• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I have been saving for a case of 9mm ammo. I have seen a few pistols i want for a good price at the moment. Some of those models are in the classifieds, but I'm not paying $300 for a g3c when i can buy new for $229. I think you know where I'm going with that.
    So.. Should i get the good price on a pistol and buy ammo later OR wait and buy the ammo first?? I'm going to the Plymouth gun show in the morning and hard telling what might happen there.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I have 1 round of 10 mm, that I've had for years, still can't justify buying a 10mm gun for that round....I also have 9 rounds of 30 carbine ammo......
    I'm kidding, it is really the chicken and the egg argument.....you do you.....

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I have 1 round of 10 mm, that I've had for years, still can't justify buying a 10mm gun for that round....I also have 9 rounds of 30 carbine ammo......
    I'm kidding, it is really the chicken and the egg argument.....you do you.....
    I have multiple things that take 9mm. I have 100rd or so left. I will only buy a firearm in a caliber i already have. Way too many calibers out there and i have like 9 different calibers i use, some more than others. Because 45acp is a bit expensive at this time...i have been sticking with 9mm for pistols. Calibers i have are
    22lr, 223/556, 38sp, 45lc, 45acp, 9mm,410ga,20ga,12ga

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was gonna say that if you think you must buy the pistol first, buy a gen 5 glock of some sort.

Resale will be much easier when you find you need to sell the pistol to buy ammo. :)

Seriously, I'd sell off all of the .45 ACP stuff you have. The guns are losing value due to the caliber going the way of the dodo. The ammo is just too expensive and won't get any better, due to lack of a market for it.

I was a 1911 guy for many years. Sold 'em all, along with all the ammo and components a few years back.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I was gonna say that if you think you must buy the pistol first, buy a gen 5 glock of some sort.

Resale will be much easier when you find you need to sell the pistol to buy ammo. :)

Seriously, I'd sell off all of the .45 ACP stuff you have. The guns are losing value due to the caliber going the way of the dodo. The ammo is just too expensive and won't get any better, due to lack of a market for it.

I was a 1911 guy for many years. Sold 'em all, along with all the ammo and components a few years back.
    I only have my ruger sr1911. I love it and dont want to part with it. I have some rounds for it but not many, so haven't shot it in a couple years. I don't like glocks, but the dagger series i know are clones but somewhat look apealing. I'm more looking at Taurus G series, m&p 2.0 and couple other of those that are in the $300 to 400 range new. Lots of good reviews and videos on those "cheap" priced pistols. I was looking at getting another used pps m2, but again they are priced for new ones. I even was looking at an original pps and at $350..no thanks, especially since i paid that for my lightly used pps m2 LE ve4sion.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

It cost me $10.50 for 50rds to reload 230gr coated hardcast 45acp. That's with current primer, powder, and bullet prices.
    10mm is about the same.
    9mm is around $8.50 with 147gr bullets.

If I didn't reload i probably would not shoot much at all.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    It cost me $10.50 for 50rds to reload 230gr coated hardcast 45acp. That's with current primer, powder, and bullet prices.
    10mm is about the same.
    9mm is around $8.50 with 147gr bullets.

If I didn't reload i probably would not shoot much at all.
    I was going to get into reloading 10 years ago, but then everything fell apart and such. I'm very lucky to have what i got. I buy things to fix and make a few bux off and it's been slow going, but I'm still here.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I was going to get into reloading 10 years ago, but then everything fell apart and such. I'm very lucky to have what i got. I buy things to fix and make a few bux off and it's been slow going, but I'm still here.
    If you can, hit up a few auctions.
    I found a hidden treasure late last year at an estate sale.
    I walked out with a Bonanza brand ("Forster" knockoff, but well built) coaxial press for a mere $35
    Those things sell used for more than $200

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    If you can, hit up a few auctions.
    I found a hidden treasure late last year at an estate sale.
    I walked out with a Bonanza brand ("Forster" knockoff, but well built) coaxial press for a mere $35
    Those things sell used for more than $200
    Wow, i don't remember last time i went to an auction. It's been a few years since i went to a gun show too. I'm pretty good at NOT being one of those impulse buyer also. I can have cash on me, want something and then not buy cause i didn't want to spend the cash. Some things i do need now while some things i can live without.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Wow, i don't remember last time i went to an auction. It's been a few years since i went to a gun show too. I'm pretty good at NOT being one of those impulse buyer also. I can have cash on me, want something and then not buy cause i didn't want to spend the cash. Some things i do need now while some things i can live without.
    My point is you can piece meal your way into handloading.
    You don't have to buy everything at once.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My point is you can piece meal your way into handloading.
    You don't have to buy everything at once.
    Once you get set up and start reloading. Depending on caliber and the bullets you load you can pay for and actually save money on your first 1000rds.

I just picked up a bunch of 147gr HST bullets. 10.6 cents each delivered to my door.
    Once I load up 50rds of them they will have paid for themselves, and I have many more to load afterwards.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Well both of course, if you have the ammo, great,
    But if you have nothing to put it in, and need a gun, well then, not so great.
    Vis versa, you have gun but no ammo.
    Get the gun, include a few boxes of ammo and a couple extra mags for it.
    Keep safe, build upon that.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    You can have all the ammo in the world and it won’t do you any good if you don’t have a gun to shoot it from. Also what if you stock up on 9mm and then run upon a sweet deal for a .45 or 357? Just seems to me that the gun would be the biggest expense and that all other purchases would be dependent on the gun chosen.
    I vote get the gun you want first and then ammo, holsters and anything else you may need or want.

Top Bottom