Not open for further replies.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    We are going into a new year. How about we all resolve to start fresh? Hopefully this thread will go dormant and have no activity in 2015.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    We are going into a new year. How about we all resolve to start fresh? Hopefully this thread will go dormant and have no activity in 2015.

20137460-1413482372.gif

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Do we make mistakes? *SHOCK* yep. Do we correct mistakes when other Mods and/or Fenway call us out on them? yep.

If you don't beleive what the Mods tell you about what happens behind the scenes, then I guess there isn't really any point of further debate, eh?
    1911ly's post summed it up quite well..

^^This.

I've made a few mistakes of my own... Been called on them or realized the errors myself, and admitted them. I've also pointed out others' errors (as I saw them) but you didn't and won't see that, because I did them privately.

I have PMd with every mod we've had since I joined the staff in 2009 and a couple who were staff before me (though the latter not in the capacity of a mod) I have the cell phone number of everyone on staff in my phone, and have spoken with most that way, and those I have not, we've talked in person, face to face.

We DO discuss issues, often at great length. We don't all agree all the time on the "when" to do something or even the "how". We usually (usually) agree THAT it needs to happen, though, and that's at times determined by who's doing it.

Why does that matter? A couple of us are hair-trigger on certain issues. (Me, on prejudice, for example) There are times that's a strength. There are times it's a hindrance, too. and as such, I ask and expect that I'll have someone else be a "voice of reason" to me, which has saved a couple of members from banning... At least for a while. They've eventually worn out their welcome in other ways.

We tease VUPDBlue about him being the Enforcer, but he's a pretty rational guy. It takes a lot to get him to a point to ban someone, but once he's there, it's pretty well a done deal. That's actually true for most of us, again, for different reasons. We tend to backstop each other and provide that "voice of reason" in all but the most egregious of cases.

For my part, personally, I enjoyed most of my conversations with 88GT. We had a couple of differences of opinion, but generally we got along OK. I found her an invaluable resource for homeschooling info, and in that regard, I am sorry to see her gone. Professionally, that is, with the mod hat on, I'm usually sorry to see someone's departure from this board in that way, because to me, it means we as a group, and I individually, if I've been involved, weren't/wasn't able to come to a meeting of minds. It saddens me that the perception of me or any of my friends on the staff is one of intolerance and capriciousness. At the same time, I also have to consider the effect someone has. Example:

We've most of us worked somewhere where there was one or a small group of people who hate the boss, hate the job, hate the customers, or just generally hate everything except their time off. What happens when you hang around that person or group extensively? In my experience, those who hang around that get "poisoned" by the proximity of that amount of negativity. One place I worked, we had that small group and they all, over a short period of time, found themselves in search of new jobs. The attitude around the workplace improved very rapidly, because those influences were no longer present to drag others down. It was sad to see coworkers leave, but overall, it was good for the business and the morale. (At another job, a guy that eventually became my boss was quoted to say, "If you don't like your job, f***ing quit!", which honestly, is good advice.)

Now... I'm not trying to paint 88GT as this horrible black cloud. That's far from true. Those things she found problems with, though, she made sure we and everyone else knew it. Eventually, as I said above, that poisons the whole environment, no matter who does it. Fenway is usually a pretty happy guy, and that carries through in the mood of his posts. Imagine if he was negative in that mood, though. He's the one guy who cannot be banned here, because he owns it, but others would quickly leave if he had an attitude like that, and he'd be here by himself.

In all honesty, I wish her well. I hope that she does find a place online to converse and not feel the animosity that I felt from her at times here. I hope that the benefits from this parting of ways are mutual and extensive, and as always, I wish to her and to all,

Blessings,
    Bill

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom