Of all the options I would guesss the nikon to have the best chance. You mise well reserve yourself to the fact that a new scope is in your future. I would probably throw the center point on there and let it break instid of messing up your nikon as its your best scope. The thing is with the price of 338 ammo your better off just to wait and buy a decent scope once vs waste ammo sighting in, waste ammo while you think your scope is broke, wast ammo to confirm your sccope is broke, and then start from scratch 200 rds (250 bucks?) in the hole

exphys2010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    42769vette, thanks for the info. What type of scope would you recommend that I look into purchasing? I could probably fork up around 250 right now, which I know could get me a lower end Leupold or a Bushnell Elite. Would either of these work?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    42769vette, thanks for the info. What type of scope would you recommend that I look into purchasing? I could probably fork up around 250 right now, which I know could get me a lower end Leupold or a Bushnell Elite. Would either of these work?

There is no way to be certain without trying it, I would not think a lower end leupold would do it, a lower end elite might. With the price range your looking at I would focus on a scopes warranty that way if it does break your not out a scope. Leupolds warranty is worthless, bushnells would probably cover it.

I would scrape up 299 and go with this scope.
    Vortex Optics - Viper 3-9x40 Dead-Hold BDC

There is no reason It should not hold the recoil of a 338. I know the warranty will cover it because I will personally hand you one out of my inventory if It doesnt, or you can mail it to wisconsin on their dime and they will mail you a new one.

If you cant scrape up the extra 50 bucks I would look at this for 199 for the same reasons
    Vortex Optics - Diamondback 4-12x40 Dead-Hold BDC

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    There is no way to be certain without trying it, I would not think a lower end leupold would do it, a lower end elite might. With the price range your looking at I would focus on a scopes warranty that way if it does break your not out a scope. Leupolds warranty is worthless, bushnells would probably cover it.

Christ, here we go again.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Christ, here we go again.

Yep, some folks like to jump on a newbie for asking the same questions that have already been covered. I personally dont see the point in that. If you dont like to talk about guns (somtimes covering the same topics again) why are you on a gun forum? Talking about what will and will not work, aswell is answering questions is what we do here. So there is a good chance We will go "here" in a thread next month, and thats just fine

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The thing is with the price of 338 ammo your better off just to wait and buy a decent scope once vs waste ammo sighting in, waste ammo while you think your scope is broke, wast ammo to confirm your sccope is broke, and then start from scratch 200 rds (250 bucks?) in the hole

+10 for what he said.

I went through the process with my .338 Lapua and was so frustrated that I almost gave up on that rifle. Brand new scopes would be OK for 20-30 shots and then start coming apart internally or losing their abilty to return to zero. It is frustrating when you have to pull the scope, send it in, wait a month to get it back so you can put it back on and then start the sight in process all over.

I ended up putting NightForce scopes on all 3 of my bench rifles and have never had any problems. The NightForce is way out of your price range or budget, but 42769vette can recommend and provide options that will work for you.

BTW, when I was waiting for one of my failed scopes to come back, I mounted a 3x9 Nikon Buckmaster on the .338 and put about 50 rounds through it. It held up just fine, but the turrets, reticle and tracking didn't meet my needs for that rifle. If you have a Nikon to try, give it a chance and see what happens, but don't get frustrated if it starts to come apart.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A good rule of thumb for rifle optics:

Be prepared to spend as much on the optic as you do the rifle.

Chances are that you've already spent $625 + sales tax on the rifle...

On top of $2.25 - $2.50 a pop for GOOD ammo (price much lower if you reload, I'm sure)

Trying to get away with the least expensive optics to go on an investment like the above, while may seem wallet-friendly, is counter productive.

Good optics = buy once, cry once.

And don't forget GOOD scope rings. They can make all the difference.

-J-

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Yep, some folks like to jump on a newbie for asking the same questions that have already been covered.

So there is a good chance We will go "here" in a thread next month, and thats just fine

My comments were entirely directed at your bashing of Leupold.

And I suspect you are correct in that you will go there again soon.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    A Nikon is just fine. I own a Nikon and a Vortex Viper. Both scopes have performed flawlessly and have great glass. I'm starting to have reservations about Vortex because of the quality of their SPARC. It is a piece of junk and thank god I can return it. I have only had it a year and is now having problems without it even being ran hard. Disappointing to say the least. Just my pennies.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    A Nikon is just fine. I own a Nikon and a Vortex Viper. Both scopes have performed flawlessly and have great glass. I'm starting to have reservations about Vortex because of the quality of their SPARC. It is a piece of junk and thank god I can return it. I have only had it a year and is now having problems without it even being ran hard. Disappointing to say the least. Just my pennies.

Have you gone threw their warranty process yet? Anything can fail, I had to send a 1700 dollar Nightforce back once. What made Nightforce earn my respect is the way they delt with the issue.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Have you gone threw their warranty process yet? Anything can fail, I had to send a 1700 dollar Nightforce back once. What made Nightforce earn my respect is the way they delt with the issue.

No, not yet. Thought about bringing it to you since you said you take these in if there is a problem. Good thing it isn't for my patrol rifle that I'm finishing up. I think honestly I'm just going to invest in an Aimpoint or Eotech. I never thought I would say that either. I like both my Strikefires though. The issue is with the NV/On/Off/Brightness module. It won't power down or change brightness.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    No, not yet. Thought about bringing it to you since you said you take these in if there is a problem. Good thing it isn't for my patrol rifle that I'm finishing up. I think honestly I'm just going to invest in an Aimpoint or Eotech. I never thought I would say that either. I like both my Strikefires though. The issue is with the NV/On/Off/Brightness module. It won't power down or change brightness.

Ill take it back (assuming it was bought threw me before somone asks) or call Vortex and they will send you a shipping reciept. You ship to them on their dime and they ship you a new one on their dime.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I still want to know what's wrong with Leupold's warranty.

They dont warranty the low end scopes the same as the high end scopes is the short story. I was told by leupold when I tried to send a vxIII back because it did not preform in low light like a simons whitetail classic (same obj, leupold had lower zoom) that "this product meets our standards" Leupolds price range demands standards higher than simmons

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I think either will do fine. I bought my .338 win mag. last summer and it came with a Bushnell Trophy installed. I replaced it with a Leupold VX1 because I couldn't sight it in. It ended up that the rings were loose. I think either one will be fine. I'd probably choose the Nikon over the Bushnell. I will only buy one with a Lifetime Warranty from now on after an issue with Tasco Binoculars. Both of the ones you mentioned I'm pretty sure have such a warranty. :twocents:

Top Bottom