Why does my AK fire twice when i pull the trigger?????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    why would an AK fire twice when you pull the trigger sometimes???

I heard of a guy having problems with his AK :rolleyes:.
    he said when he pulled the trigger every once in a while it would fire out 2 shots. does anyone know whay this would happen
    any input would be great.

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    1. It may be a tapco trigger that is not properly adjusted and having hammer follow failures.
    2. You may be riding the sear too much and accidentally bump firing (unlikely).
    3. You may have a stuck firing pin and slam firing (I have never heard of this actually happening).

You can remove the dust cover and cycle the action with the trigger held back over and over to test for #1.

You can fire differently for #2 and be sure to remove any rubber buttpads or spongy stocks for #2.

You can manually work the firing pin with the bolt removed to see for #3.

And the jamming may also be instructive. Failures to feed, eject, etc?

Finally, be very careful letting others see you with misfires that include more than one round going down range with one pull of the trigger. One jerk and you could have legal problems!

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Does it have a Tapco G2 trigger group (it will be marked on the trigger)?

If it does:
    Open the top cover, pull out the action spring and bolt and carrier.
    Now with your finger feel the disconnector and see if it has a good amount of tension.
    Some of the Tapco trigger groups last year had the disconnector spring hole drilled too deep and this would cause the disconnector to not have enough spring pressure to retain the hammer while the trigger is in the rear position during firing.
    This could cause potential hammer follow leading to a doubling situation. Tapco did have a recall on the disconnector and they will replace it for free if it is defective.

What you could do is go to Cope's Distributing
    Order a Tapco G2 single hook trigger group, a new disconnector spring and a retainer plate and install these new parts and that would eliminate the possibility of the trigger group being the issue of your doubling.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    OK it does have a Tapco G2 trigger installed i just took it apart and it says Tapco G2 on the hammer. i cycled threw the action severl times and everything went good.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    my advice:

edit this **** NOW.

in a HYPOTHETICAL situation, like you describe, HYPOTHETICALLY, above, you can be charged with poccessing an unregistered machine gun. and go to jail, and be convicted, and a whole slew of other things.

now, if I had a rifle which unintentionally discharged multipule rounds at once, i would find a GOOD OLD GUNSMITH ASAP and get it FIXED.

ASAP.

hypothetically.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    when you say disconnector are you talking about the hammer or the thing that fling forward when you pull the trigger if so that has a lot of tension on it.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    my advice:

edit this **** NOW.

in a HYPOTHETICAL situation, like you describe, HYPOTHETICALLY, above, you can be charged with poccessing an unregistered machine gun. and go to jail, and be convicted, and a whole slew of other things.

now, if I had a rifle which unintentionally discharged multipule rounds at once, i would find a GOOD OLD GUNSMITH ASAP and get it FIXED.

ASAP.

hypothetically.

:+1: not fixed, trouble part replace, then misplaced.... HYPOTHETICALLY

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    when you say disconnector are you talking about the hammer or the thing that fling forward when you pull the trigger if so that has a lot of tension on it.

The trigger group on the AK is made of 3 main parts:

1. Hammer; This is what hits the rear of the firing pin (alot of tension when cocked back, wound spring wrapped around both sides of the hammer)
    2. Trigger; This releases the hammer
    3. Disconnector; This rests behind the trigger on the SAME pin with a small spring under it under tension.
    The disconnector catches the rear of the hammer when the hammer is pushed back and the trigger is still being depressed to prevent hammer follow.

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I would say that you need to take it to a qualified 'smith ASAP. I don't think you are in any danger of prosecution as long as you don't get stupid with it and play with the thing doing double-taps at the range. You found that it was broken, and you took steps to get it fixed. The idiots that get prosecuted for this kind of thing are the ones who keep playing with their new "machinegun". Don't do that.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    Ya i am going to take it to a local gunsmith and see what he thinks. it does'nt do it all the time it just did it once. but again i only fired about 10 rounds.
    i will update if we figure out the problem

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    my advice:

edit this **** NOW.

ASAP.

hypothetically.

David Olofson.

'Nuff said.

Blessings,
    Bill

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    In addition to the serious legal issues, a misfiring Ak is a safety hazard. Get it squared away and enjoy the rifle when it is done! Better to have it done right than accidentally putting a round over the berm with tragic results.

It this a Century Arms rifle?

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    This happened to my ex fatherin law with his sks only it ran the gun dry after first pull. Took it back for an exchange with the gunstore. The shop owner a LEO was not happy and didn't laugh when he suggested not exchanging the gun...lol FA may be fun but a runaway is scary. Especially if it took off upon chambering the first round.

Which is probably one of the reasons most ranges don't like rapid fire.

First time shooting the guy two lanes down did his "lethal weapon" impersonation with his Beretta 92 16 rounds as fast as possible. missed with all but a few rounds. Range guy came running in thinking the sear went.
    Some people...lol

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I would say that you need to take it to a qualified 'smith ASAP. I don't think you are in any danger of prosecution as long as you don't get stupid with it and play with the thing doing double-taps at the range. You found that it was broken, and you took steps to get it fixed. The idiots that get prosecuted for this kind of thing are the ones who keep playing with their new "machinegun". Don't do that.

:+1:

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Its an AK. you can make it work with a coke can and wire.

Pics of the internals and I'll get you going again.

Top Bottom