• Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Why not?

When the avoidance of war becomes the goal in and of itself, it ceases being diplomacy and absolutely becomes appeasement. So, yes, in one sense, you're absolutely right that this country no longer understands diplomacy.

Crap, forgot to add: Elsie--good to hear.

That was one of the points that I heard Vice President Cheney making on one of the Sunday shows. Even if you have no intention of using military force, you don't tell people that. It has to be something that remains as one of your options. Look how compliant Khaddafy became with the US and UN inspectors immediately after the the Iraq invasion. He renounced his nuclear program and funding terrorist organizations. Under the Bush doctrine he was fearful that he could be next.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Avoidance of war has never been THE goal, though I can say it has been A goal.

If it is a goal to avoid war because there is a reasonable and feasible alternative that will deliver the same or better result, then fine. But it should NEVER be a stand-alone goal. Ever.

Diplomacy now seems to mean carry a big stick and use it early and often. Diplomacy now seems to mean do what I say or else.

Diplomacy always means "do what I say or else." War is just another method of diplomacy. Because diplomacy is the act of trying to get your 'opponent' to do something not in his best interest for your express benefit. Depending on what that something is, you can either accept his refusal, trade favors for it, or force him. But your bargaining power down the road is severely limited if you opt for the first. And it's only if the third is considered by your opponent as a real option that you may successfully choose the second.

None of what Dr. Paul has said equates to appeasement or isolationism or a weak military.
    I don't believe Paul advocates appeasement. But I do believe that his position on foreign policy necessarily creates an atmosphere of isolationist thought and encourages a weakening of the military.

If national defense means you have to open a can on somebody, he's all for it. The difference is, we won't be out there stirring the hornets nest in order to facilitate it.

My concern is not with his likelihood to respond to a direct attack. My concern is his uncompromising position that involvement outside the borders of the U.S. is only warranted when we are directly attacked. Paul's position leaves no room for vast expanse of gray that lies between direct aggressive acts and "let's just stick our nose wherever we want it."

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

I find this mildly offensive. We dont believe in no government (Somalia) we believe in less government. Cut the bull:poop: and give us a lean, free to make our own choices, government. It is the same thing the Republican party believe before they went all GOP, and it is the same thing that a majority of the Tea Party believes. The government should not waste our time and money on matters that dont concern it in example: abortion, marriage, obesity, health care, the free market, the rest of the world, firearms, retirement planning, low income assistance, low level drug regulation, and did I mention firearms?

To put it simply, why does the government care what a free person does? Why does the government care if an imported rifle has so many imported parts, or if my neighbors Steve and Jim wish to get married? Why does the government care if some college kid smokes a joint? Why do we the people have to spend our money making up, then enforcing, ridiculous and ineffective laws? Shouldnt we be allowed to make grown up decisions for ourselves?

That is Libertarianism. That is the way of a free man.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I support Ron Paul, but like any candidate I do not necessarily agree with every single thing they say. For instance I don’t believe we should allow our military strength to falter and I am not sure that is his intent. I believe in this world environment it is imperative we remain a world power militarily; however I also do not believe we need to continue to be actively involved in as many conflicts as we are. Or that we need to police the world. We need to bring our troops home and use them to secure the sovereignty of our borders. I believe in smaller government and delegating most power to states individually.

There are many varying points of view in this thread with links to news articles, video clips, polls etc. Many of the opinions and recants are very intelligent and well thought out, based on the information that is made available to the common citizen. The problem with that at least from my point of view is that I do not believe we the common citizen are given enough truly factual information to make intelligent decisions on most of the issues at hand. Therefore I try to base my thoughts and ideas on actions not on words. The actions of the government over the last 30 or so years since I became politically active have only proven one thing to me.

Democrat, Republican, liberal, conservative it doesn’t matter if it is followed by the word politician they are all the same. The majority of politicians are liars, cheats and thieves who are only truly concerned with their own agenda and well being and couldn’t care less about the rest of us beyond trying to secure our votes. They have preyed on the American people and this country like vultures picking at a rotting carcass. Controlling and manipulating the American people with fear and propaganda, while pacifying people just enough to keep them in line so everyone can go on pretending.

Now here is a fact. The carcass is picked clean. We the American people are broke, we are actually beyond broke we are flat busted dead dog dick in the dirt broke and further in dept than we can ever hope to fully recover from. It is no longer a matter of opinion rather or not we should help other governments or continue to fight foreign wars. The only war we should be fighting is the real war, the political war here at home and the war along our southern border that we all so conveniently turn a blind eye to. Once things are right at home and we have surplus then we can help others. We simply do not have the funds to continue on this path, and are only doing so by selling the sweat of our children’s, children’s, grandchildren’s, children. There is simply nothing left to discuss, monetarily we are done. The current strategies in place are nothing more than a band aid on a bullet wound. The devaluation of the dollar has already begun; gold is pushing $2000 an ounce, simple everyday things like groceries are getting more and more expensive, eggs for example have doubled in price in the last 2 months. Imagine what things will be like in a year.

What is it going to take to wake the American people up and force them into action? I don’t know. It may already be too late, but I have faith and I have hope, and that is why I support Ron Paul. Maybe just maybe we still have a chance to turn things around, and Ron Paul is the only politician that I have seen that is still saying the same things he has said for decades, he has never wavered in his convictions. Ron Paul warned us years ago that we were on this path and we didn’t listen. Our fore fathers warned us that this could happen if we became complacent and didn’t play an active role in governing our country, we didn’t listen. It’s time to wake up and do whatever is necessary to start repairing the damage. All of this is our fault we the people, we have no one else to blame.

I don’t know if Ron Paul can win the election, and I don’t know how or if he can accomplish the things he says he wants to accomplish. However I do believe he is a patriot that has the best interest of the American people and this country at heart and that he will do his very best to accomplish what needs to be done to turn things around. His position on most issues especially economically is not debatable. I believe Ron Paul is our one last best chance to get out of this mess, and no matter how small that chance might be its still a chance. None of the other candidates are going to do anything significantly different; the lesser of two evils will not solve these problems. It will only compact them. Most of what needs to be done is going to be very unpopular and it’s going to hurt. In reality that is our biggest obstacle no one wants to pay the piper. That’s always been the problem. If we continue looking for the easier softer way we will surely fail.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I really like Ron Paul, but the decision has been made that he will not be the Republican nominee. It's going to be Perry or Romney.

Indeed. The best candidate (Ron Paul or otherwise) will not be getting the nomination. It will be someone who can maintain the status quo that the media and the people like to have. If any of the actually decent candidates are elected President I will be beyond shocked.

Top Bottom