• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Getting ready to place an order for a case of 55 grain 223 to beat the pending price jump, so I thought I'd get everyone in an uproar by asking...

PMC Bronze : In sealed 200 round battle packs!
    Prvi Partizan : 'Cause Serbs kick ass.
    Winchester : Made by Lake City, loose in a can.

I was going to get 556, but heard there would be more case prep needed if/when I reload them?

EDIT: The comment I saw on ARF had something to do with primer crimp. /end EDIT

Never loaded 223 so I may just be flappnig my lips.

Feel free to add anything I should consider that I may not be. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    The only extra case prep for military 5.56 would be a crimped primer that requires swaging. Extra step and requires a tool. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of it.

If you already have good ammo on hand then you are good to go with whatever is cheap. I've had case sticking issues with steel cased, but I still have some and still use it for plinking. So maybe avoid it.

PPU typically gets good votes for good ammunition as well as good brass to reload, but if you don't have any equipment AND the components to reload remember those are also subject to the increased future prices.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    IME the PMC is the most accurate, and also the slowest, by far. I haven't shot much of the Winchester Lake City stuff but I wasn't impressed, not as good as the Federal from the past. The Winchester and Privi are about equal, with the Winchester having better brass for reloading.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I'm a store in a ammo can guy, I have mil ammo I bought decades ago that in in cans that still look new.
    I vote for Win in a can.
    Why the 55 and not the 62 grain ammo?
    From what I read/heard -- and I'm admittedly NOT an expert -- is that 55 was good for old fashioned shooting at paper, training classes or anti-personel use, while 62 grain had greater barrier penetration but tended to go though stuff and then into the thing behind it.

My ARs have 1:7 barrels. I am essentially an AK / Warsaw Pact guy starting to migrate to NATO gear. :):

Got reloading gear, but have not done rilfe...yet.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    The 62's are more in line with your modern 1-7" fast twist rifle.
    You know, I had a chart that matched up grains with barrel twist and I recall something along those lines.

I found it:

Ar-15-Rifling-Twist-Rate.jpg

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You know, I had a chart that matched up grains with barrel twist and I recall something along those lines.

I found it:

Ar-15-Rifling-Twist-Rate.jpg
    If you buy a varmint 223 is most likely will have a 1-10" or a 1-12" twist and is meant to shoot 40 - 55 grain bullets.

I have a Cooper in 223 with a 1 - 12" twist, with a lead core bullet it will stabilize up to a 60 grain bullet.
    I also have a old Remington 700 PSS in 223 with a 1-9" twist, with a lead core bullet it will stabilize up to a 69 grain bullet.

With the length of the SS109 steel core bullet that bullet will loose yaw and tumble before it gets to 50 yards.
    You can watch it loose yaw with the disturbance in the air when it happens, with both of those rifles.

All but one of are AR's, are 1-7" except one. They all love 62 through 77 grainers.

Last edited:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Might see if you can find some Norma. I have a bunch and for 250 yards and in it shoots pretty well in my 16” 1:8 twist. It shoots pretty clean and brass is pretty nice too I have been told (am not a reloader). Most accurate ammo in my rifle has been 68 gr 5.56

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I have not given up on this, just had a major car repair which has delayed the purchase. I'll keep ya'll posted, all feedback has been welcome!

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    You'll want the stuff that shoots best in your rifle.
    While ARs are not as picky as .22s are, you can find significantly smaller groups with the right stuff.

I've got one that really likes heavier bullets, and another that prefers the lighter ones.
    If it's torso sized steel, I'll take the one with the least packaging I have to throw away.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    From what I read/heard -- and I'm admittedly NOT an expert -- is that 55 was good for old fashioned shooting at paper, training classes or anti-personel use, while 62 grain had greater barrier penetration but tended to go though stuff and then into the thing behind it.

My ARs have 1:7 barrels. I am essentially an AK / Warsaw Pact guy starting to migrate to NATO gear. :):

Got reloading gear, but have not done rilfe...yet.
    Ok, I bet I have and extra set of 223 dies I would be more than happy to forward them to you.
    Just pm me a shipping address.
    You might just get a gift bag.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    My vote would be to spend money on a press, powder and primers. Many people here will teach you to reload. You'll get 2:1 or even 3:1 more ammo if you make it yourself.
    Hey, I took one of your classes a long time ago! :D

Got the gear, now I just need need some free time.

Top Bottom