• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    I am new to firearms (just over a year), and I am interested in getting into some old military rifles but I am also on a budget. I know a lot of people will say to get a Mosin, but what other options are out there that wont break the bank? I also just got into reloading and from what I've been told you cannot hand-load for a Mosin, so whatever I buy that will be a requirement (being able to hand-load my own ammo for it).

Looking forward to comments and suggestions.

Thanks,
    Chris

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Have no idea why you could not reload for a Mosin. The only issue would be that surplus ammo was so cheap, why reload? What are you looking for? Anything other than a Mosin will probably cost more. What is your price range?

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    Only some eastern block Mosin brass cant be reloaded. The Mosin is the best deal right now but I have seen some good deals on 98 mauser rifles. Its fun to stop at the local gun shops and see what turns up on the rack.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Mauser and other variants. Nagants and they're variants. Chinese SKS. Should be able to find every one of those still for under 300.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Id have to second the SKS and/or the Mosin Nagant and I would add to the list the Spanish FR8 which is a Mauser action rebarrelled/chambered in 7.62x51(.308). Most FR8's are rearsenaled and can be in like new condition. I just picked one up at auction for $275.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Krag Jorgenson. I have always wanted one, but have never owned one.

OP said he didn't want to break the bank. Krags I've seen, even sporterized ones, are priced high.

As you can see from my avatar, I like mausers. You can find Yugo or Turk mausers at shows and stores under $300, and 8mm mauser is an easy round to find components for reloading.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    I've got a Springfield Krag, an Enfield SMLE, an Ishapore SMLE, a k98, a turkish mauser and an ar. The Krag is very accurate and shooting 116 year old rifle is very cool, the Enfield is from 1905 and is rather beat up but the history just rolls off the gun. The Ishapore shoots .308 which is modern and reloading components are easy to find, the K98 is my 13 year olds favorite, the turk is rather ugly and smells funny and the ar is unfired. I've shot a swiss rifle and really liked it. Mosin is gone the length of pull was way too short ( I'm 6'5"). Bottom line get them all

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Yes CMP is Civilian Marksmanship Program.
    I haven't looked lately, but a few years ago I got a Field Grade M1, MW and TE were near zero but the stock is a little rough. price was $450

BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    I have gotten most of my info from my brother-in-law, he has be into guns for over 30 yrs and when we are at family functions we talk about guns while our wives and their sister bicker.. lol. He is the one who had told me I could not reload for mosin. As to why I want to reload for what I get when surplus ammo is cheap, I know some day the surplus will run out and I cannot afford to stockpile at this time, and I want to be able to create my own ammo for what ever I buy (except rimfire). I just checked CMP and the cheapest M1 Garand is $625 (service grade, they are sold out of field grade). I would probably lean towards bolt action unless its an AK. There are just so many options out there. Thanks again for everyone's input.!

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    I have gotten most of my info from my brother-in-law, he has be into guns for over 30 yrs and when we are at family functions we talk about guns while our wives and their sister bicker.. lol. He is the one who had told me I could not reload for mosin. As to why I want to reload for what I get when surplus ammo is cheap, I know some day the surplus will run out and I cannot afford to stockpile at this time, and I want to be able to create my own ammo for what ever I buy (except rimfire). I just checked CMP and the cheapest M1 Garand is $625 (service grade, they are sold out of field grade). I would probably lean towards bolt action unless its an AK. There are just so many options out there. Thanks again for everyone's input.!
    if you buy a AK make sure you can look at it in person before you buy, check for canted sights and mag wobble. also make sure the trunnions are aligned straight. yugo m70s are a great ak and are normally not to expensive there also new made in europe.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Krag Jorgenson. I have always wanted one, but have never owned one.

You can be my proxy owner. Let me know how you like our rifle after you get it.

Yeah, and you can pick up a Lee-Enfield for me, I always thought they were neat.

Mosin-Nagant
    SKS
    M1 Garand from CMP (or elsewhere) would be nice but they cost more than the others.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Thanks for the info guys, lots to research. When you say CMP is this the correct website Civilian Marksmanship Program ? As to my price range, right now it would probably top out around $300-400 with tax season just around the corner I will have a little extra play money.
    The field grades were $525. I picked my Springfield M1 up in July of 2013 and there were 5 left on the shelf when I did, up at the North Store. They all dried up soon after as far as the field grades. Be patient and have your $$$ ready. There are more Springfields waiting to get ran through by the armorers and they will also be releasing IHC M1's which were made right here in Indiana (Evansville). Id bet by end of March we will see the IHC's. Get your rifle/ammo money together NOW, have a plan to drive up to the CMP North Store in Port Clinton, OH when the rifles are released. You can pick out your rifle then and there and take it home that day! I'll be making a Friday or Saturday run up there when the IHC's are out. ROADTRIP!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    My suggestions for an old battle rifle would be M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Lee Enfield, K98, K31, 1903, Mosin, 1917, Jap Arisaka. All of these are cool rifles that I hope to own one day so I thought i'd just share my list. Most of them are a little more than your price range but if I had one suggestion it would be to get either an enfield and reload the .303 caliber, or else get an M1 Garand or 1903 and start reloading 30.06 because there are so many old combat rifles out there that shoot 30.06. Make that your platforms and expand your collection off of the 30.06 round? Especially if your reloading, it may be a cool way to go.

Either way congrats on getting into them! I love old military rifles and just picked up my first M1 Carbine last week!

BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    My suggestions for an old battle rifle would be M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Lee Enfield, K98, K31, 1903, Mosin, 1917, Jap Arisaka. All of these are cool rifles that I hope to own one day so I thought i'd just share my list. Most of them are a little more than your price range but if I had one suggestion it would be to get either an enfield and reload the .303 caliber, or else get an M1 Garand or 1903 and start reloading 30.06 because there are so many old combat rifles out there that shoot 30.06. Make that your platforms and expand your collection off of the 30.06 round? Especially if your reloading, it may be a cool way to go.

Either way congrats on getting into them! I love old military rifles and just picked up my first M1 Carbine last week!

After researching prices a bit I fear I may have no choice but to start with a Mosin. I may try to hold off a few months and try to make it to a few gun shows to see what shows up. I just got back in contact with an old co-worker who is into the older mil surp rifles as well so I will have a few more people to be a sounding board for my thoughts and ideas of what i want.

Top Bottom