• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So if you wanted to add Wi-Fi to your homestead pastures what might your options be? The main application would be for security cameras. The drawback would be power it would have to be stand alone and to be exposed to temperature variances. At this point the only option I can think of would be a MI FI device, which should be able to be powered off a solar set up.

Seems like there should be a better way?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Distance? what is your current setup? Direct burial cable POE or POE plus will power what you need. Specs normally call for 300 feet to the security camera I have gone 400 with no issues where I have had to. I have gone 600 feet with a perfect pull of cable inside a quality camera and a quality POE Ethernet switch. I did have to lower camera quality.

i don’t recommend wireless security cameras. I will not explain how a radio broadcasting on the wireless frequencies can interfere but put a Bluetooth speaker on one side of kitchen and the phone on the opposite side with a simple microwave in between and turn on the microwave. Did you hear the Bluetooth anymore? Let’s just say making wireless camera loose connection to the host is pretty easy if someone wants to. Then again cutting the camera wire does the same thing easier.

find the perfect camera location and the correct camera/lens for the distance to the object to be viewed from the camera. wire It up and configure. Maybe there is a building to house a switch of build a pole with a weatherproof box.

IF we are talking extreme distance then a fiber optics direct burial cable to a building or a pole with a weatherproof box and ac power for a switch with two fiber GBIC ports and the fiber to a second location in a chain can cover thousands of acres if you have the need and the money.
    wifi only travels about 300 feet (like a wire connection anyway And that is a 2.4 no 5.

a chain saw and the correct camera lens can cover a long distance. Pan tilt zoom camera and 30 power lense covers a lot but the action is never where the camera is pointed

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Distance? what is your current setup? Direct burial cable POE or POE plus will power what you need. Specs normally call for 300 feet to the security camera I have gone 400 with no issues where I have had to. I have gone 600 feet with a perfect pull of cable inside a quality camera and a quality POE Ethernet switch. I did have to lower camera quality.

i don’t recommend wireless security cameras. I will not explain how a radio broadcasting on the wireless frequencies can interfere but put a Bluetooth speaker on one side of kitchen and the phone on the opposite side with a simple microwave in between and turn on the microwave. Did you hear the Bluetooth anymore? Let’s just say making wireless camera loose connection to the host is pretty easy if someone wants to. Then again cutting the camera wire does the same thing easier.

find the perfect camera location and the correct camera/lens for the distance to the object to be viewed from the camera. wire It up and configure. Maybe there is a building to house a switch of build a pole with a weatherproof box.

IF we are talking extreme distance then a fiber optics direct burial cable to a building or a pole with a weatherproof box and ac power for a switch with two fiber GBIC ports and the fiber to a second location in a chain can cover thousands of acres if you have the need and the money.
    wifi only travels about 300 feet (like a wire connection anyway And that is a 2.4 no 5.

a chain saw and the correct camera lens can cover a long distance. Pan tilt zoom camera and 30 power lense covers a lot but the action is never where the camera is pointed
    I am trying to get something set up for our back pasture. It’s a ways out there a bit of a hike or a ride on the 4 wheeler.

There is a primitive campground that buts up against our property. There are no trespassing signs, warning live fire range signs, and purple paint on all the fence post. Yet some people seem to feel it’s fine to come over and have their own petting zoo.

This is kind of a want versus a need thing. So cost is a factor. There are ridges and trees so there really is not a clear line of sight.

I am wondering if a Verizon jet pack would work?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    It would work just fine, but would probably require an enclosure to maintain operating environment.
    We have solar cells out there that produce plenty of power And it has an inverter already for the fence. So I am thinking that may work? I have Wi-Fi in my work SUV and I have a Jetpack as back up, which seems to be fairly durable. I am sure there are times when it hits 120 degrees inside and that does not seem to cause any failures. I almost wonder if it could be mounted under the roof of our round bale feeder?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Main issue with a jet pack will be bandwidth.
    One or two cameras fine four cameras and you can pretty much max out a jet packs bandwidth again depending on how close you are to a cell tower and metal roof or terrain interference. And how fast you can afford to make the jet pack fly. I take it 5G towers are not going to be an option.

