• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you live that close to a course, that is probably bound to happen. Might be worth looking at something shatterproof.
    A friends dad lived right behind the 14th flag on a course just north of us. He lost a few windows that the course replaced no issues. The best of this was he would gather up all the balls that the boys left in the yard and my buddy and I had bleasst sending them back out on the course at will. Nt to harm but man it sure did screw with the players,

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A friends dad lived right behind the 14th flag on a course just north of us. He lost a few windows that the course replaced no issues. The best of this was he would gather up all the balls that the boys left in the yard and my buddy and I had bleasst sending them back out on the course at will. Nt to harm but man it sure did screw with the players,

Better yet, sell them back to golfers at a couple bucks a ball...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I do not want some totalitarian yard Nazi who drive saround with a ruler measuring my grass and fining me because it rained for the last 3 days and could not be cut.
    I also don't want the same over bearing :poop: telling me I can not fly a American flag in front my house.

There are some benefits if the board members are not power hungry idiots, but that is few and far between.

I would not own a home in a HOA, at my age I do not want to have to mess with people who think they are they second coming of the Third Reich.

Some are all good with that. But most folks with a significant investment in a small plot of land very close to their neighbors, find they are better off, particularly financially, if they have agreements as to what is allowed. Most of what you are noting is the rare highly publicized situations.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We don't have an HOA...we have a town board that holds their meetings at 5PM on a weekday so working residents have to take PTO or just skip the meetings. The town board is a big do-nothing money grabbing sack of used donuts.

The lady across the road, about 30 years ago, decided she wanted a Vietnamese pot belly pig for a pet. She contacted the town board, our town says a pet is a dog or a cat or a fish in an indoor aquarium...she was saddened by this but the TB told her to get everyone within 10 homes on either side of her and 10 homes directly across the street to sign a document stating we were fine with her having a pot belly pig, she could get one and keep it in and on her property. It took her about four weeks...some neighbors requested she put up a privacy pig proof fence as they didn't care to see the ugly beast. TB says ok you may have a pot belly pig. She was excited and indicated to me this very rare and poignant piggie was setting her back $700...she bought it from a guy she met at the VFW. The day the piggie arrived she invited the wife and I to come see it. We expressed our admiration and went home and I told the wife that pig had never been to Vietnam, was not from Vietnam, and was your basic $15 piglet. We watched the piggie grow and grow over the next few months...she loved it and took it on walks, and it wore a diaper when out and about. She realized she'd been had when the thing weighed in at about 180 lbs and was still growing. Then it just disappeared one day...she told us she GAVE it to a hog farmer in the county.

The TB was pleased it was gone and to my knowledge they have never since strayed away from the original pet definition of cat, dog, or indoor fish.

What's this got to do with anything? Hell if I know....I'm having a bout of insomnia tonight and it just came to me.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Some are all good with that. But most folks with a significant investment in a small plot of land very close to their neighbors, find they are better off, particularly financially, if they have agreements as to what is allowed. Most of what you are noting is the rare highly publicized situations.

Nope, My sister's mother-in-law had issues in the HOA in the Sub division she used to live in at Center Grove just up the street from CG High school. Her house was on the corner entrance to a small cul-de-sac. They routinely gave he fits about her yard being 1/2 too high ( that she religiously moved twice a week), and for excessive parking on Thanksgiving and Christmas get togethers.

One Christmas they had the nerve to berate me for being over extended out of the driveway FOUR INCHES.

She had a chuckle on that one,
    "Let me get my daughter in laws brother, that's his SUV.

I came out with my my pants down to my crack, short sleeves rolled up to my arm pits and told them if they thought that was a problem, just wait till I fire the bad boy up and lock in the four wheel drive and do some major yard work renovations on my way out of there.

