• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Before you get rid of the wire folder, if you have some paracord on hand wrap the wire in paracord.
    25926b7d.jpg

I love the wire side folders when wrapped since they allow full access to the bolt, safety, and side rail.

US Palm grips rock, they fit the widest selection of hands and get it up closest to the receiver.

Hogue grips are probably the most comfortable, but not for small hands and don't get your hand up as close to the receiver (still much closer than the normal grip).

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    You may also be getting trigger slap depending on what trigger is in there. My S12 pre-conversion trigger would slap the hell out of my finger. I knew i didn't like shooting it but since so many things happened at once i didn't really notice the slap. It felt like someone was smacking my finger with a hammer. It wasn't until i shot a converted one that i noticed the slap. Even though i didn't notice, my brain made me not look forward to shooting the gun. Maybe that's an issue for you.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I know what you mean. I had a WASR and an M70AB2, but sold both of them. I think you have to look at what it was designed to do, SPRAY LEAD! The Russians did not worry too much about comfort, just performance at putting hot lead down range.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I forget now who it is that sells the bracket-type comb riser for the side folder in question. Not that it would help the length of pull issue.
    I'd be willing to bet that a Nato length butt stock and better grip would make a big difference for the OP. Kvar has the Nato stocks plus matching upper and lower handguards.
    I would like to try the Hogue grip myself someday.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    You're just not an AK type of guy. Some people are, some people are not. Tell you what.... since it's not making you happy I'll give you $250 and come pick it up tonight that way you don't have to worry about it anymore. I'll make that sacrifice to help another INGO member. I'm a "take on for the team" kinda guy.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Thanks for the replies guys. You've given me a lot ideas. I'm gonna try some out. With so much WASR bashing going on all the time though, I wonder if I should wait and handle a nicer specimen of AK before buying new parts for the WASR. What is it exactly that makes some better than others? I know the bolt on mine feels really wobbly kind of and kinda sticky in some parts. Basically, its not a smooth pull to the rear. Would a nicer AK be better about that?

Thanks again guys.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The AK just isn't a gun of finely fitted parts. It is what it is.
    That said your Wasr will likely last longer than we do.
    As long as you don't have the somewhat common problem of canted parts, or anything like loose rivets ect, anything glaringly obvious wrong with the gun, and it functions as it should then you have everything you need for a basic AK. You can mod it to suit you from there.
    Yours being an older Wasr it has the better imported barrel that cannot be brought into the country anymore, so that's something to consider too.
    A lot of nice AK's are safe queens. There are probably millions of Polytechs ect that never see daylight, and many in fact have never been fired.
    Arsenals are good AK's I suppose. Mine and those of my friends work like they should, but so do our Wasrs. Our Arsenals don't look special. They're either all black, or black and plum. They really don't do anything that the Wasrs can't do.

Last edited:

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Also adding this since I forgot to mention it. The only other AK Ive shot was a Full Auto Milled receiver last year at a Foreign Weapons training class. And to be honest, I was so excited about dumping 30rds out of it that I dont even remember the whole rest of the stage of fire.

After reading one of the other comments here (Sorry, dont remember who said it), it is pretty front heavy. Maybe I should try something that will better balance it, and maybe I will add a US palm grip since they look like have more of an AR slant to them instead of the straight up down feel of the AK.

Last edited:

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Does your trigger have a G2 stamped on it? If not, that's a cheap, easy fix, that will really improve the performance of your shooting.

X2 on the trigger. I have a g2 in my SAR1 and an adjustable red star arms in my romak 991. Makes the rifle shoot much nicer. Both have better pull than what came with my Bushmaster AR.

I prefer a solid stock instead of a folder but that's just personal preference.

I don't mind the irons but I also enjoy using my Kobra red dot.

Also, drums are fun. :ar15:

What are you using your AK for? I've never liked shooting paper with my AKs. I'd rather use larger targets that I can rapid fire with. If I'm shooting paper, I'll use a different rifle. :twocents:

Edit, I have a US Palm grip on one of my rifles and don't really care for it. I was hoping it would be like the Magpul MIAD that I have on my AR but its not. I'd just as well use the stock US grip.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    X2 on the trigger. I have a g2 in my SAR1 and an adjustable red star arms in my romak 991. Makes the rifle shoot much nicer. Both have better pull than what came with my Bushmaster AR.

I prefer a solid stock instead of a folder but that's just personal preference.

I don't mind the irons but I also enjoy using my Kobra red dot.

Also, drums are fun. :ar15:

What are you using your AK for? I've never liked shooting paper with my AKs. I'd rather use larger targets that I can rapid fire with. If I'm shooting paper, I'll use a different rifle. :twocents:

Honestly, ive only shot it once. I havent been home much to really get out and do all the shooting I wish I could, but when I did shoot it, I put about 200rds or so rounds through and was shooting at random stuff like cans and other junk. Everytime Im home though I take it out of the safe and fondle it, and it always reminds me how uncomfortable it is. Ive been thinking about it alot since I posted this, and I really am starting to think it might just be the stupid little AK grip thats on there. I think Im gonna grab a US Palm if I come across a good deal on one. Hopefully itll help me enjoy shooting it more.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    get a lever action

Seriously? Are you headed straight to the classifieds now?

ETA- yep, just checked. Congrats on your 50th post. Its soon to be deleted. Just follow the rules dude. You've been all over the classifieds and just now have 50 posts.

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Ha. I couldn't agree more about replacing with the palm grip. If you're ever in Indy you're welcome to try any of mine. If you want to make your G2 trigger really cool, talk to JTGarner. He added material to the bottom and filed it down similar to a red star arms trigger. It was pretty sweet.

Don't hate your AK. Once you've made it yours you'll dig it. Once you've seen what it can do, you'll respect it. Once you're without it, you'll miss it. Once you train with it, you'll love it.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Ha. I couldn't agree more about replacing with the palm grip. If you're ever in Indy you're welcome to try any of mine. If you want to make your G2 trigger really cool, talk to JTGarner. He added material to the bottom and filed it down similar to a red star arms trigger. It was pretty sweet.

Don't hate your AK. Once you've made it yours you'll dig it. Once you've seen what it can do, you'll respect it. Once you're without it, you'll miss it. Once you train with it, you'll love it.

Thanks, Ill have to talk to JT about his trigger. I have definitely decided on the grip change, it looks alot more comfortable. Not sure what else yet. Ill get home and maybe change things up here and there. I was thinking I might try adding some length to original wood stock. If I like that better, Ill get me a NATO length.

Top Bottom