• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Who can legally carry at a (K-12) school. I assume that law enforcement personnel do not disarm when they have business at a school. Who else? Could a private school hire private security, for example, and grant them permission to carry?

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Yep.
    IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses
    IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    35-47-9-1 Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    35-47-9-2 Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Here you go.....
    IC 35-47-9
    IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    In answer to your question, yes, a school can hire security. Technically, they could also authorize ANYONE to carry.

edit: beat by jsgolfman!!!! Too slow on the copy/paste.....

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Fantastic! That answers my question, but I'm a little bit saddened by the fact that I think this is destined to be a pretty short thread!

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Fantastic! That answers my question, but I'm a little bit saddened by the fact that I think this is destined to be a pretty short thread!

So when protecting a school, should we use a 9mm or a .45, and would a 1911 or a Glock be best...?

Thread will now go on forever.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH

I will help you out with that!

Here again is the info you need!

Yep.
    IC 35-47-9
    IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    35-47-9-1 Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (A) a school; or
    (3) A person who:

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    35-47-9-2 Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've always wondered: how hard would it be to get a school to "authorize" you to carry? Maybe I should send a letter to my school board, just to see the response.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I've always wondered: how hard would it be to get a school to "authorize" you to carry? Maybe I should send a letter to my school board, just to see the response.

These days they would probably see the letter as threatening and contct IDHS to charge you with domestic terrorism. :rolleyes:

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    You could always move to Utah... then you can carry in schools.

Heck, I just wish we could make our school laws not suck. Right now, you can take your gun somewhere you would never expect to be considered a "school" and become a felon without even knowing it. I would prefer we go the way of Utah, but I would even be willing to undergo training to get a "school endorsement" type of thing added to my LTCH. Heck, have the requirements for the endorsement be the same training requirements for LEOs... I would be willing.

At the very least, we should at least make the laws less prone to snagging innocent people trying their best to obey the law.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009

I'm authorized by my school system to act as security, does that mean I can carry my gun when I'm doing security?

The form I signed when I joined said nothing about firearms.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Some school districts will allow people (contact employees) to carry. I know of one certain un named rural district that has more than one bus driver that is armed at all times. Good sound thinking IMO.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So when protecting a school, should we use a 9mm or a .45, and would a 1911 or a Glock be best...?

Thread will now go on forever.

A 9mm Glock of course! Duh!

I hope you do! I'd be interested to see what you find out!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If it's a government school, it isn't going to happen.
    Ye of little faith....

I've been considering a run for school board out here. If I do, and I get on, then anyone who asks (nicely) would get my vote to approve!

The School law is the one the bothers me the most. I can't visit many churches, attend sporting events, or even visit the Children's Museum without parking off-site, securing my firearm, and praying that the BG's don't pick that day. Some silly law certainly won't stop them....

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Heck, I just wish we could make our school laws not suck.

We can.

I wrote an exemption for those licensed to carry handguns many years ago. LSA still has it on file.

We just need a sponsor in the General Assembly and to get organized. Imagine that!:D

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    We can.

I wrote an exemption for those licensed to carry handguns many years ago. LSA still has it on file.

We just need a sponsor in the General Assembly and to get organized. Imagine that!:D

Let's do it! We need to strike while the iron is hott! We have came a little ways in the last few years, lifetime ltch, guns at work, state parks, Hoosiers need to get organized now and keep pushing.:patriot::ingo:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    If it's a government school, it isn't going to happen.

So true. I cant see any of the school districts doing that (at least not around here). The private schools, some churches, etc maybe.

I am surprised that there isnt already a push for this. Someone get on this!

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Ye of little faith....

I've been considering a run for school board out here. If I do, and I get on, then anyone who asks (nicely) would get my vote to approve!

The School law is the one the bothers me the most. I can't visit many churches, attend sporting events, or even visit the Children's Museum without parking off-site, securing my firearm, and praying that the BG's don't pick that day. Some silly law certainly won't stop them....
    The Childrens Museum? Fill me in please?

Top Bottom