Why do you think a .32 ACP is not a good carry gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I have no problems carrying a 32acp, especially in a smaller gun. It makes sense in a gun up to the size of a PPK or a Beretta model 70 ect where you normally get an extra round over 380, and the gun virtually always SHOOTS more accurately more easily.

As a cartridge, the 32 is in a strange place. Looking at the foot pounds of energy at the muzzle DOESN'T TELL YOU ANYTHING about this cartridge: the number of 140fpe fools a lot of people into thinking its like a 22 or a 25, but in reality it significantly outperforms both of those rounds in real world shooting. A 32 acp from a 2.5" barrel mouse gun will EXCEED 16" of jello penetration with an FMJ or a hollow point that fails to expand. It will also penetrate a metal clad exterior door, and still have enough power to punch though multiple interior walls. Real world flesh and barrier penetration from a 32acp handgun is significantly greater than 22lr or 25acp, in a pistol that produces a minimal increase in recoil and muzzle blast... Yes, there are more powerful handgun cartridges out there that will also do these things and a bit more but that's not a logical argument against the 32acp.

The issue is that it doesn't have enough power to reliably expand a hollow point and still achieve serious penetration - you only get one or the other with a 32... This WAS also true of the 380 before the recent explosion in popularity of small / cheap / reliable 380 pocket rockets forced ammo manufacturers to step up their game and start truly tweaking their hollow point designed to work better in the 380... So it's probably possible to make bullets that would perform similarly in 32acp, but I suspect its just not being done because its not profitable.

Yup, we have pistols like the Shield 9 (one of my primary carry pieces) and the Glock 42/ 43 now. Yup, they are great little carry guns. Yup, the ammo is a bit cheaper... But the old metal frame, 3.5" barrel, semi-compact 32 acp pistols carry and shoot SO well that dismissing them out of pocket is a bit foolish - especially if you find one for a good price, or if that is what you have available to you.

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    As a collector I love the .32 but not for defensive carry. I personally need to practice, ALOT, so the cost and availability of ammo is a consideration for me, which is also why I don't EDC my P320 in 357SIG. Add to the fact that I have never felt that a small caliber pistol was good for anything other than a BUG but not as a primary. I'm sure many will disagree with this point but as a disclaimer, it is just my opinion.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I carry a full size gun, so .32 doesn't hit my radar for carry. I'd use one as a BUG, but I'm more likely to use an LC9s or small .380 as a bug instead.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for the laugh. :):

"One shot stop" percentages from the link:

.32 ACP - 40%
    .380 ACP - 44%
    .38 Special - 39%
    9mm - 34%
    .357 Sig/Magnum - 44%
    .40 S&W - 45%
    .45 ACP - 39%
    .44 Mag - 59%

Glad to know that my little Glock 42 .380 is more effective than a 9mm, .38 Special or .45 and matches the .357 magnum in "stopping power."

One stop shot stats are pretty much useless info. I don't even track caliber because there's so many variables in shot placement, psychological stop vs physical stop, even with physical stops was there an element of psychological stop prior to the body shutting down, ammunition type, distances shots were fired, presence of intermediate barriers, etc. Absent video (and good video) how do you know if the first shot "stopped" the person or the third? If you have access to case files you can get some info from angle of impact, ie if the person was turning when hit, etc. but I'm guessing nobody compiling these stats has that level of access.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I will say that you cannot take the "stats" alone and get the whole idea behind the authors article. I read the thing and when I came across those numbers I was thinking the same thing and almost bailed on the remainder of the article. I didn't and am glad to have continued. The author attempts to give as much data as possible and then digest that and give it back to the audience in useable bits. He readily admits the flaws in his approach. He speaks to the psychological stoppages as well as physiological. I don't think it was value added to have raced to the chart and not read the entirety of the piece.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Most reply’s follow the big is better having never had to use the .32. It out performs the numbers that a lot of gun writers started using in the 60’s. I carry a STI 2011 in 10 mm most of the time the rest is 1911 in .45 but sometimes the big is better group gets my goat. Bullet design has changed the performance of most of the calibers but if you look for .32 performance it is still up there with the big boys and it has not had the upgrades. The use of 1940-1950 load data is from OSS papers, NRA magazines and some old outdoor magazines. They all had higher load data than the books as they were using Colt’s and Beretta’s with modern steel. At the time of the papers and magazines the 1911 was not the best gun to use. The revolver had a lot better rep. The .32 ACP is a good round if you have hand problems. I can’t shoot left handed a 1851 Navy .36 loaded with 18 grains of FFg black powder (light load) without a lot of pain but can soot a .32 ACP with it.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    As stated over and over here, there are better options in similar sized packages. That said, I love my Savage 1907 as a fun gun.
    FullSizeRender.jpg

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Most reply’s follow the big is better having never had to use the .32. It out performs the numbers that a lot of gun writers started using in the 60’s. I carry a STI 2011 in 10 mm most of the time the rest is 1911 in .45 but sometimes the big is better group gets my goat. Bullet design has changed the performance of most of the calibers but if you look for .32 performance it is still up there with the big boys and it has not had the upgrades. The use of 1940-1950 load data is from OSS papers, NRA magazines and some old outdoor magazines. They all had higher load data than the books as they were using Colt’s and Beretta’s with modern steel. At the time of the papers and magazines the 1911 was not the best gun to use. The revolver had a lot better rep. The .32 ACP is a good round if you have hand problems. I can’t shoot left handed a 1851 Navy .36 loaded with 18 grains of FFg black powder (light load) without a lot of pain but can soot a .32 ACP with it.

To OP: @warren5421

What is your standard for "good?"

Do you have an objective standard, or are you just throwing out a subjective hypothetical?

If it's just a subjective hypothetical, then, yeah, it's "good." Hypothetically carry it all you want.

If you're looking for an objective standard, measured against, say, the 5 most effective commonly carried calibers, then post up your data.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I will say that you cannot take the "stats" alone and get the whole idea behind the authors article. I read the thing and when I came across those numbers I was thinking the same thing and almost bailed on the remainder of the article. I didn't and am glad to have continued. The author attempts to give as much data as possible and then digest that and give it back to the audience in useable bits. He readily admits the flaws in his approach. He speaks to the psychological stoppages as well as physiological. I don't think it was value added to have raced to the chart and not read the entirety of the piece.

The "data" is worthless because the premise is false. The idea that you can find the "stopping power" of a given caliber. You cannot. Two of the exact same caliber projectiles shot into 2 attackers in the exact same place with the exact same velocity and bullet construction can yield vastly different results with regards to "stopping" the attack.

Top Bottom