Who's got a night vision scope they'd recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'd like an actual night vision scope. I'm not trying to pretend to be a ninja, but I'd like to be able to make quality hits on varmints at night and the IR lasers I'd used are adequate, but I'd prefer a reticle. I've had the class 1 IR lasers get all weird and blurry when they get on fur. I've got a handheld IR Illuminator, so I don't really need anything of the highest quality because I'm not hiding from an enemy group. So it all boils down to, does anyone here have a night vision scope on the "less expensive" side of things that they're mostly happy with? Ideally I'm looking for a play thing in the $500 or less range.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I dont know anyone who has been happy for long with less than GenIII NV. And most of those guys have switched to thermal.

I have two Gen1 devices and they were fun to play with for about a month. Haven't used them since. Don't even know where they are. At that price point, I found quality lights to be the better value for hunting.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    For $500, I'd look at digital night vision. Check out the Sightmark Wraith. It will work, but you'll find out you will want something better. If you want, I have a digital night vision scope and a few other options you could look through...

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I have an ATN X-Sight 4k Pro. While it's not less than $500, it works really well. I paired it with the ABL 1000 laser range finder to make full use of the features. You can now get the X-Sight 5 which comes with the range finder built in. I would recommend upgrading the IR light that comes with them. The Sightmark Wraith that Rookie mentioned is a couple hundred dollars cheaper, more around the $500 range.

I've shot a Gen 1 NV scope way back in the day and it sucked at anything past about 75 yards, plus you obviously can't use it during the daytime, which is one reason I went with the digital ATN. I wouldn't expect much for less than $500 in the NV world, but for a toy to mess around with, I feel like the best bang for your buck is the ATN. They have excellent customer service as well.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Not to be "that guy", but perhaps look into thermal imaging. As @ckcollins2003 mentioned above, ATN makes some good scopes that don't cost as much as FLIR or Eotech. I was amazed looking through a Gen 3 NV scope, but a thermal scope blows that out of the water (except when you need to look through glass or see IR stuff, like lasers). Thermals can also be used during the day with slightly less effectiveness depending on ambient temperature.

Unfortunately when it comes to night vision, there really isn't good cheap options. You could also look into clip on systems, which is an illuminator that sits in front of a conventional optic. Whatever you get, ensure that it can withstand the recoil of your selected weapon. For example, a friend's PVS-14 could be used as a clip on, but only for 5.56 and below.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    For $500, I'd look at digital night vision. Check out the Sightmark Wraith. It will work, but you'll find out you will want something better. If you want, I have a digital night vision scope and a few other options you could look through...
    What he said. Bought one on the recommendation of Rookie. Works well for what it is and has some neat features. Mine has not given me a lick of trouble.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Not to be "that guy", but perhaps look into thermal imaging. As @ckcollins2003 mentioned above, ATN makes some good scopes that don't cost as much as FLIR or Eotech. I was amazed looking through a Gen 3 NV scope, but a thermal scope blows that out of the water (except when you need to look through glass or see IR stuff, like lasers). Thermals can also be used during the day with slightly less effectiveness depending on ambient temperature.

Unfortunately when it comes to night vision, there really isn't good cheap options. You could also look into clip on systems, which is an illuminator that sits in front of a conventional optic. Whatever you get, ensure that it can withstand the recoil of your selected weapon. For example, a friend's PVS-14 could be used as a clip on, but only for 5.56 and below.
    I've got nothing against thermal and would like to have the daylight versatility too. As far as clip on devices I looked into that some time ago and never found anything that was decent for a cheapo beater price.

When I started in night vision I played with an armasight spark core monocular that was Gen 1 but was pretty good for what it was and for what I paid. I was able to play with night vision and learn how to work with it, but ultimately ended up with a PVS 14 for a reason. I was just hoping in this particular case there was some cheapo beater scope that with an illuminator on the side would extend it's range a bit.

MikeHoncho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2019
    Laurel
    I've got a Sightmark Photon in the classifieds now for sale, like new comes with the box and all paperwork. It will do you a fine job with a nice light out to about 300 with no issues. I killed several coyotes with it.

Top Bottom