Who Has Ever Burned Their Hands Or Fingers On A Hot Firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lacroixdp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Last year I had some hot brass from a 22lr fly up and lodge itself in between my face and my safety glasses. It made a pretty nasty burn on my cheek!

msmith103

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Hendricks County
    Last year I had some hot brass from a 22lr fly up and lodge itself in between my face and my safety glasses. It made a pretty nasty burn on my cheek!
    Did the same thing the second time I went to the range. Left a nice read line on my cheek for about a week.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've had numerous brass "kisses" - like rhino said, do a couple carbine courses, it will happen.

As far as burning myself on a hot gun, I've done it a couple times, but nothing serious. Most recently was at NFA Day last year. I was doing an upper swap on my M-11/9. The upper itself wasn't hot, but the portion of the barrel that extends back into the receiver sure was! OHF*CK! Fortunately I had my boo-boo kit handy; a little burn gel and a Looney Toons band-aid, and I was GTG. :yesway:

cklein6576

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    South Bend, Worst. Mayor. Ever.
    1st time with my g30 and 3 friends at the range and brass came off the wall and behind my glasses. Burnt the entire time i set the gun down calmly and then picked out the brass. By that time it had skin attached to it. My 1st day back at work everyone wondered what i had said to my girlfriend. :)

Lesson: Always wear a hat.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    After dumping a 30 round mag through the Beretta my thumb made contact with the barrel (entire finger print area). Almost dropped gun and buddy about pissed himself laughing.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've touched a few of mine when they've been hot. But never anything bad enough to cause more than a minor 1st degree burn. I'm normally pretty quick about pulling away. Now brass I've had get me a few times. At least with my CZ-52 I don't have to worry about that, it throws it 25 feet or more away, lol.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Only hot brass. Sucks when qualifying because you don't have time to remove it until the string of fire is over. Just leave it until it cools. Luckily it's only .223 or 9mm, so it doesn't burn too bad. I've seen some pretty clear scars left exactly in the shape of 223 brass though. Looks pretty cool (when it's on someone else).

Never been burned on a barrel, but have seen some pretty hot barrels. Even if you change them at the required intervals and fire at the sustained rate, a few thousand rds belt fed through a SAW, 240, or Ma Deuce really get the barrels smoking.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    And BigCraig, being the class III king,:bow: how much is a fully transferable pre May '86 FA AK-47 worth nowadays? :dunno:

Hard to say.

But the AK in the video posted above was a post sample, those are usually priced correctly, that one probably cost less than $500. The guy in the video was letting his FFL expire and had to either destroy the gun or surrender it to the ATF, he chose the fun way.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I should have read this thread 3 days ago when it was started...today after firing 15 or so rounds, rapid fire, out of my AR I grabbed to barrel to feel how "warm" it would be...not warm...HOT! Luckily I let go quick enough to not get a burn...but man...did I learn a lesson or WHAT today!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Brass kiss - check
    Ak foregrip burn - check
    Ultimak AK sight mount burn - check
    Competition burn - check
    Grab barrel like moron to see if hot burn - check

Yep, that about covers it.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Ah yeah, I also picked up a .223 casing that I had JUST fired thinking it was one that was there for awhile...and found a bullet in the backstop that was recently fired. That was really warm...so not burning hot.

Top Bottom