which for a beginner to shooting sports?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Which would be better? I will be running my G19 most likely, as it is what I carry.

My question is which would have the easiest learning curve? Or not penalize me for not running a 1911?

I am wanting to start this in the spring, and have no idea the difference really. I've watched videos, and attempted to look at the rule pdf's. I honestly just mix the two up.

What would you guys recommend? I plan on traveling throughout the state once or twice a month for it, so any help would be awesome. :)

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    steel challenge. This will get you used to range commands and competing. From there, USPSA and or IDPA. You are close to Warsaw and Fort Wayne clubs. I'm pretty sure Fort Wayne has a steel match. I do not recall if Warsaw does. Fort Wayne I believe runs a Thursday night USPSA style practice session during the season. I'm sure those folks can guide you. If you get an opportunity to take a competition class from coach, I highly recommend it

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I would try Steel Challenge and shoot in their GSSF division. You wouldn't have to draw from a holster for your first match (less to worry about) and you'd be competing against folks with similar gear.

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    I second the steel matches as a start. It has little to no movement, and will let you get used to range commands without the added stress of a complex stage design. USPSA, IDPA and steel matches are the common matches you will find and none of them will be a disappointment.

Each shooting discipline has different rules, but dont let that discourage you from trying all of them. You will NEVER find a match where people arent willing to help you out while keeping in mind that you are a new shooter. I can almost guarantee that the first match you go to will also be the first match for others there. We are a friendly bunch of folks who love to introduce new people into the sports.

Myself, I love to compete but I have my roots (and still keep them) in defensive/"tactical" shooting. Every time I shoot a match I gain knowledge that can keep me alive if the need arises and I have to use my EDC gun.

I will warn you that competing is more addictive than that crack cocaine these hooligans in my generation get hooked on. Prepare for your wife to be displeased with your new found addiction and your constant deliveries from your new friend, the UPS driver.

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    I would try Steel Challenge and shoot in their GSSF division. You wouldn't have to draw from a holster for your first match (less to worry about) and you'd be competing against folks with similar gear.

Are there any GSSF matches on the books yet in the state? Ive acquired a few of them in the last few months and would like to give them a try in one of these matches.

R

rajendersingh90

steel shallenge will just make you perfect and capable of playing the tough challenges

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Start with 3-Gun! Buy thousand's of $$$ of gear, spend hundred's of $$ at the match and go home feeling like you are Rambo!:)

I am going to try Steel Challenge this year if I can score some ammo.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Totally forgot about this. My work schedule isn't very helpful to competing, so I may have to just plink at hillside and time myself. Boo to that.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Yeah, I'm just southwest of Ft Wayne.

Please consider joining us at Fort Wayne Area Practical Shooters (FWAPS) for USPSA.
    http://www.fwaps.org/info.html
    Welcome to USPSA.org - Home of the United States Practical Shooting Association

We hold weekly practice sessions on Thursday nights if you would like to check it out and get your feet wet outside of a match environment. You can see this thread for more details:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/shooting_sports/287469-fwaps_uspsa_practice_sessions.html

Your G19 is perfect for the sport.

-rvb

THarris88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    IDPA sounds fun..what is the steel course everyone is talking about?

Is there a link that can be provided?

Top Bottom