Thinking outside the box if you have a large field then they make 360 degree cameras. One camera four views.

Fiber from the house direct burial all the way to the field as fiber optics not as expensive as it once was. Set a pole in the middle of the field so you can get some camera mounting height. Power the box with solar. Ruggedized switches often use 24 48 volt AC or sometime DC Drop a ruggedized Ethernet switch with a GBIC fiber connection. One port POE a WiFi unit. Three ports cameras or get a bigger switch.

Sounds like a trip sensor across the fence area between the old camp and the field would also work to tell you someone came across the line. Reflector on one end box on the other and a bell wire, most old farms have one on the driveway to tell when someone cross the sensor.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Main issue with a jet pack will be bandwidth.
    One or two cameras fine four cameras and you can pretty much max out a jet packs bandwidth again depending on how close you are to a cell tower and metal roof or terrain interference. And how fast you can afford to make the jet pack fly. I take it 5G towers are not going to be an option.

Thinking outside the box if you have a large field then they make 360 degree cameras. One camera four views.

Fiber from the house direct burial all the way to the field as fiber optics not as expensive as it once was. Set a pole in the middle of the field so you can get some camera mounting height. Power the box with solar. Ruggedized switches often use 24 48 volt AC or sometime DC Drop a ruggedized Ethernet switch with a GBIC fiber connection. One port POE a WiFi unit. Three ports cameras or get a bigger switch.

Sounds like a trip sensor across the fence area between the old camp and the field would also work to tell you someone came across the line. Reflector on one end box on the other and a bell wire, most old farms have one on the driveway to tell when someone cross the sensor.
    I think a 360 camera would do it. I guess my other option is more of a conventional option of running two strands of electrified nasty wire at the top of the fence.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is what I do daily.

Do you have line of sight between the house and the center of the area you want to cover with wifi? If so you can install a wireless point to point bridge to get the signal out to the pasture (up to 10km away) and then use a wireless AP out there to provide service to your wired and wifi clients. (provided the solar/batteries can provide power 24/7)
    and line of sight can be from your roof to a tree (with no lower branches) or a tall pole like a telephone pole.

The solution Im thinking of would run about $300 for a bridge and an access point.
    Edit: and planned carefully, its possible to run the entire pasture side on 12VDC to enhance efficiency.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Also, if the area you want to cover is in a depression or wooded and you can get line of sight to within 300' (cable feet, not as the crow flies) of the area, you could put the remote side of the bridge within sight of the house, and then bury a network cable down into the area you want to cover.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    This is what I do daily.

Do you have line of sight between the house and the center of the area you want to cover with wifi? If so you can install a wireless point to point bridge to get the signal out to the pasture (up to 10km away) and then use a wireless AP out there to provide service to your wired and wifi clients. (provided the solar/batteries can provide power 24/7)
    and line of sight can be from your roof to a tree (with no lower branches) or a tall pole like a telephone pole.

The solution Im thinking of would run about $300 for a bridge and an access point.
    Edit: and planned carefully, its possible to run the entire pasture side on 12VDC to enhance efficiency.
    Line of sight? As in no obstructions? Or yeah I can see through it. The pasture is about 3/4 of a mile from the back of our house.

Wireless point Bridge, would that be like a device that would carry our home network out to the pasture? Sorry I am not really a tech guy.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Line of sight? As in no obstructions? Or yeah I can see through it. The pasture is about 3/4 of a mile from the back of our house.

Wireless point Bridge, would that be like a device that would carry our home network out to the pasture? Sorry I am not really a tech guy.
    Yes a pole in the field with one end of the bridge. A mounted bridge which can see the pole from the house. Mount them sturdy as if it moves much you signal degrades. This works in situations like this. 3/4 a mile is much further than I normally shoot them. Aiming the beams can be a bit tricky at distance.

