• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 12cans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Hi,

New to AR's - excuse any ignorance on my part.

If a new ban were to come, which AR "parts" would be banned?

I do not have the money to buy full AR's now (would like one for myself and one for my son). What should I buy parts should I buy now that might be banned later.

I'd like to buy the most important parts now. Can I assume other parts will still be legal?

I'm guessing it is the lower receiver I would want to buy now? Still confused on the terminiology but see many references to kits sold without the lower reciever - so I'm guessing this is the part that is most likely to be banned?

Thanks in advance for your help.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I cannot tell the future, or if there will even be a ban.

With the last ban though, a lower had to be built into a rifle prior to it's enactment I believe.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My crystal ball says they will only ban triggers. Can't use an AR without a trigger!

Sorry, couldn't resist. How about doing like me and flooding our so-called reps with emails and snail mails about our constitutional rights.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I think that from the budget perspective the best bet is to buy/order the hardest to obtain parts first, and obviously the lower. Also makes sense to configure the gun into the most politically incorrect gun right off the bat. For example some of the liberal whining bed wetters seems to have their panties in a bunch over the adjustable buttstocks. So even if you don't know if you want one, put one on! You can always change an adjustable stock to a fixed stock later, but if the ban does happen then it is very unlikely you'd be able to change a fixed to an adjustable stock. Same with flash hiders versus muzzle brakes. Build the gun with a flash hider, those are "evil" according to the Brady crowd, but not so a muzzle brake. Again, you can switch to a brake from a hider but likely not the other way around. Bayonet lug?!? Not sure what good they are for my uses, but what the heck, built it with one (all but 3 of mine have them).

Still realize that the whole gun may be required to be built by the time the ban, if it happens, takes place. Best bet is to start buying bits and pieces every week/month as the budget allows.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Buy complete rifles.... parts have a way of becoming completed rifles anyhow: :dunno:

lowers002.jpg

ARfamilypic002.jpg

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Still realize that the whole gun may be required to be built by the time the ban, if it happens, takes place. Best bet is to start buying bits and pieces every week/month as the budget allows.

I don't get the must be built before the ban part. You buy the lower and that's the only part that you have to do paperwork on, so presumably the only part the .gov can control whether you buy. As long as you get all the evil parts you want to assemble later, who's to say when it is actually assembled? You don't have to put any paperwork through to mate an upper to a lower as far as I know.

Serious question here, not trying to be a wiseguy.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I don't get the must be built before the ban part. You buy the lower and that's the only part that you have to do paperwork on, so presumably the only part the .gov can control whether you buy. As long as you get all the evil parts you want to assemble later, who's to say when it is actually assembled? You don't have to put any paperwork through to mate an upper to a lower as far as I know.

Serious question here, not trying to be a wiseguy.

I agree, unless there is a gun registration (unlikley), how would anyone know when a gun was built and in what configuration.

To the OP, I would also try to stock up on full cap mags and lower parts kits.

Top Bottom