• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I have been thinking about this for awhile. In a SHTF situation, who do you let in to your inner sanctuary? You, presumably, have prepared, have necessary supplies and sources for basic needs, shelter and land etc. Others are aware of this and will likely appeal to you for acceptance into your group. How do you determine who to allow in and who do you turn away? What criteria do you use to make these decisions? For example:
    1. Family: (goes without saying) but how far? Cousins? In laws and their families? Aunts/Uncles and families?
    2. Friends: Friends families? Friends relatives?
    3. Those with special skills: Medical skills/training? Engineers? Fabricators? Mechanics? Construction?
    4. Emotional: Children? Elderly?
    There is always the domino effect. You let this person because they have vital skills, now you have let his family in, etc.
    Do you have a rubric you use to evaluate each person? Where do you draw the line? How callous can you be when turning someone away?
    In a true crisis things will get ugly quickly, can you as the leader of your group take the necessary actions to ensure your groups survival? When it comes down to it, I believe it will be more difficult than any of us can imagine.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    We have a safe word.
    The mag knows the safe word even if they do not know the people.
    I would say three to five people know the safe word and would be allowed into the area. They would know only the significant other and children.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    None.
    My preps have been the butt of many family jokes. I have thick skin and accept their ridicule and remarks, but if/when that time comes, that same "thick skin" will have zero issues turning the unprepared away.
    My wife has a tender heart, so I'll be listening to her BS about feeding everyone with a sob story........................she may have to go too.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Only extreme close friends and family unless they didn't have the same mindset as me before the event, they are on their own. If they don't have the skills and supplies to contribute to the group I'm not babysitting them. That being said the people who I would link up with already know who they are. I'll pray for the others but won't allow them to bring me down.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    My posts are decisive and direct but in SHTF, all family and friends are welcome. Would have to organize people by their skills, designate trusted security and authority to leaders according to their skill set. A few acres could help a lot of loved ones.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    It's a very short list.
    My concern is echoed in jerrob's post. I have a lot of friends that have made no effort to prepare and know I have. I worry how many of those "friends" will show up at the gate looking for food & shelter.

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Sorry not all my family is welcome. They have to be like minded and come with a skill set. I will NOT allow my family suffer because they couldn't see the writing on the wall.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My prep is based more on realistic problems like bad weather or disruptions like covid and the economy. My sons might elect to come here if things were really bad and they would be welcome. Other than that I don't think I'll have anybody else, travel during those conditions will be tough.

I always look at the example of the Katrina disaster, worthless local leadership did a lot of posturing while sending the population they were responsible for into a black hole. It is the way of leadership.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I had a short list of those I would allow in that otherwise would not be contributing. Of late that list has diminished to nearly zero.

If one of the few people that know I prep showed up because their place was compromised we can discuss.

If any of my family shows up right now they are probably wasting their time. Most of them poked fun about my preps, even tho those preps served me when I was suspended from work for a month.

Recent events have caused a rift with the few people that were to be allowed. Now I just have to worry about the spouse and kids. More for me I guess.

This doesn't mean that I will turn every person away. It just means I will be more critical.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Part of the problem is deciding which is the most likely scenario to occur, then deciding where is the best place to retreat, then deciding which people have the necessary skills to survive and how many can be accommodated with the space and supplies available. The hardest part is having the conversation because if my location is compromised then I'm not the decision maker, I'm now the refugee. If I wasn't prepared to let someone into my shelter then do I really expect them to let me into theirs? Unless my survival skills outweigh the animosity of course.

But the short answer would have to be if I've already evaluated anyone in my sphere of influence and made the decision in advance, those who will be allowed in already know who they are and where to go for refuge. Dealing with desperation at the front door is never going to end well for anyone involved and I'm not talking about broken familial relations.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    These are questions best answered well ahead of time. If you don't know when the time comes, well ...
    Part of the problem is deciding which is the most likely scenario to occur, then deciding where is the best place to retreat, then deciding which people have the necessary skills to survive and how many can be accommodated with the space and supplies available. The hardest part is having the conversation because if my location is compromised then I'm not the decision maker, I'm now the refugee. If I wasn't prepared to let someone into my shelter then do I really expect them to let me into theirs? Unless my survival skills outweigh the animosity of course.

But the short answer would have to be if I've already evaluated anyone in my sphere of influence and made the decision in advance, those who will be allowed in already know who they are and where to go for refuge. Dealing with desperation at the front door is never going to end well for anyone involved and I'm not talking about broken familial relations.
    ^These.
    Prepping is done ahead of time, and that includes the relationship part. Make friends, make acquaintances, make contacts, so you know what skills/resources are where beforehand no matter what the event.

As far as taking walk ups like great clips, somewhere between not many and none. Gotta bring assets.

Top Bottom