Why DON'T you take any firearms training classes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Why don't you take any firearms training classes?

• Total voters

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I put this here in General Firearms Discussion to gain exposure to folks who don't read the training forum.

If you own guns because you enjoy target shooting, because you keep them for home defense, because you are a hunter or because you simply enjoy collecting them, I want to hear from you.

The question is simple; why don't you take any firearms training classes?

There are classes available to educate and train on the subjects of Competition Shooting, Self Defense, Home Defense, Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns.

Please vote in the poll and feel free to post in this thread with your answers.

The poll is multiple choice and is private. Please don't be afraid to post your mind.

If you have a reason that's not listed in the poll, by all means, please post!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I actually have, will, and enjoy training courses. I would really like to take more in the future. Biggest thing that keeps me from attending more is time, cost and location. I would like to start bringing my wife with me. That means finding a sitter for kids, traveling to the range, fees and ammo for two people. Put all that together and it limits what we can do.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I would love to take a defensive pistol class as well as a carbine course but being unemployed is a *****. Maybe someday.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I didn't vote in the poll, but after being involved with, and owning many guns over the last 30+ years, I am planning to take a course sometime this summer. I've never felt the need up until now, but I find the older I get, the more positive things I can take advantage of, the better, and I also reflect back a lot now about all the things I wish I had done earlier in life.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I honestly think people don't realize that they need training. Many people just don't know how a self defense situation would actually go down.

I was one of these people before I took my first training class. I figured that I shot well at the range, and I knew enough to THINK I knew what I was doing. After I took a training class with HandK I realized how much I didn't know, and I realized the importance of muscle memory.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I honestly think people don't realize that they need training. Many people just don't know how a self defense situation would actually go down.

I was one of these people before I took my first training class. I figured that I shot well at the range, and I knew enough to THINK I knew what I was doing. After I took a training class with HandK I realized how much I didn't know, and I realized the importance of muscle memory.

I find that a very common theme. I always like to see new people to training at classes it is very interesting seeing how their thinking of a encounter and their ability has changed.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    When I joined INGO, I had just started carrying. I would shoot my EDC and a rifle at my dads range and at another shooting range. I saw all the people on here taking and talking about training classes. Honestly, I thought they were WAY too into it. I really did.

I thought classes were too expensive. And would be just a waste, for me. And besides, I just KNEW I was a good enough shot anyway :D

I got an invitation from VUPDblue to participate Friday Night Steel for the first time. I showed up, thinking "hell yes, I'm gonna be awesome. I shoot all the time." Holy Crap! I really sucked it up. After it was over, I talked to VUPDblue. And he gave me some good advice, some of it was on what I was doing wrong. But, he convinced me to take a training class. I figured, what could it hurt?

The first class I took was with ACT. Who is also an INGO advertiser. They really opened up my eyes. Since then, I've taken 4 training classes. And I'm getting ready to sign up for my 5th.

I seriously believe that taking these classes have helped save mine and my wife's life someday. The information I've received could save our lives in a self defense situation. I do believe I could have got the wrong person hurt if that situation ever occured. Plus, I have more confidence in myself in shooting at the range and at Friday Night Steel.

The training classes are worth it. You learn so much valuable information. Don't make the same mistake I did, and assume the classes aren't meant for you. That they're not worth it.

You'll be grateful that you took them. Believe me.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Id love to take some defensive pistol classes, but there never seems to be an in NWI, and the few that are, are never at times I can make.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    I hate to say I'm cheap, but... well, I sorta am.

I took the Intro to Defensive Pistol class taught by Sheriff K. Campbell last fall -- LOVED IT. And at $150 for the 2-day course it felt very reasonable, especially when compared to the price of classes by visiting instructors from Gunsite and the such. At the same time I realize you want highly skilled people when it comes to firearms.

But then you add on the cost of 300-400-500 rounds...

I'm hoping to get over this and take a few more classes this year.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I think you missed something here. One of the options is being trained by a family member. Why do we always think that training must come from some "professional"? There can (not always) be competent family members who are able to train others.

I am not discounting that there are many people who need to obtain training from courses but I do not think that needs to be the first or last course of action for everybody.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Practically, time and money more than anything else.

But there's a psychological component too. Suffice it to say, irrational fears cannot come to life if I am not put in those situations. Somewhat akin to the feller who hates to lose so he doesn't play the game at all.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I voted "afraid to look like a noob...". I just am a bit out of touch with practical aspects of using a firearm and don't know anyone who is up to speed and has taken a class. I will one of these days, I just need to crawl outta my shell... I would like to become more involved in group shoots or classes, especially if they are somewhat local.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Training as long as it is safe and practical. Train the trainer ( a family member) is not a bad idea for the American family.

Hopefully instill some basic firearms responsibility and cut down on a lot of foolish accidental discharges lately.

I was fortunate to be trained by family members, who were veterans from WWII and Korea. Safety was first and foremost.

We were hunters like a lot of families back then. Joining the military didn't hurt anything either.

Yes, there was a time sound training was free or affordable. What happened?

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd LOVE to get into some real training... but it's the same story as trying to join MCFG.... The time slots just don't flip'n fit into my schedule!

I work 5-7 days a week from 2pm - Midnight (ish). Every class I've seen cuts into those hours somehow.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I haven't looked hard but I can't say I've seen many beginner classes. I've had pretty much zero training and wouldn't want to get into a class that I wasn't ready for. At the Southside get together at Shallo's last year theweakerbrother did advise me to take the PD training in New Castle this year and I'm planning on attending.

Last edited:

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I have taken some training and it was well worth the price. I think lovemachine was in the same ACT DP101 class @ ACC.

jd4320t, ACT is having a basic pistol class @ MCFG on May 28. It was posted on here by Coach this past week. Look into it, ACT is a first class organization, and VERY affordable IMHO

Bart

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Seymour
    We will be hosting Tactical Response's Fighting Pistol class again here in Seymour in September. I can't recomend it enough. It is a life changer.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Voted for the "noob" one. Some other factors are when the classes actually occur and if there is any classroom lecture I'll most likely fall asleep during it.

Top Bottom