Why the door breacher? Any practical application?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I decided since Biden inadvertently made a very attractive buyers market for shotguns and shotgun ammo, to take this time to finally put together exactly what I've wanted in a defensive shotgun. I picked up an 870 tactical as the base to work from and ordered a plethora of tacticool accessories. One thing I have to ask about this thing though is it came with a door breacher. I'm not a tactical operator and have no intention of breaching doors any time soon and if I lock my keys in my apartment, I'll probably call a locksmith before I whip out the shotgun. That being said, is there any real practical application for the door breacher? I ask because is seems if I'm moving around in the dark, it's seems to be an extra 2" of barrel that looks perfectly designed to snag on something at the wrong moment.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Coring apples... Other than that, it's just a Tacticool cosmetic accessory. If you have enough Tacticool functionless accessories, you can refer to it as your "shotty" which boosts your "operator" cred.

I've played with one briefly, and if it were mine I would remove it and screw in a cylinder bore choke in its place. It will snag on anything cloth it touches as well as scratch the hell out of wood/drywall/metal etc.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    How about for jabbing the bad guy with? Looks like it would do a pretty good job if necessary (malfunction or out of rounds and bad guy is on you), kind of like a giant tactical pen. That's the first use I thougt of when I saw it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    How about for jabbing the bad guy with? Looks like it would do a pretty good job if necessary (malfunction or out of rounds and bad guy is on you), kind of like a giant tactical pen. That's the first use I thougt of when I saw it.

:+1: I hadn't thought of using a door breacher as an ersatz bayonet, but the idea seems to have merit!

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Even without a mid evil looking muzzle device on it, a 12 gauge muzzle is no laughing matter to get jabbed in the face with. The extra 2" on the end, and the added opportunity to snag on everything would be enough reason for me to forget about it.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Let's be realistic. The gun industry knows what you want, what you are not and what you could only possibly achieve with a credit card swipe.

Marketing 101:

Buy THIS and you'll get the girl. Buy THIS and you'll get that promotion. Buy THIS and you'll be a He-Man door kicker.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Even without a mid evil looking muzzle device on it, a 12 gauge muzzle is no laughing matter to get jabbed in the face with. The extra 2" on the end, and the added opportunity to snag on everything would be enough reason for me to forget about it.

Agreed, I couldn't help but think how is that considerably more effective then a buttstroke or jab to the face with a smooth 12g wide circle.

Let's be realistic. The gun industry knows what you want, what you are not and what you could only possibly achieve with a credit card swipe.

Wait, I just bought that new bi pod, the package said that snipers use the exact model, so now I'm pretty much a sniper...

Wait, I just bought that new muzzle brake so now I can more easily breach doors, (as if I regularly breached them before buying the new muzzle device?) So now I'm pretty much a certified door breacher.

You could add your own examples, but that's the idea of marketing new gun gizmos. Take Mossberg's JIC "Just in case" model. How many folks are going to buy that and bury it somewhere? If somebody was interested in doing that then they probably already would have with their old beat up Mossberg or Remington. Theres a certain "cool" factor to little extra accessories and what not. So really if somebody simply thinks the breacher muzzle brake is cool then that justifies it's purchase to them, so be it. When it comes to stuff like that you can argue the pros and cons for each accessory (extra weight, length, getting hung up on walls, etc) but if the owner deems it cool to him, then that's enough reason to keep it.

Top Bottom