• ...and so much more!
  • sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Coal Creek, IN
    So here we go.....

I mentioned it in an earlier thread about Duracoat, and it seemed like a good tutorial and honor a few requests for it.

21388666.jpg

White lettering is very simple and an "anyone can do it DIY" but there are a lot of off information about it I'd like to clear up too so let's start with the ingredients...

Today we will be working with:
    -My wife's Walther P22
    -House of Kolor White enamel paint
    -thinner, stripper, Naptha, non-acetone paint remover, (TruStrip today)*
    -q-tips
    -a couple sheets of paper towels

ba746272.jpg

Typically I use a small brush, but I wanted to use what everyone had laying around for simplification. I chose enamel paint for a few reasons I'll talk about at the end of the thread.

After cleaning the weapon and drying, apply a little (avoid nooks and crannies) paint with a q-tip until you see the letters are filled.

ffe09764.jpg

WAIT.....at least 15 minutes, more if you went heavier on the paint. Do a dab test with a paper towel. If you can dab a little paint without removing from the letters, you should be about ready. You are really only waiting until the paint flash dries. If you wait until it's completely dry, it will just be a little more difficult to remove....no biggie.

Scrape the top later of paint with something PLASTIC. NO NOT USE METAL. In this case I just used the cap from the paint......

49e55718.jpg

You just want to remove a little of the paint off the top. Don't go digging at it.

Then simply fold a square of paper towel with a little thinner* and LIGHTLY wipe the surface. The vast majority of the paint will come off the surface leaving the lettering behind.

369b156c.jpg

Notes for paint: I use enamel because it dries hard and does not fade. You will see people use finger nail polish. This is OK, but I don't recommend it. Have you seen your wife's/GF's toes after a couple of days after painting them? Ew. Finger Nail polish is laquer based. Laquer checks (cracks) with age. It also naturally yellows with age. A few times in and out of a holster it may look like a busted neon sign. "W elc me to W LMART"

Notes for thinner: If you use testor's model paint, use their thinner. If you want to use finger nail polish remover, just make sure it is NON ACETONE. Acetone can melt polymers and remove bluing.

Oh and lastly, do this on a bench in the garage. If you do these things on the kitchen table like I did and spill a drop of thinner on the table like I did....

cccefbe5.jpg

...your wife will be pissed. Then you have to blame your buddy, who's weapon you were working on..:D

Last edited:

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Interesting, I see some of the Garands with the numbers and lettering highlighted and wondered how it was done. Thanks

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    Thanks for the additional link. I was going to ask about other colors and there are some good photo there. The pink isn't my thing, but red could be cool.

Top Bottom