She sold the house 2 years later and moved to Florida to a Mobole home Community where she's having a blast living out her senior years tooling around on her golf cart.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Nope, My sister's mother-in-law had issues in the HOA in the Sub division she used to live in at Center Grove just up the street from CG High school. Her house was on the corner entrance to a small cul-de-sac. They routinely gave he fits about her yard being 1/2 too high ( that she religiously moved twice a week), and for excessive parking on Thanksgiving and Christmas get togethers.

One Christmas they had the nerve to berate me for being over extended out of the driveway FOUR INCHES.

She had a chuckle on that one,
    "Let me get my daughter in laws brother, that's his SUV.

I came out with my my pants down to my crack, short sleeves rolled up to my arm pits and told them if they thought that was a problem, just wait till I fire the bad boy up and lock in the four wheel drive and do some major yard work renovations on my way out of there.

She sold the house 2 years later and moved to Florida to a Mobole home Community where she's having a blast living out her senior years tooling around on her golf cart.
    Morning IBM. You do realize basing all HOAs on a sample of 1 is like basing all Military bases on training bases with no combat mission? They ain’t all like that.

Your Mom is in Florida? That’s the home of the tyrannical HOA. Neighborhood Watch guidance from the National Sheriffs Association (probably from McGruff the Crime Dog) actually said NW and HOAs can’t coexist in Fla.

Can’t fly a flag. I was on a board when the resulting change to Indiana Code came out. That was G-Wood area IIRC where some uninformed tyrant decided Old Glory was a decoration.
    I’d have moved to have them removed from the board.

If I had a choice? I’d be in the country. Of course when I was on the farm there weren’t methheads.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    IMO the problem with most HOAs is that the rules are drawn up by a developer so everything looks nice while they sell everything. They hire a management firm to patrol and send letters to violators. Once they are done selling everything they hand "control" over to a small handful of homeowners and call it a day.

In theory, the homeowners could then alter the covenants. In reality they will never get a quarum of 1000, 500, 200, or likely even 100 home owners to agree on enough of anything to improve the situation and are thus stuck with whatever the developer setup initally regardless of how the actual homeowners feel.

Just like Indiana and Federal codes, the covenants drawn up by developers are not well written and can be interpreted broadly often by a board member or management company critter with little or no recourse for the homeowner other than a drawn out court battle. Other times people will simply ignore the written covenant and make up their own interpretation. This happened with our HOA. Our covenant specifically states that boats and a few other vehicles cannot be parked on driveways or in front of the houses overnight. I parked our boat behind the driveway almost in my back yard for a couple weeks to do some work on it. This of course was not acceptable to the management critter who interpreted the rule as "no boats on property". I would likely win in a court battle, but that's not a hill I need to die on. There are also a number of other boats, camping trailers, and RVs that come and go throughout the season which tells me that the homeowners would like to be able to keep their vehicles on property without being hassled but I doubt we'll get much traction on altering the covenants.

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    IMO the problem with most HOAs is that the rules are drawn up by a developer so everything looks nice while they sell everything. They hire a management firm to patrol and send letters to violators. Once they are done selling everything they hand "control" over to a small handful of homeowners and call it a day.

In theory, the homeowners could then alter the covenants. In reality they will never get a quarum of 1000, 500, 200, or likely even 100 home owners to agree on enough of anything to improve the situation and are thus stuck with whatever the developer setup initally regardless of how the actual homeowners feel.