Pro’s no cable to your remote pole. less cash than the cable. Give you internet and cameras as many as the bridge will handle in the field and very little latency on the remote devices.
    con‘s no cable to the remote pole. Many can down the bridge if they wanted with interference or a metal trash can lid at either bridge antenna location, most it gurus don’t want security camera footage available on the wireless network because it can be hacked easier and then they could see indoor or have your cameras available for their viewing pleasure. (I think wireless security is better than when most of these guru’s made the decision to go wired only)

We just hooked in a pump house to a warehouse last week. One guy who was a long time employee wanted a small shop in the pump house. Since the pump run, pump power, phase reversAl had to be monitored for the fire alarm we put that on Ethernet and bridged the building into the network with fire alarm, voice, data, service. No security as most network guru,s do not want the security camera VLAN on wireless. add the VLAN for security cameras and add a camera to the remote switch and you have remote cams

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Ps my daughter lives next door. We bridged the houses (Fiber) together into a single network which gives me viewing of the outside cameras while the two indoor cameras can only be viewed by them. If I bought enough 20 gbps gbic modules I could have 60 gbps network house to house.

distance between houses about 120 feet device to device, if the cable company who provides me service knew about my local network they prolly would not like it. Then again they have no way to get into my network because I keep that pretty well secured off just a IP ADDRESS I pay to have static.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Yep. exactly. Imagine it like the pic below. The bridge beams the signal from one end to the other like an invisible network cable. And the ones I typically install are rated for up to 10km. And not expensive, provided you can find them. (chip shortages)

iu

And anyone who is freaked out enough to not run CCTV over a wireless bridge needs to readjust their tinfoil. Modern encryption is fine and hard enough to hack that its not a problem.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Yep. exactly. Imagine it like the pic below. The bridge beams the signal from one end to the other like an invisible network cable. And the ones I typically install are rated for up to 10km. And not expensive, provided you can find them. (chip shortages)

iu

And anyone who is freaked out enough to not run CCTV over a wireless bridge needs to readjust their tinfoil. Modern encryption is fine and hard enough to hack that its not a problem.

Thank you I am kind of a visual learner which makes no sense because I really have difficulty with with envisioning a end product. But if I can see a picture of it it makes a world of sense.

I am not sure if this makes any difference but I have a vpn work provided. For our person use we just set up a Wi-Fi network for you know surfing INGO lol.

I really just want to have a video record if something goes sideways out there. It’s no secret the LGD’s will not tolerate uninvited trespassers two or four legged variety.

So I could take. Utility pole, we get them at no charge from the electric coop when they put up new poles. And mount it before it gets dropped in the ground?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The pole is not needed just makes camera mounting nice and bridge mounting easy and sturdy in winds. A nice 4x4 or 6x6 of a good length works well also. A ladder will get you up to the height you need to get over say fence brush ect. The height also makes it harder to block the beam with a garbage can lid van or tractor.

Take high camera placement like using tree stand hunting. You get a nice angle on distance mounting high. Facial recognition is harder but we are not worried about that here. Lower camera placement makes it easier to move the camera away from the object on protection also. The lens matters but more if you are into photography that watching a field of cows

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You can put IP Cameras out there, a wifi access point for internet access, etc. Anything your heart desires. Just add a Power over Ethernet switch and it provides power to the cameras, bridge, etc.

I'd mount it AFTER they drop it in the ground. One bad roll and your gear will be flat/dead. :(
    Besides, they are directional antennas, so you'd need to aim them once the pole is up.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    You can put IP Cameras out there, a wifi access point for internet access, etc. Anything your heart desires. Just add a Power over Ethernet switch and it provides power to the cameras, bridge, etc.

I'd mount it AFTER they drop it in the ground. One bad roll and your gear will be flat/dead. :(
    Besides, they are directional antennas, so you'd need to aim them once the pole is up.
    Thank you.

Top Bottom