Which for my first rifle? CZ452 or CZ455?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    I'm looking for my first rifle. I want a .22lr so i can inexpensively learn the basics of rifle marksmanship, for the ammo compatibility with my .22lr pistol, and so it can be used at MCFG.

I have been drawn to the CZ line of rifles because I like the idea of getting something made out of wood rather than polymer and many people highly regard the CZs for their high accuracy out of the box, especially for the price. The bolt action ideally will encourage myself to make shots count as well.

I've done some initial research, handled a CZ452 Military Trainer at KS&E, and based on lots of positive reviews, think this might be the one. However, CZ is looking to discontinue the 452 and replace it with the 455 model. The 455 has received positive reviews, but many people have mentioned that the 452 wasn't really 'broken' so they don't understand the need to replace it. The 455 is also more expensive than the 452, but I don't really understand what more I would be getting for the money outside of the ability to swamp the .22lr barrel for a .17hmr barrel or .22WMR on the same firearm.

If this was your first (and maybe only) rifle, would you get the proven track record of the 452, or spend a few more bucks on the latest and greatest 455?

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    I'd say go for the CZ452 if you can still find one for sale. If you don't need the ability to change calibers, there's no reason to spend the extra money on the 455. Use it to buy more ammo and targets!

I don't have a CZ rifle, but every time I see one it makes me want to buy one.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Get the 452 while you can! I have 7 now, I think. All shoot great and are amazingly accurate. I just picked up a 527 Varmint/Target from KS&E Monday and can't wait to test it out. Anyway... the 452s are excellent rifles and are capable of shooting better than most of their owners, including me. The triggers need a little work but they are easy to work on. I put $.40 ACE Hardware springs in all of mine for an instant trigger job! Ed will give ya a good deal on a 452 but you'd better hurry b/c they are drying up. I'm just not sold on the 455s yet but I'd like to shoot one for comparison sometime. :twocents: :yesway:

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    I love my 452 16" american. It is the gun that gets shot the most out of all mine. Shooting it with my supressor brings a smile every time. The only reason I see to get a 455 is that it has a changeable barrel and can actually bought as a kit. If that is something that interest you maybe the 455 would be better for you. CZ-USA -> CZ 455 American

canoeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    I have a 452 with the set trigger.... it is asquirrel killing machine and capable or more accuracy than I am!

hopcam

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have a 455 and several 452s. I'd get the 452 while you still can. You'll be able to get a 455 later when you're ready for more.

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    Picked up the last 452 - Military Trainer in .22LR on Saturday for $339 at KS&E. Both guys commented how this particular one had the best wood they've seen on a 452 in a while. Considering this model is going out of production and online it goes for 350-ish, I consider this a pretty good deal. Plastic/polymer 10-round mags matched online prices at $25 so I got a couple of those as well.

+1 to KS&E, Never purchased from them before, nice guys, they like to chat. Will definitely buy from them again if its a CZ or if I know they can order me something as they don't have a large inventory.

Took the 452 out to MCFG on rainy Saturday so didn't do much paper shooting. Hit the 100 yard steel plate (about pie plate size) over and over. The 452 is wayy more accurate than my skills are. I hope to pickup a sling and go to the Appleseed at the end of May to hone my skills.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Picked up the last 452 - Military Trainer in .22LR on Saturday for $339 at KS&E. Both guys commented how this particular one had the best wood they've seen on a 452 in a while. Considering this model is going out of production and online it goes for 350-ish, I consider this a pretty good deal. Plastic/polymer 10-round mags matched online prices at $25 so I got a couple of those as well.

+1 to KS&E, Never purchased from them before, nice guys, they like to chat. Will definitely buy from them again if its a CZ or if I know they can order me something as they don't have a large inventory.

I wanted that rifle! I tried to trade my NIB Lux for it b/c the wood is so nice. Lol. I've bought most of my CZs from Ed. He definitely will deal on the prices. All of my 452s are great shooters and I can't wait to see how my 527 Varmint shoots. You'll love the CZ the more you shoot it and make sure to try different ammo to find the one it really likes. I like to shoot the CCI SV and Federal Auto Match. :yesway:

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I'm looking for my first rifle. I want a .22lr so i can inexpensively learn the basics of rifle marksmanship, for the ammo compatibility with my .22lr pistol, and so it can be used at MCFG.

I have been drawn to the CZ line of rifles because I like the idea of getting something made out of wood rather than polymer and many people highly regard the CZs for their high accuracy out of the box, especially for the price. The bolt action ideally will encourage myself to make shots count as well.

I've done some initial research, handled a CZ452 Military Trainer at KS&E, and based on lots of positive reviews, think this might be the one. However, CZ is looking to discontinue the 452 and replace it with the 455 model. The 455 has received positive reviews, but many people have mentioned that the 452 wasn't really 'broken' so they don't understand the need to replace it. The 455 is also more expensive than the 452, but I don't really understand what more I would be getting for the money outside of the ability to swamp the .22lr barrel for a .17hmr barrel or .22WMR on the same firearm.

If this was your first (and maybe only) rifle, would you get the proven track record of the 452, or spend a few more bucks on the latest and greatest 455?

I bought a CZ 452 Military Trainer several months ago on sale for $399. Couldn't wait to shoot it...my first shot was in basement at 35' away from makeshift target (wife not home). I never saw it hit an couldn't find it. I got my glasses and noticed it hit the black diamond bullseye so direct that only one point on the diamond showed. I'm happy with it.

Top Bottom