Just like Indiana and Federal codes, the covenants drawn up by developers are not well written and can be interpreted broadly often by a board member or management company critter with little or no recourse for the homeowner other than a drawn out court battle. Other times people will simply ignore the written covenant and make up their own interpretation. This happened with our HOA. Our covenant specifically states that boats and a few other vehicles cannot be parked on driveways or in front of the houses overnight. I parked our boat behind the driveway almost in my back yard for a couple weeks to do some work on it. This of course was not acceptable to the management critter who interpreted the rule as "no boats on property". I would likely win in a court battle, but that's not a hill I need to die on. There are also a number of other boats, camping trailers, and RVs that come and go throughout the season which tells me that the homeowners would like to be able to keep their vehicles on property without being hassled but I doubt we'll get much traction on altering the covenants.
    That's pretty much the status of mine in the current neighborhood lol. We found a lot of what people were saying you can't do wasn't actually in the covenants but had just been passed down from from what the office workers told new people moving in.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I know more than just a few people who have had issues with their HOA board flexing their power hunger. Seems to always be some window licker that can't just leave people alone. From my perspective as people's interests change through life, they should be able to freely (reasonably) do what they want on their property. What you may have thought was a good idea 10 or 20yrs ago when you moved into your home may not be conducive to a hobby you pick up down the road.
    I have a friend who gets harassed by his HOA for parking his 12ft enclosed trailer in his driveway overnight before going camping with it. Or another who gets harassed for doing any kind of work on his own car..even in the garage with the door open. Or my BIL that was harassed for buying his daughter a playhouse he put in the backyard that didn't match the colors of the home. There are plenty of other stories.
    No thanks, I would much rather not give another entity authority to in essence govern my life.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    People are people. You are always going to have at least one guy in the neighborhood, who causes problems, by either not paying dues or violating the HOA bylaws. You are also likely to have that HOA board member who wants to push their idea of utopia on everyone. I joined the board to fight the HOA board members who lack some freedom loving common sense.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I know more than just a few people who have had issues with their HOA board flexing their power hunger. Seems to always be some window licker that can't just leave people alone. From my perspective as people's interests change through life, they should be able to freely (reasonably) do what they want on their property. What you may have thought was a good idea 10 or 20yrs ago when you moved into your home may not be conducive to a hobby you pick up down the road.
    I have a friend who gets harassed by his HOA for parking his 12ft enclosed trailer in his driveway overnight before going camping with it. Or another who gets harassed for doing any kind of work on his own car..even in the garage with the door open. Or my BIL that was harassed for buying his daughter a playhouse he put in the backyard that didn't match the colors of the home. There are plenty of other stories.
    No thanks, I would much rather not give another entity authority to in essence govern my life.

It is good you know what you want and have that option. If I live in a neighborhood with small lots, I for one do not want to look at a boat or RV at every house on the block. I do not want to listen to the air compressor running air tools doing brake jobs for friends, I don't want the traffic of a homemade candy business, I don't want to see all the Chinese made plastic backyard play toys or sheds, the list could continue but you get the idea. If you don't want that there are places for that.

A persons changing interests have no bearing on the agreement with the neighbors as to how they will live. Millions of people get into boats, RV's, shooting, restoring a vehicles, and figure out how to do it without violating their agreement.

Freedom is often mentioned in this thread without ever touching on an important aspect of freedom, that is the freedom from something is never acknowledged only the freedom to.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It appears HOA's must do a pretty god job overall as there are few complaints about them not doing their job, and a whole lot of complaints they are. LOL

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    It is good you know what you want and have that option. If I live in a neighborhood with small lots, I for one do not want to look at a boat or RV at every house on the block. I do not want to listen to the air compressor running air tools doing brake jobs for friends, I don't want the traffic of a homemade candy business, I don't want to see all the Chinese made plastic backyard play toys or sheds, the list could continue but you get the idea. If you don't want that there are places for that.
    It appears HOA's must do a pretty god job overall as there are few complaints about them not doing their job, and a whole lot of complaints they are. LOL
    Found the HOA board president.

:):

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    HOA's are like masks!
    HOA's are like vaccines!

You want one? great!

You don't want one? Great!

It's up to you.

Sure there are some rare highly publicized situations out there to convince people to be in an HOA.
    Just like there are some rare highly publicized situations out there to convince people not to be in an HOA.

Just like masks!
    Just like vaccines!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Two biggest complaints i hear regarding HOAs

The HOA doesn't let me do X.
    The HOA is not enforcing the rules on my neighbor doing Y.

Top Bottom