• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you are tall and lanky or Audie Murphy sized, one may have issues with M4 on the deck, where you will likely be in a fight, as it is recoil assisted.

Something to consider.

Personally, happy with either.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    My 1301 is my favorite gun in my safe.

I have zero experience with the M4 (or its brothers), however. So, I can't make a comparison.

I'm taking my time building out the 1301, but I added the Briley handguard for m-lok attachments.

Also, I'll probably choose a red-dot pretty soon as well.

Here's mine, currently.

coNTuvX.jpg

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Which would you get a Beretta 1301 or a Benelli M4. Cost difference does not matter. Will be used for home defense, some 3 gun, and may go in the field for rabbit. I will carry in Southern Ohio, a few miles from the Ohio and Scioto Rivers, when walking mom's farm for black bear. She lost two calves this last spring to bears. Most of the ground is hills, lots of woods with a large creek running through it.

I have never shot the 1301. But, my M4 is the most amazing shotgun I’ve ever shot. Recoil is the best managed I’ve felt. Super smooth action and stays on target.

Attachments

• F7BABF14-12FD-4CD8-AB1A-17153E06D749.jpeg
      F7BABF14-12FD-4CD8-AB1A-17153E06D749.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 3

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    vV03Aus.jpg

I would look REALLY hard at the new Beretta A300 Patrol , I actually like the 300 series gas system myself over the 1301's Blink system (the 300 series operates slower therefore less felt recoil). It's still a Beretta and it's several hundred cheaper than the 1301. The one I handled at the gun club almost went home with me , but I just bought a Browning 725 so my gun budged is in shambles currently.

Yes I have laid hands on that exact shotgun and it is awesome. I will be getting one eventually to have a semi auto shotgun

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I wanted a 1301 but when I was looking I couldn’t find one anywhere. I stumbled upon a great deal on a Mossberg 930 Tactical and have been very pleased with it. I put an XS Big Dot sight on it and a larger extended safety and it does pretty much what I want it to do. Shoots great and handles very well. I’d still like a 1301 but for now the 930 does the job.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've had the same debate for years, and one of the reasons I like a semi auto over a pump is feeling less recoil. I'm curious which of the two feels like less recoil when shooting. There has been some great reviews coming out about Beretta's new A300, but it's not proven by time yet would be my only hesitation.

As far as bears go, every guide I've ever hunted with or talked to tracks wounded bears with a 12ga pump full of slugs. I'd have zero hesitation about seeking out black bears with a 12ga slug.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have an M4 and love it. Great shooter and I like the military pedigree. But I have been looking at 1301s since Langdon Tactical started working their magic on them. Now, I am also intrigued by Beretta's new A300 Patrol. Looks to have some great upgrades for a decent price point.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've had the same debate for years, and one of the reasons I like a semi auto over a pump is feeling less recoil. I'm curious which of the two feels like less recoil when shooting. There has been some great reviews coming out about Beretta's new A300, but it's not proven by time yet would be my only hesitation.

As far as bears go, every guide I've ever hunted with or talked to tracks wounded bears with a 12ga pump full of slugs. I'd have zero hesitation about seeking out black bears with a 12ga slug.
    I understand the hesitation but the 300 is not new, the 300 action has been around for a long time. The basic 300 was upgraded to the 300 Ultima a couple years ago and the Ultima was upgraded slightly to the Patrol.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I'd go with an M4. The AR version of course...

Now if I had to stick with the shotguns as described... the 1301. That, however, is solely based on what I've read, or seen in review videos.
    My own is the 930 SPX, and it does well enough for me, though it gets little use. Just not a "shotgun" kinda guy.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Actually in between the same two shotguns myself.

I have two 870s, one lives in the bedroom safe and one is my hunting shotgun. I'm considering selling the one in the bedroom and replacing it with an auto incase my wife ever had to use it. She physically can't rack the 870 and I'm afraid recoil will be an issue. Leaning 1301 because price, but the M4 supposedly handles recoil better but is quite a bit heavier too and considerably more expensive so tradeoffs. May try a 930 or 940 I'm not sure. Which ever one will have to cycle reduced recoil loads without issue

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

I have two 870s, one lives in the bedroom safe and one is my hunting shotgun. I'm considering selling the one in the bedroom and replacing it with an auto incase my wife ever had to use it. She physically can't rack the 870 and I'm afraid recoil will be an issue. Leaning 1301 because price, but the M4 supposedly handles recoil better but is quite a bit heavier too and considerably more expensive so tradeoffs. May try a 930 or 940 I'm not sure. Which ever one will have to cycle reduced recoil loads without issue

A300 has less felt recoil than an 1301 FYI

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

I don't mean this in any kind of a negative way at all, but is she's struggling to rack an 870 isn't the recoil from just about any kind of 12ga shotgun going to put her on her backside? Have you considered any other option for her?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I don't mean this in any kind of a negative way at all, but is she's struggling to rack an 870 isn't the recoil from just about any kind of 12ga shotgun going to put her on her backside? Have you considered any other option for her?
    She struggles with the 870 because of the length of pull. Her arms aren't long enough and she short strokes it (giggidy). But yes I have considered an auto loading 20ga they just don't seem to be as prevalent. And then I'd have to stock another caliber so.... I'm hoping an auto 12 with low recoil loads will work for her, if not I want a good auto loader anyway and I'll look for her a 20ga.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    She struggles with the 870 because of the length of pull. Her arms aren't long enough and she short strokes it (giggidy). But yes I have considered an auto loading 20ga they just don't seem to be as prevalent. And then I'd have to stock another caliber so.... I'm hoping an auto 12 with low recoil loads will work for her, if not I want a good auto loader anyway and I'll look for her a 20ga.
    If she can handle the recoil on the 870 and it’s just a LOP issue tou could get a youth stock, an AR type collapsible stock or a short tactical stock for it. Might work.

Top Bottom