• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Beech Grove Firearms, USDS and Indy Trading post will all answer your questions and let you handle multiple firearms.

As for shooting them, Indy Trading Post has a pretty decent selection of guns to rent. Point Blank in Carmel also has a large selection of rental guns if you don't mind driving north.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would for sure go with the G17

Looks wont make you shoot any better and will only cost more. Spend the extra money on ammo, a holster, and more mags.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Glocks work and carry well, a nice bonus is you can later buy a carbine in 9mm and use the same magazines in it. Working higher cap mags, 33 rounders, are also easily available and function correctly. Glock also has a plethora of aftermarket accessories. I carry a 19, built my 17 up as a comped race gun, and bought a 17 frame to use with a Mech Tech upper. The Just Right Carbine also uses Glock mags.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    How about a good old Beretta FS92? I've had mine about 15 years. Never a problem and easy to maintain. You can probably get a decent one for around $500.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    You know, I have my favorites. But for a new shooter, I would recommend trying to find a few people that would let you try theirs first. Then you can organize a little mini meet & greet (with shooting).

I would shoot as many pistols as I could before I decided blindly on the one based on suggestions from a bunch of people who are possibly built different or have different backgrounds and experiences.

Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    What about a SA XDM 9mm bitone? I think that's a sharp looking gun that's full size. No one has brought that one up yet?

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    What about a SA XDM 9mm bitone? I think that's a sharp looking gun that's full size. No one has brought that one up yet?

Good suggestion right here. I've got the 3.8 Compact in bitone, and it's dead-nuts accurate. It is nice looking, and IMO, it carries well. I still vote for the CZ P-01 if I could only have one 9mm, but I won't let go of my XDM any time soon.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    4487CZ_Motivator_zpsyufbgiv0.jpg

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    would they be friendly to a newbie who wants to play 20 questions and hold 3-4 different guns?

In my experience, it's sort of like guitar stores: they're staffed by people who are enthusiastic about what they sell, and don't mind sharing that (including showing their stock). But here's the corollary: if you're not sure about doing something, ASK.

Oh, and if I could only keep one, and it had to be my carry gun, I'd take an M&P full size. I can accept that Glocks and XDs are nice, but I like mine made in the USA.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I would go to one of those indor shooting ranges in/around Indy and try a bunch of different ones. It really depends on your own likes/dislikes. Do you want metal or plastic, safety/no safety. Striker fired/single action/double action/single action double action/ revolve. Double stack high capacity or single stack. Do you want to add a lazer or light? It's hard to say what's the best because what's best for me may not be best for you.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    You know, I have my favorites. But for a new shooter, I would recommend trying to find a few people that would let you try theirs first. Then you can organize a little mini meet & greet (with shooting).

I would shoot as many pistols as I could before I decided blindly on the one based on suggestions from a bunch of people who are possibly built different or have different backgrounds and experiences.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. If you can only buy one, take your time and at least borrow/rent 3-4 to try out, before spending the money. If none of those 3-4 suit you, then keep looking.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    You could buy just one?
    I'm thinking about getting one and the bugdet says only one and only one for a long time. I want it to be full size and high quality first. And look nice secondly.
    Which is why I'm torn, a lot of people swear by the g17-g19 buy they arnt much to look at. It will be used as range and home protection.
    I'm not familiar with any of the sig line of guns. Or hk or even cz are they higher quality than glock or springfield ?

get the Glock 17, Trijicon HD's, lots of ammo, maybe a rail light, practice practice practice

Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Different people have a different definition for "full size" but, if you are using the industry sizing from the manufacturers, then the SIG P226 in 9mm is likely the best choice. In 9mm, it is amazing how easy the gun is to control. For a mass-produced line gun, I don't think there has been a better full size 9mm yet made.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I really like my CZ75B in stainless. As a home protection/range gun, it works well and man is it sexy! It is too big and heavy to be a good conceal carry IMO.

I would be careful about thinking you will just have one, they sort of have a way of multiplying.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Lots of good choices mentioned but this is going to be YOUR handgun. Like you mentioned, go to a shop with a good selection and see how they fit your hand--and how do they 'point' for you?; what is the trigger like and how does the length fit your finger?; how is it operating the controls? have fun shopping!

Top Bottom