Which design/modeling 2d and 3d software to learn? AutoCAD, maya, inventor etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I have the opportunity to learn autocad, maya, and inventor (all autodesk programs) for free. I am going to focus some of my time to learn one of these but I don't think I have enough time to get through the course material for all of them so I would like to choose one or two(and even some that are not on that list) I am currently majoring in mechanical engineering and I would like to learn 3d modeling as well. Id like to learn some animation but thats not absolutely necessary. What do you think?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    My company uses AutoCAD, but each company is different. Depends on what sort of things/projects you plan to work on and design. Usually it seems that companies in the same "fields" tend to lean to a certain product or another.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Inventor is good, free Inventor is great. I think all ME students should learn SolidWorks. It's cheap, it's powerful, but not crazy like Catia or UG. Once you learn HOW to build 3d models in SolidWorks, making the transition to a bigger and better platform is just learning a new vocabulary and learning the additional features of the more advanced platforms:twocents:.

Oh yeah, and screw AutoCad, 2d is dead.;)

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    As far as 2D goes, most companies we deal with use AutoCAD...i think the1kidd03 kit the nail on the head, sort of a "companies of a feather flock together" situation.

Depending on where you end up working though, you may rarely use 2D modeling programs...i took classes for AutoCAD and only use it to view/edit existing drawings. Everything my company designs/builds is modeled with a 3D program (SolidWorks). If you are able to, i would highly recommend a 3D modeling class...given the choice, Id use mine over any 2D program. It's just too fun to be able to spin stuff around! :):

How far along in school are you?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My dad has been a design engineer for 25 years. Solidworks is what he is using now. When he was laid off from his previous job and was looking for a new one, most of the company's required knowledge of Solidworks. (This is in the RV industry if it matters)

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Inventor is good, free Inventor is great. I think all ME students should learn SolidWorks. It's cheap, it's powerful, but not crazy like Catia or UG. Once you learn HOW to build 3d models in SolidWorks, making the transition to a bigger and better platform is just learning a new vocabulary and learning the additional features of the more advanced platforms:twocents:.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Oh yeah, and screw AutoCad, 2d is dead.;)

Come on, its still has its place somewhere....3rd world country maybe? :):

All kidding aside though, i still see it alot...i think its good for piping layouts or wiring diagrams, but 3D programs have packages you can buy that blow it out of the water in both cases.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Thanks for the suggestions! Im first year. I can't get solid works for my mac but I may dual boot windows so I can use it.

A few guys in class did this...i may be wrong, but i seem to recall them having crashing issues :dunno: This has more than likely been fixed over the years though...Solidworks does a good job with their updates

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't know that it will matter which one you pick. All companies use a different software.

Just learning one will look good, because it will show that you can learn. Those software packages are free for a reason. After you learn them, I doubt you'll ever use it again.

I learned some 3D modeling and 2D animation in college. Never used it outside of that.

We had autocad and some version of solid works at school.

I use NX and Ansys exclusively now.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    During my 40 years in manufacturing I have used both Autocad and several of its vertical applications (Mechanical, Mechanical Desktop, Inventor, 3D Studio). Learning Autocad can help learn proper drafting practices if you will be creating engineering drawings (blueprints). Inventor is useful in creating solid models which allows you to verify the fit of components in an assembly and some limited FEA. Autodesk Inventor packages used to include 3D Studio which allowed simple animations of moving assemblies. Maya is more of a presentation software used in graphic design. There used to be compatability issues between Invento files and Maya files but that may be resolved. Because these are free to you they are helpful in learning the basics of computer aided drafting and 3D modeling which will make learning the more widely used Solidworks and others.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Unfortunately, I would say that Pro/ENGINEER is probably the standard, but a good working knowledge of SolidWorks may get you in the door. Having AutoCAD experience isn't a negative by any means, but the places I've worked have only used it for plant/department/floor layouts, mostly.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    During my 40 years in manufacturing I have used both Autocad and several of its vertical applications (Mechanical, Mechanical Desktop, Inventor, 3D Studio). Learning Autocad can help learn proper drafting practices if you will be creating engineering drawings (blueprints). Inventor is useful in creating solid models which allows you to verify the fit of components in an assembly and some limited FEA. Autodesk Inventor packages used to include 3D Studio which allowed simple animations of moving assemblies. Maya is more of a presentation software used in graphic design. There used to be compatability issues between Invento files and Maya files but that may be resolved. Because these are free to you they are helpful in learning the basics of computer aided drafting and 3D modeling which will make learning the more widely used Solidworks and others easier.

redgreenrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Decatur county
    The basic concepts carry over in most of the parasolid modeling software like SolidWorks, Inventor, ProE/Creo, etc.. The buttons are just in different location and your workflow is a little different. Once you learn one, picking up another is usually pretty easy. From what I've seen SolidWorks and ProE/Creo are the big dogs as far as parasolids go. These are great for mechanical design and tend to be more user friendly. ProE/Creo might be the exception there. When you get into designs with complex curved surfaces. like in automobiles and airplanes programs like CATIA or NX are used.
    You might look into ProE/Creo for a free copy. I was able to get Creo V2 free a few years ago because I was a Purdue student. Any route you go just make sure you have a computer that can handle the software.

Top Bottom